"iTouch"

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
do we leave the "i" on the front of any of the other ipods? i'm just wondering why people would refer to the ipod touch as the "itouch" if we don't call it the "inano", "ishuffle" or "iclassic."

seems the only natural thing to do would be to call it a touch. it makes perfect sense in context (like these forums, for instance).

(don't worry, i'm not losing any sleep over it. just wondering what the rationale is.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    I agree 100%. Although, this has been argued to death on these forums.

Unfortunately, it's just going to have to be one of those "agree to dissagree" things.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    dmberdmber Posts: 204member
    i guess i haven't seen the arguments.

i can't think of one reason to add the "i" to the beginning of only one ipod. it's one of those 2+2=5 things in my book.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmber View Post

do we leave the "i" on the front of any of the other ipods? i'm just wondering why people would refer to the ipod touch as the "itouch" if we don't call it the "inano", "ishuffle" or "iclassic."

seems the only natural thing to do would be to call it a touch. it makes perfect sense in context (like these forums, for instance).

(don't worry, i'm not losing any sleep over it. just wondering what the rationale is.)

After all, Apple doesn't call it an iTouch, its the iPod Touch.

I think the reason some people use iTouch or call it the iPod Touch is because the word "touch" has such a common (non-Apple) meaning. So iTouch or iPod Touch makes it clear exact what they are referring to. Its no different than the reason I refer to (gasp!) "MS Access" or the "Nintendo Wii" in casual conversation.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    dmberdmber Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

After all, Apple doesn't call it an iTouch, its the iPod Touch.

I think the reason some people use iTouch or call it the iPod Touch is because the word "touch" has such a common (non-Apple) meaning. So iTouch or iPod Touch makes it clear exact what they are referring to. Its no different than the reason I refer to (gasp!) "MS Access" or the "Nintendo Wii" in casual conversation.

ya...that would be understandable. that's why i said what i did about context.

on these forums there is no reason to specify what kind of touch you're referring to. if you're talking about a nano and a touch, there is nothing for which "touch" could be confused. if you're on the nintendo forums, would you refer to it as the nintendo wii or the wii? if you're on the ms support forums, would you say you have a problem with Access or MS Access (notice the capitalization)?

basically, i don't want to dumb it down, because specifying in a situation that already has specificity is just that: dumbing down.

but, i am an english teacher...so there ya go. (yes, an english teacher that types in lowercase. i'm a walking contradiction.)
  • Reply 5 of 5
    iTouch sounds so much better! but i get why they didn't. You gotta keep everything the same