T-Mobile (Apple?) banning Ovi capable Nokia phones from its portfolio.

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
http://www.teltarif.de/arch/2008/kw09/s29087.html

Sorry but it is in German and I did not feel like doing a serious translation.

Basically T-Mobile is dropping all phones Ovi capable from its portfolio.

Another smart iPhone related move. (said with sarcasm)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    Dude, you're like 7 months behind the times. This isn't really due to Apple's magical capability to control gigantic telecom companies; I'm being facetious here. This is about Nokia trying to carve out a revenue stream out of Internet downloads for themselves (music, ringtones, etc). The current arrangements have the carriers taking a big chunk of the download money since it is fed through the carrier's network. With Ovi, Nokia makes the carriers a dumb data pipe or can sidestep them entirely through WiFi.

This decision by T-Mobile is merely just business between them and Nokia. Nokia is taking away a revenue stream from them. Well, they don't have to sell or support Ovi capable phones. This is going to be touch and go for all of the carriers and Nokia, not just T-Mobile.

With Samsung also wanting to be in the Internet retailer business, it's going to be interesting times for the carriers and the cell phone manufacturers.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

Dude, you're like 7 months behind the times. This isn't really due to Apple's magical capability to control gigantic telecom companies; I'm being facetious here. This is about Nokia trying to carve out a revenue stream out of Internet downloads for themselves (music, ringtones, etc). The current arrangements have the carriers taking a big chunk of the download money since it is fed through the carrier's network. With Ovi, Nokia makes the carriers a dumb data pipe or can sidestep them entirely through WiFi.

This decision by T-Mobile is merely just business between them and Nokia. Nokia is taking away a revenue stream from them. Well, they don't have to sell or support Ovi capable phones. This is going to be touch and go for all of the carriers and Nokia, not just T-Mobile.

With Samsung also wanting to be in the Internet retailer business, it's going to be interesting times for the carriers and the cell phone manufacturers.

Dude, you are right on the mark here. I am more interested in the technical side to see if Nokia can pull off the eco-system that they will need. Ovi will have to be an instant hit to make people stat to think about going elsewhere. People are just waking up to Amazon and the fact that they can get higher bit rate songs without DRM.

Me thinks too that this will be interesting times.

P.S. Nokia has the incentive to make this happen fast as they too can then start asking for a cut of the media pie as they have more phones out there than Apple, and more "open" design, etc..... Can't wait to see how things work out.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    This is old news. I remember Orange UK were hesitant to launch the N81 8GB due to Ovi interfering with their own music centre.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

This is old news. I remember Orange UK were hesitant to launch the N81 8GB due to Ovi interfering with their own music centre.

Ah, so the soup is starting to boil? Don't know what that means but it sounded cool in my head.

Times should be interesting in the next few months. How do you think this will help out us poor schmo's down in the trenches?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Well the only alternatives are to either buy these phones sim free or buy them from 3rd party outlets. The Networks should have known better than to set up their own music stores. I guess thats one of the great things about iphone adn O2. No nonsense network branding just 100% iphone the way its meant to be.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Well the only alternatives are to either buy these phones sim free or buy them from 3rd party outlets. The Networks should have known better than to set up their own music stores. I guess thats one of the great things about iphone adn O2. No nonsense network branding just 100% iphone the way its meant to be.

Do you mean the phone makers should have known better?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    No I mean the networks themselves. Tmob, Orange ect...