Apple introduces Penryn-based MacBooks and MacBook Pros

Comments

• Reply 381 of 423
    So, I called MacMall, waited on hold for 45 minutes, to change from a regular screen to glossy screen (which I hope was a good decision) and they told me that the MacBook Pros won't be in their warehouse until March 7. I am using UPS Ground (for free after rebate), and since the computer will be going from California to Florida, that's a one week delivery time.

So, I have to add another two weeks of waiting time for my first Mac.

AFADFAJHFOAHRFUDHFLHFJHDS

:grumble :
  • Reply 382 of 423
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by switcher3365 View Post

:gru mble:

It'll be worth the wait
  • Reply 383 of 423
    Hi. I'm a student in Florida...I've had Sony notebooks for a while. I love them. I'm making a jump to Mac, and I want the MacBookPro.

I need to know when the new case design is coming out, because I want to have one for at least three years...and i'm pretentious so I want the "new" one.

I've read on this forum anywhere between JULY 08 and DECEMBER 08.

Any advice? Anyone who KNOWS?

help me Obiwan Kenobee, you're my only hope.
  • Reply 384 of 423
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nikeddemus View Post

Hi. I'm a student in Florida...I've had Sony notebooks for a while. I love them. I'm making a jump to Mac, and I want the MacBookPro.

I need to know when the new case design is coming out, because I want to have one for at least three years...and i'm pretentious so I want the "new" one.

I've read on this forum anywhere between JULY 08 and DECEMBER 08.

Any advice? Anyone who KNOWS?

help me Obiwan Kenobee, you're my only hope.

1) Welcome to AI and to Macs.

2) Obiwan was murdered a long. long time ago in a galaxy far, far way.

3) July is out of the question as that tentative date is only for Itnel's release, not Apple's. With a new case design there may be some additional delay for testing. We really don't know.

4) Intel may push it back because of issues or because they have such a large lead onAMD. They've done it before.

5) If you need a machine now, buying the latest MBP isn't a bad choice and the hardware is all tried and true at this point. There is something to be said for not jumping on a Rev. A case machine.
  • Reply 385 of 423
    So next year I'll get the new case design. I'll be the coolest kid on the block. I hope the macbook pro looks totally different when I get it.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate you Apple people. You're a bright bunch.

Thanks!
  • Reply 386 of 423
    Quote:

So next year I'll get the new case design. I'll be the coolest kid on the block.

... 6 months before the next update comes out.

Quote:

I appreciate you Apple people. You're a bright bunch.

"Apple people" arejust as smart-and dumb-as the rest of the world, but I will say that Apple forums, specifically this site and MacOSXHints.com tend to have a good deal more knowledgeable and friendly people willing to help than most sites.
  • Reply 387 of 423
    Quote:

So next year I'll get the new case design. I'll be the coolest kid on the block. I hope the macbook pro looks totally different when I get it.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate you Apple people. You're a bright bunch.

Thanks!

Just be really careful. Apple will likely come out with a MacBook Plus with a Blu_Ray drive this June and charge you you $2,000+ for it...in terms of throw away what you have now and buy a new computer.

Does no single person on this site understand what I've been trying to say?

Apple abandons current users and offers them no upgrade path.

How many different ways do I need to say that?

Regards,

DT
  • Reply 388 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Just be really careful. Apple will likely come out with a MacBook Plus with a Blu_Ray drive this June and charge you you $2,000+ for it...in terms of throw away what you have now and buy a new computer.

No, I don't; and you lost me at your "throw away what you have now" hyperbole.
  • Reply 389 of 423
    When Apple comes out with Blu-Ray, and you can't upgrade it on your $2,500 MacBook Pro, you'll understand the hyperbole (which is technically a euphemism).

DT
  • Reply 390 of 423
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:

Regards,

DT

And your point?

Maybe we do get what you are trying to say, and just don't care. Apple adding Blu-Ray means what? Squat. Its not a feature I care for nor will it cause me to go out and buy the latest and newest anything. As you grow up you'll realize that it the marketing weenies who are after your money that insist that you always have the latest and newest gadgets. Nobody else cares. And if something like Blu-Ray is important to you, hold off on your purchase until it does come out.

Besides, experience tells me that you can over modify and upgrade devices. The more you mess with things the worst they become. The longest lasting items are those you never touch. So I am happy with they way Apple is currently doing things. I am on a five year replacement cycle and have had no case where I was unhappy that I couldn't jump to the latest gizmo that came along.
  • Reply 391 of 423
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Besides, experience tells me that you can over modify and upgrade devices. The more you mess with things the worst they become. The longest lasting items are those you never touch.

Replacing drives hardly qualifies for this example in the least bit.
  • Reply 392 of 423
    Quote:

And your point?

Maybe we do get what you are trying to say, and just don't care. Apple adding Blu-Ray means what? Squat. Its not a feature I care for nor will it cause me to go out and buy the latest and newest anything. As you grow up you'll realize that it the marketing weenies who are after your money that insist that you always have the latest and newest gadgets. Nobody else cares. And if something like Blu-Ray is important to you, hold off on your purchase until it does come out.

Besides, experience tells me that you can over modify and upgrade devices. The more you mess with things the worst they become. The longest lasting items are those you never touch. So I am happy with they way Apple is currently doing things. I am on a five year replacement cycle and have had no case where I was unhappy that I couldn't jump to the latest gizmo that came along.

My point is well made and self-evident. If you are on a five-year upgrade cycle, you are not a current Apple customer.

