So how many more of you would buy MacBook Air's

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
...if they simply put a 5400 RPM Hard Drive in the darn thing? Am I the only one that refuses to buy an Air not because of the missing optical or 1 USB port...but rather the 4200 RPM HD??? Thats the only thing killing that unit for me, as Im sure many others.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 82
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Already bought the current configuration and love it. Still have a MBP, but it spends its days as a paper weight.

The MBA is a fantastic machine for what it was designed as; I certainly have gotten lots of good and important work done with mine over the past two weeks.

No complaints from this power user.
  • Reply 2 of 82
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Air's what?
  • Reply 3 of 82
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoreyMac View Post

...if they simply put a 5400 RPM Hard Drive in the darn thing?

That's just it, it's not simple. They're not using standard 2.5" drives, they're using 1.8" drives like the ones in the iPods. IIRC, those don't go to 5400RPM, at least not without great cost.
  • Reply 4 of 82
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I've been a big detractor of AIR and believe that in its current form is unacceptable to me. It would not take much on Apples part though to change my mind. Get analog IN to go with the OUT and Firewire and the machine becomes more attractive. Add one USB port and we are much farther ahead, even though Firewire would greatly reduce the need for a second USB port.

Well all of the above and adjust the price a bit.

To be honest though the new MacBooks are very attractive indeed.

Dave
  • Reply 5 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

That's just it, it's not simple. They're not using standard 2.5" drives, they're using 1.8" drives like the ones in the iPods. IIRC, those don't go to 5400RPM, at least not without great cost.

I think it may be just in time for the summer refresh though.....

http://www.electronista.com/articles...00rpm.18.inch/
  • Reply 6 of 82
    welcombwelcomb Posts: 39member
    actually APPL is catering it towards the upscale business class that has the expense accounts for 1st class airfare and 3000 dollar lappies

cause it had an ad in the Economist (inside the front cover)

And those people dont care for the best specs
  • Reply 7 of 82
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    Just bought the SSD MBA & love it - was using a 17" MBP prior to that but decided to swap to MBA & iMac.

Can't believe how much I like the MBA - screen is great & not really missing the real estate as much as I thought I would. Had a 12" PB in the past & the small screen in that irritated me!

The 17" MBP seems really big, clunky & old fashioned when I use it now!
  • Reply 8 of 82
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoreyMac View Post

I think it may be just in time for the summer refresh though.....

http://www.electronista.com/articles...00rpm.18.inch/

Nope. The MacBook Air requires a 5 mm tall drive. Toshiba's are 8 mm.
  • Reply 9 of 82
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drnat View Post

Just bought the SSD MBA & love it - was using a 17" MBP prior to that but decided to swap to MBA & iMac.

Can't believe how much I like the MBA - screen is great & not really missing the real estate as much as I thought I would. Had a 12" PB in the past & the small screen in that irritated me!

The 17" MBP seems really big, clunky & old fashioned when I use it now!

Are you using your MBA as a primary computer. If so, what is it like. Please share your experience.

If rumour on here is to be believed, Apple will update the Air in June with a new 45Nm Penryn processor on a Centrino 2 (Montevina) board. It will also get a 128 Gb SSD.

Simply a 128 Gb SSD would be enough to make me buy one already. That said a second USB port would be fantastic.

Anyway, goota love the MacBook Air. it's revolutionary.
  • Reply 10 of 82
    My Air is basically a primary computer when I am away from home... which is a lot. It is fantastic.

Yeah, my 15" MBP looks huge compared to the MBA.
  • Reply 11 of 82
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I still don't get how anyone can think it's worth that amount of money?
  • Reply 12 of 82
    name101name101 Posts: 79member
    Quote:

Its funny you say that.. 3 years ago thinking of buying a laptop was just stupid and expensive now it is "good value"

the differnce between then and now is that I make a little bit more money and as my dad says "You live too how much money you make."

this is exactly what it is these people are living to how much money they make they can afford to buy a MPA no problems.

I consider it a waste of money for me because I do gaming and some Audio/Video Work. and its really expensive.

~Regards

Name101
  • Reply 13 of 82
    bobertoqbobertoq Posts: 172member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

have you looked at the price of other thin laptops? compared to the others it's really not that bad
  • Reply 14 of 82
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

My Air is basically a primary computer when I am away from home... which is a lot. It is fantastic.

Yeah, my 15" MBP looks huge compared to the MBA.

If I was living on airplanes again I'd get one...
  • Reply 15 of 82
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

Are you using your MBA as a primary computer. If so, what is it like. Please share your experience.

Did you read what you quoted?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drnat View Post

• Reply 16 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

You obviously don't have the same job and needs as I do.

For people who make money while traveling around value is sometimes dependent upon ease of use, not necessarily raw power. If the MBA is just a little easier to carry and whip out and use, then it makes my life easier and more productive, which leads to more money (thus my ability to afford the MBA), more free time and less stress. How much are the latter two worth?

Traveling with the MBA is much easier than even with a MB not only because of the compact size and lower weight of the MBA itself, but also because of the smaller size and lower weight of the power brick, which makes a big difference over several days of hotel hopping.

The MBA is absolutely amazing once you use it; simply gawking at it in the Apple Store doesn't let one appreciate the feeling of sitting back in an easy chair in a nice hotel, leaning forward to pick the MBA up off the table with one hand and very little effort (a MB takes two hands to toss around), then relaxing with the MBA on your lap and settling into a work hour (I'm a writer of sorts). You simply forget that the MBA is there and get engrossed in your work. I have used the 12" PB, a MBP and a MB and can say that the MBA has the best user experience of them all, hands down.
  • Reply 17 of 82
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I'll buy a macbook air once I get it for between 1300-1500 canadian.
  • Reply 18 of 82
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 19 of 82
    Sebastian, long time no see (well, in the threads I have spent my time in lately).

The F5 and F6 buttons have a little image that looks like a light on them because they are for the backlighting of the keyboard: you can adjust the brightness up and down (or off). It is really helpful to have in low-light conditions.

I love the keyboard. I don't type on the MB so often (it's my wife's) but the MBA has a much nicer keyboard than the older MBP.

Haven't paid too much attention to times, but I also have never felt the battery life to be short. I usually have three hours between charge opportunities and have never run to zero, even while doing some photo work and downloading over wi-fi. The estimated time meter often shows 4 hours or more even after I have been using it for an hour. Right now it shows 6 hours and 20 minutes, then changes to 4:54 when I start typing and it has a 79% charge (fully charged it yesterday morning, typed for an hour and a half in the afternoon, surfed for a little bit (about half an hour), then slept the machine until today).

Have never gotten a low battery warning, but then I am not using the MBA to edit video or such.
  • Reply 20 of 82
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.