160gb or 250gb

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was about to buy the $1299 Macbook this weekend and upgrade it to 160gb the highest option I believe. Now it starts with 160gb and you can upgrade to 250gb for 100$. I do not know if I need this increase. I will use it for surfing, pictures, burning dvd's, and itunes, and I don't play any games. Is 160gb enough? To be honest I am not technically inclined and I don't really get what it means anyway, just want to have a good fast computer that works well when I am doing all this stuff simultaneously.

I would greatly appreciate any input.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Yeah 160 GB should be enough, mine is 110GB and I store over 3000 photos, a 40GB itunes and lots of videos. So 160GB should be plenty
  • Reply 2 of 9
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by limeade View Post

I was about to buy the $1299 Macbook this weekend and upgrade it to 160gb the highest option I believe. Now it starts with 160gb and you can upgrade to 250gb for 100$. I do not know if I need this increase. I will use it for surfing, pictures, burning dvd's, and itunes, and I don't play any games. Is 160gb enough? To be honest I am not technically inclined and I don't really get what it means anyway, just want to have a good fast computer that works well when I am doing all this stuff simultaneously.

I would greatly appreciate any input.

If it is going to be your main computer for the foreseeable future, upgrade. Otherwise, I never get the big hdd's in my notebooks. I have the 160 in my MB.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Another vote for 160GB. I'd much rather spend the extra $100 and get an external drive that you can use for backups, etc.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    you could always buy an even larger internal drive from owc or somewhere, like this one, up to 320gb for under $200. owc's full list of macbook-compatible hard drives is here.

of course, this means a little bit of work for you, in terms of installing osx yourself, but if you don't mind that, and want large amounts of internal storage, than it's your best (and cheapest) bet.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by milimetersquared View Post

you could always buy an even larger internal drive from owc or somewhere, like this one, up to 320gb for under $200. owc's full list of macbook-compatible hard drives is here.

of course, this means a little bit of work for you, in terms of installing osx yourself, but if you don't mind that, and want large amounts of internal storage, than it's your best (and cheapest) bet.

Did you catch the altitude limit of 10,000 feet? Don't airplane cabins pressurize over that? I thought that was a weird thing to list.

I wonder if the power requirement is lower than the drive that came with my MB? I would swap drives just to get better battery performance.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    ozzieboyozzieboy Posts: 22member
    For your stated needs, go with the 160. (And set your digital cam to take lower res pix unless you KNOW you're gonna be printing 8x10s with certain shots...that will also save you plenty of disk space over time.),

GBs are only getting cheaper from today forward. I saw a 250gb internal notebook drive on sale for $100 at OWC right now I believe. This same drive was at least $250-300 a year ago, if it even existed then. If you were to go with the 160, you could put in that 250 later and have a spare drive plus an even larger main drive for the same price as a single drive would cost you stock on the machine.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    limeadelimeade Posts: 3member
    Thank you everyone for the responses!! I went with the 160gb as that seemed to be the consensus and I still have another computer as a backup if I need to have mroe space.

Thanks again!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Did you catch the altitude limit of 10,000 feet? Don't airplane cabins pressurize over that? I thought that was a weird thing to list.

I wonder if the power requirement is lower than the drive that came with my MB? I would swap drives just to get better battery performance.

Airliners typically pressure to 8000 ft.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by missingbite View Post

Airliners typically pressure to 8000 ft.

You are correct.

Any idea on the power requirement of the HDD anyone?