Regards,

DT
  • Reply 393 of 423
    Quote:

When Apple comes out with Blu-Ray, and you can't upgrade it on your $2,500 MacBook Pro, you'll understand the hyperbole (which is technically a euphemism).

If Apple gets ahold of a slim, slot-loading Blu-ray drive, then 3rs-party venders will likely have it to. If the drive is thicker than the current space or uses a different connector fr more bandwidth then it won't be possible. Do you think that Apple should have planned it's original MBPs with the ability to accept a device years before they were developed? I don't even see how that would possible.

I don't expect a notebook to have the same upgrade capabilities of a desktop or tower Apple uses a very customized motherboard compared to other OEMs. This has the benefit of making their notebooks smaller and lighter and more refined, This also has the disadvantage that it can't upgraded as easily as other OEM notebooks, Though Apple already uses Intel top-end processors, save for the Extreme classifications which are much more power hungry and only offer marginal performance gains.

If you want a machine that offers more off the shelf parts and that you can do hardcore upgrades to, then perhaps Mac notebooks aren't for you. The majority of notebook owners don't ever consider doing these upgrades. They just buy a new machine with all the new parts that come with it for about the same price as buying new al a cart components to run net to slower components.

I'm still sure why Apple has to plan years ahead so you can get a Blu-ray drive in old MB or PB. It's not like they'd be able to play Blu-ray movies anyway. They'd also be slow to burn any data and deplete the battery rapidly. This seems like something that should be an external, full-size option for the few that actually would need one. Plus, those who want to spend the money on a very expensive optical drive for data probably are not going to be running antiquated hardware.
  • Reply 394 of 423
    Quote:

My point is well made and self-evident. If you are on a five-year upgrade cycle, you are not a current Apple customer.

Perhaps I'm being too pedantic, but if he purchases Apple Software, Apple PMPs, Apple MIDs or content via Apple then he is a current Apple Customer.
  • Reply 395 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Finally.

Thank you, Jeff.

Regards,

DT
  • Reply 396 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Perhaps I'm being too pedantic, but if he purchases Apple Software, Apple PMPs, Apple MIDs or content via Apple then he is a current Apple Customer.

Excuse me if I'm off-topic, but isn't this thread about the new MacBooks?

Regards,

DT
  • Reply 397 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I beg to differ. The more you get into a device, for what ever reason, the worst it becomes. The longest lasting devices, with the least amount of trouble are those you stay out of. While I agree that just upgrading a hard drive once or twice will not normally cause you trouble, but if you are continually replacing the drive the reliability of your computer will go downhill.
  • Reply 398 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If Apple gets ahold of a slim, slot-loading Blu-ray drive, then 3rs-party venders will likely have it to. If the drive is thicker than the current space or uses a different connector fr more bandwidth then it won't be possible. Do you think that Apple should have planned it's original MBPs with the ability to accept a device years before they were developed? I don't even see how that would possible.

I don't expect a notebook to have the same upgrade capabilities of a desktop or tower Apple uses a very customized motherboard compared to other OEMs. This has the benefit of making their notebooks smaller and lighter and more refined, This also has the disadvantage that it can't upgraded as easily as other OEM notebooks, Though Apple already uses Intel top-end processors, save for the Extreme classifications which are much more power hungry and only offer marginal performance gains.

If you want a machine that offers more off the shelf parts and that you can do hardcore upgrades to, then perhaps Mac notebooks aren't for you. The majority of notebook owners don't ever consider doing these upgrades. They just buy a new machine with all the new parts that come with it for about the same price as buying new al a cart components to run net to slower components.

I'm still sure why Apple has to plan years ahead so you can get a Blu-ray drive in old MB or PB. It's not like they'd be able to play Blu-ray movies anyway. They'd also be slow to burn any data and deplete the battery rapidly. This seems like something that should be an external, full-size option for the few that actually would need one. Plus, those who want to spend the money on a very expensive optical drive for data probably are not going to be running antiquated hardware.

Apple is on the Blu-Ray Board and has been since the beginning, before there were MaBook Pro's.

If you believe what you have written, you are truly misinformed.

DT
  • Reply 399 of 423
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I beg to differ. The more you get into a device, for what ever reason, the worst it becomes. The longest lasting devices, with the least amount of trouble are those you stay out of. While I agree that just upgrading a hard drive once or twice will not normally cause you trouble, but if you are continually replacing the drive the reliability of your computer will go downhill.

Of course I meant within reason, arguing from the point of assuming absurdity doesn't make a good argument.

I don't know anybody that is "continually replacing the drive", exactly who is expecting that? I've even kept a couple machines operational and in regular use for eight and nine years, despite having added or replaced drives on occasion, because drives do die or fill up. I certainly haven't damaged or made any computer less reliable in doing so.
  • Reply 400 of 423
    Quote:

Regards,

DT

Oh, not everybody replaces their computers every year or so. I suspect that most of Apples customers are on a three year or more replacement cycle. With many being on a six year or greater cycle. And we are all Apple customers.

Actually I have two computers, an iMac for my desk and a PowerBook for everyplace else. And I alternate my purchases between them. What I found is that for the first two years I am very happy with my stock computers. During the third year I may notice that some of my newer apps are becoming memory hogs and I max out my RAM and maybe change out the hard drive. (Though the last time I did that was back in my G3 PowerBook days.) Finally after four years I start to notice the system slowing down and start looking fro a replacement. Never have I been presented with a feature (like Blu-Ray) that I felt that I needed that wasn't provided externally by Apple or a third party.