Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So there have been a lot of updates in the past few weeks:

32gb Touch

16gb iPhone

New MB

New MBP

2gb Shuffle

and I have been thinking that that there may be a 16gb Nano my sister thinks that it would rather be "impressive" if they do come out with one and since video takes up a lot of room on the Nano I think there maybe one but it maybe a little fatter the 4 and 8gb Nanos

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    bobertoqbobertoq Posts: 172member
    Personally, I would love a thicker 16GB nano because i do not want a touch, the 80 GB classic is kind of big and I don't need that much space, and I think the current 4 and 8 gig nanos are too thin (for me)
  • Reply 2 of 10
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Apple's strategy is to establish the iPod touch / iPhone as a new mobile WiFi platform.

They made this very clear in their conference call after last quarter's financial results. Apple is even willing to take short term profit cuts to achieve this.

So they obviously have big plans for the iPod touch platform.

This IMHO has repercussions for a 16Gb nano. A 16GB nano would likely be almost the same price as an 8GB touch, which could eat into touch sales as people might rather go for more memory vs. a touch interface.

But that's not what Apple wants. They will do anything to steer people towards buying an iPod touch to better establish the platform.

My prediction:

Unless the 16GB touch drops to the same price as today's 8GB touch, there won't be a 16GB nano.

And if it happens, the 16GB nano will be the same price as today's 8GB nano.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    You can put a 16GB CompactFlash card in an iPod mini
  • Reply 4 of 10
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    First, a 16GB nano would compete with other products in that space -- other products from other manufacturers. Apple isn't "competing in a vacuum" in the PMP (MP3/MP4) marketplace.

A 16GB nano would fill a totally separate segment from a 16GB (or whatever) touch. The touch is versatile, obviously. But its not tiny, its not the thing made for a workout, you can't put the touch in a inside jacket pocket and navigate it "blind". I've borrowed a friends touch for a weekend, even sync'ed it with my playlists and videos, and as much as I want one it will never replace my 8GB 2nd gen alu. nano (or its eventual replacement) for running, walking, going to the mall or grocery store. The touch is awesome but it requires a set of eyeballs and there is a whole range of circumstances where I don't want to have to stop and take my eyes off something else just to fiddle with my iPod. Why wouldn't Apple want to sell me a 16GB or 32GB next generation nano?

Honestly, the whole concept of not cannibalizing other products in your line is IBM-think (its not even marketing, in fact its the antithesis). Apple's marketing team understands that too many options creates confusion so they keep the number of product lines and the number of options within the product lines managable and understandable. Case in point; do you remember when people said nobody would buy an 8GB nano for the same price as a 30GB iPod Video? The people who did (and Apple) understood that the price point wasn't the issue it was a reliability factor, that is being replayed today with the MBA. If any product is ripe for retirement it will be the iPod Classic as the prices of SSD go down while the capacities rise.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    I would say that there won't be a 16GB nano until the 8GB touch is dropped. They'll likely just do what they always do with the nano, double the capacities and keep the price the same. So, we'd see a $149 8GB nano and a $199 16GB nano. I imagine the 8GB touch would be either dropped to $199 as well, or dropped altogether, and the 16 and 32GB models move down to $299 and $399. It's possible a 64GB version would be added, either then or shortly thereafter, at $499.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    They'll do like they do every fall - update the entire line. They won't increase the Nano to 16GB until they can can offer the touch at capacities around 32GBand 64GB for the low and high-end, respectively.

They wouldn't make a 16GB nano while the touch is still coming in a 16GB offering, I think.

It would also just be out of character for Apple to update the Nano anytime soon. WWDC at the earliest, and more likely sometime around September-October.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mercury52 View Post

They wouldn't make a 16GB nano while the touch is still coming in a 16GB offering, I think.

Bullcrap. If the skinnier solidstate Zune (for one example) started to ship in volume with 16GB, I guarantee you'd see a 16GB nano. Apple is not going to cede marketshare just to "protect" an alternate product like the touch that has a different user base than the nano.

You may not see an "upgrade", but a "speedbump" or update to a larger capacity is never out of the question. E.g. The recent updates to the 16GB iPhone and 32GB Touch.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Anything's possible, that's true. We currently have 8GB Nanos, iPhones, and Touches all co-existing peacefully at various price points.

So sure, a 16GB nano could exist without updates to the Touch or iPhone lines.

The recent updates to the iPhone and Touch aren't consistent with "typical" iPod updates. Usual updates involve prices remaining the same, with capacities increasing, and sometimes a design change. With the recent iPhone and Touch, new capacities were added at new price points. Not so much a "change" as much as it's adding new models

I think it is much more likely for us to see a Fall update keeping Nanos at the same price but now in 8GB and 16GB flavors (instead of the 4 and 8 we have now), rather than introducing a new 16GB Nano at a new price in addition to the 4 and 8.

I'm not saying anything's impossible, but based on how Apple usually updates theses things (note the emphasis on "usually", nothing's written in stone) I don't think it's likely that we'll see any updates for the Nano or Classic until the "typical" upgrade time.

Now, if Steve proves me wrong and does something wacky at MWSF, I'm all for it. I just don't think the chances of it are all that high.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

You can put a 16GB CompactFlash card in an iPod mini

THAT IS WHAT I DID!!!! People under estimate the power of the iPod Mini. It is super strong, metal, and with the 16gb Compact Flash card installed, gets about 3 times as long of battery time due to no more moving parts. I put a 16gb CF card in mine and gave it to my 11 year old daughter, she loves it and it'll outlast all the other ipods we have. It'll withstand more jolting around than any other ipod around. The guy that discovered the Mini HD connector was the same as a CF Card, was a genius. The 16gb CF CArd cost me $39.99 at FRY's.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I recently just bought a new 8GB iPod Nano and a 16GB NAND flash chip. I've successfully installed the new 16GB chip and firmware on the iPod. When I go to the "About" section on my iPod, it tells me I have 15.3GB of space so I guess it's reading the memory correctly.

=========================================

Thomson

Our mission is to provide high quality end to end solutions to the BPO segment in a manner that will improve the operational efficiency while reducing the cost of the services to the client.

[email protected]