Leopard forgetting default applications

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey there,

I'm having a weird issue with Leopard (well, a few, but one at a time).

It won't remember default applications after a reboot. Everytime I start Adium for the first time after a reboot it tells me that Adium is not the default IM program, and do I want it to be. Same with Firefox, everytime I start it after a reboot it's not the default browser and do I want it to be. I say yes, and both of those are fine until the next time I reboot.

Any idea?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Have you gone into iChat and Safari General Preferences and changed the default applications there? Maybe Adium and Firefox are not updating the right file.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Have you gone into iChat and Safari General Preferences and changed the default applications there? Maybe Adium and Firefox are not updating the right file.

I have not - I had in fact never ran iChat OR Safari on this install - but I just ran them for the preferences and the correct applications are listed as the default.

I should probably reboot and check...
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:

Ok, I rebooted, and ran Safari and iChat. They had themselves as the default, so I changed them to Firefox and Adium.

Then I rebooted and they had reverted back to themselves as the default.

???
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jethro1138 View Post

Ok, I rebooted, and ran Safari and iChat. They had themselves as the default, so I changed them to Firefox and Adium.

Then I rebooted and they had reverted back to themselves as the default.

???

Em.. Wonder if the plists are getting updated and saved properly? You are getting beyond me but it sounds like iChat and Safari are recreating their preferences at each reboot. Sorry I can't help you more.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:

Em.. Wonder if the plists are getting updated and saved properly? You are getting beyond me but it sounds like iChat and Safari are recreating their preferences at each reboot. Sorry I can't help you more.

I don't know where those are, so I can't really check... I did do a repair drive permissions thing though and it really didn't find anything relevant...
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

I don't know where those are, so I can't really check... I did do a repair drive permissions thing though and it really didn't find anything relevant...

The relevant files are:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iChat.plist

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

You might check to see if these are being updated.

(~ = Home directory)
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

The relevant files are:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iChat.plist

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

You might check to see if these are being updated.

(~ = Home directory)

They are indeed getting updated. I don't see anything in those indicating the default app, though...
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

They are indeed getting updated. I don't see anything in those indicating the default app, though...

You hit the end of my knowledge. This is where I would look for that information, but it looks like it is elsewhere. Sorry.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

You hit the end of my knowledge. This is where I would look for that information, but it looks like it is elsewhere. Sorry.

Thanks for your help though! I hope someone else can pick it up (:
  • Reply 10 of 14
    I'm having the same problem. My account is an administrator account and I've enabled filevault.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamespo View Post

I'm having the same problem. My account is an administrator account and I've enabled filevault.

Same problem here. As long as Filevault is enabled, setting default apps for certain tasks (e.g., default web browser) and setting the default apps to open files do not survive restarts in Leopard with FileVault. I have found tons of people complaining about this but no solutions. As far as I can tell it is simply a huge bug in Leopard that Apple has not bothered to fix because Filevault never gets a high priority. If anyone does find a solution, it would be fantastic.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordon1420 View Post

Same problem here. As long as Filevault is enabled, setting default apps for certain tasks (e.g., default web browser) and setting the default apps to open files do not survive restarts in Leopard with FileVault. I have found tons of people complaining about this but no solutions. As far as I can tell it is simply a huge bug in Leopard that Apple has not bothered to fix because Filevault never gets a high priority. If anyone does find a solution, it would be fantastic.

This being the case, I'd assume that disabling filevault, then setting the defaults and then reenabling them would be a way to get it working. A long, annoying, 6+ hour way of getting it working...
  • Reply 13 of 14
    OK, it is indeed an unfixed bug in FileVault with Leopard. Fortunately, there is a workaround. The following shell script needs to be run at every login:

Code:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

See This Topic for the full scoop. You can automate the running of the script by making an automator application that runs it and adding that to your login items.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    If you open Safari, Mail, iChat, etc. preferences and select the default programs, you can then Get Info for the corresponding plists (e.g., ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist) and lock them. Of course, this blocks changes in those preference files which you would need to temporarily unlock to make changes.