Apple screws recent buyers AGAIN!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Some of us tried to tell all the people who thought everything would be announced at MWSF that Feb and March were the usual dates for simple speed bumps.

But of course everyone had to make a MWSF list that included every single product Apple made.... as if SJ is going to waste stage time on a MacBook speed bump...
  • Reply 22 of 35
    bobertoqbobertoq Posts: 172member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robi0024 View Post

Mmk so then the people who buy before the 1month upgrade info complain that they get screwed. Also what would you like Apple to do with their current stock of what you would call "obsolete" computers? Don't buy something unless you want to. No one forces you to buy anything.

[/end lol now enjoy your macbook ]

haha yeah. they could plan out their whole entire year...
  • Reply 23 of 35
    Lesson to be learned:

Consult this site - http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ before buying a new Mac.

Also, don't be a whiner. All that happened was a little spec bump.

For me, my first Mac purchase was a 15" G4 Titanium Powerbook in late summer '03. Just a couple months later they came out with the Aluminum 15". Not only did it have the same price point and better specs, it had a whole new design, including a backlit keyboard, etc.

Yeah, I was bummed, etc. But, I got 4 years of great use out of that Titanium before I eventually sold it and moved to a MBP.

Technology will always get better and cheaper, and there's always a new model around the corner. Enjoy the computer you have, and don't be obsessed with having the latest and greatest. Be thankful that you can afford a $1k+ notebook, and then use the thing to actually make something or do something. Make a movie, make a website, etc.

Just because there's a new model out with a couple of better specs doesn't mean yours stops working. Get over it.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    ozzieboyozzieboy Posts: 22member
    This is not meant to belittle, but the OP is clearly pretty green at buying gadgets. No worries, friend. Be easy. You got a great machine at a value price. And yeah, for future reference, Apple updates laptops about 2x a year. And like the guy said above...give Apple a call, they will [more than] graciously make it right.

My first Mac (that I owned) was a Performa 405 in early '93. This was before the dawn of the internetz as we know it today, and being young and somewhat ignorant to the ways of tech, I didn't know about the impending new machines that came out a month or so later. Big deal. That Performa with 4mb of RAM, a 40mb hd and an antique processor with a hamster spinning the wheel at 16mhz made me literally tens of thousands of dollars (I'm a self-employed writer) before I finally upgraded to my first PowerBook four years later.

Don't look at what your computer takes from you. Look at what it gives you. (Just b/c your processor isn't the fastest doesn't make you less of a person or a sucker.) And just know there will always be something new around the corner. There will always be a prettier girl or boy, a better car, home, etc. Take it in stride, relax and learn to enjoy what you've got...or you're headed for a heart condition!
  • Reply 25 of 35
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Let him vent

Angry 1st posts are just people crying out for a little luv.

Yeah ..damn you Apple!!!

Now enjoy that Macbook chief. I wish I had one even if it was a slight generation behind.

I'm waiting for the new line of 8088-based MacIntels.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Why do people even whine about this crap?

If you want a product buy it. Get over it. You got what you wanted at a price you were willing to pay. It is childish to whine if Apple later finds a way to reduce the price and it is crazy to say they should not reduce prices when that is an act which benefits consumers.

If a product is not worth the price to you, don't buy it.

I got my first iPhone when they came out for $599. I wound up getting my $200 back ($100 from Apple, $100 from American Express) but I wasn't upset when the price dropped to $400 (even before I found out I could get a penny back). This is because the product was worth $599 to me.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    I don't know why we permit these threads. The guy has 1 post, and is never coming back.

Should I just trash this whole thread? I need to establish a "no butt-monkey threads" policy.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Some of us tried to tell all the people who thought everything would be announced at MWSF that Feb and March were the usual dates for simple speed bumps.

True for the MBP but no one expected an update of the MB until some days (or was it one day) before the update. Its previous refresh was just 3 months ago. But I was glad to see Apple not hesitating on this, even though I bought a new MB one month ago. It keeps the line fresh at a reasonable time frame with respect to the rest of the industry. Technology needs to move on and Apple did the right move. Otherwise we would have the other kind of threads, "all manufacturers have the new Intel chips, except Apple".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ozzieboy View Post

Don't look at what your computer takes from you. Look at what it gives you.

Some of the wisest words posted here ever.

Quote:

I don't know why we permit these threads. The guy has 1 post, and is never coming back.

Should I just trash this whole thread? I need to establish a "no butt-monkey threads" policy.

I think you are doing the right thing by letting such threads survive. This gives the others the opportunity to explain why such whining posts are pointless so that people reading us and having probably the mentality of "Apple screws recent buyers AGAIN!" have a chance to see more clearly in the correct perspective.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Quote:

Could you prevent newbies from posting a new topic until they've replied to a few threads or perhaps have one section for newbie questions?
  • Reply 30 of 35
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I think Apple should announce all updates a month before they happen, so they can be sure not to sell any of that model for a month.

Either that, or always give people who bought an earlier model a free upgrade , so they can avoid being profitable.

I agree with your, ahem, sarcasm, but there are times when it's profitable for a company to foretell an upcoming event. For example, when Apple let it be known that the iPhone was on its way. Some people refrained from buying competitors' phones during that time. I know that's not what you meant, so don't flame me.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Hehehehe. I always like to show off my $299 CD player that has play, pause, stop, back and next buttons and that's it. To be fair, CDs were a brand new phenomenon when I bought it, but still I think Phillips screwed me by releasing progressively better CD players in progressively smaller form factors for progressively lower prices.

Who do I sue?!?!?
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imacFP View Post

Could you prevent newbies from posting a new topic until they've replied to a few threads or perhaps have one section for newbie questions?

Yes, but that is double-edged. We can hold all new topics for review, but that is a huge burden on us - I don't think we could even keep up with it, and people would be getting annoyed that their topics weren't getting posted. Also, we would get deluged with complaints from those whose topics were not approved, and those people would submit dozens of new threads to "punish" us.

We can make new registrants wait 72 hours before they can post, but that really messes up people who want to post in order to get help with a problem. I would not want to change that, as the Genius Bar (and numerous threads we have to move there because people don't know about it) is a really good forum and the people who help there are really good.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    bicmedicbicmedic Posts: 10member
    They announced the update 2 days after my macbook was delivered, oh well. I don't think I would even notice the difference honestly. This seems to happen every time I buy a new piece of electronic gear. You get used to it.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bicmedic View Post

I don't think I would even notice the difference honestly.

Rest assured, you are not going to notice anything. Only specialized benchmarks will reveal differences and these will be really small.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Quit feeding the Trolls!