New MBP owner and never upgraded RAM before...need advice

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So I just converted from a PC user to ordering one of the new Penryn based MBP (15", 2.5GHz, 200GB 7200 HD, 2GB RAM). I've seen everywhere not to buy RAM from Apple and do it somewhere else. I'd like to upgrade to 4GB, but:

a) where should i go?

b) which type exactly do i need (and which to avoid)?

c) is it easy to install myself or do i need to take it to a tech? if i can do it myself, any links to a tutorial would be helpful.

I've never upgraded RAM before, but will be using this for recording apps and need as much as possible available to me. Your advice is much appreciated!

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ringemaster View Post

So I just converted from a PC user to ordering one of the new Penryn based MBP (15", 2.5GHz, 200GB 7200 HD, 2GB RAM). I've seen everywhere not to buy RAM from Apple and do it somewhere else. I'd like to upgrade to 4GB, but:

a) where should i go?

c) is it easy to install myself or do i need to take it to a tech? if i can do it myself, any links to a tutorial would be helpful.

I've never upgraded RAM before, but will be using this for recording apps and need as much as possible available to me. Your advice is much appreciated!

Thanks.

Well, I have the previous generation MBP. I doubt there is much difference. It was very easy to put in the new memory. No need for a tech. Generally people around here some to like OWC. I have used them a few times with no problems.

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Di...mory&Template=
  • Reply 2 of 8
    whmwhm Posts: 50member
    Quote:

a) where should i go?

Thanks.

I just purchased the 2.6 GHz 200 GB 7200 HD and updated mine to 4 GB RAM . Usually I buy ram from Newegg.com.... Crucial.com or macsales.com. Last week Crucial was out of the 4GB package and macsales.com( OWC) had them in stock for $95.00. As far as installation goes... go to Apple.com and click on support and you can view the instruction on line, just check on which laptop you have and all manuels are viewable on line. It's is really simple. Get you RAM on order and private message me and I will walk you thru it over the phone if you are not sure.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    I went to Crucial and as long as you know which MBP you have (check System Profiler) it's very easy to find which memory you need.

Also, as ringemaster said, it is very easy to upgrade your RAM yourself. Just make sure you have the required Phillips size 00 screwdriver. Apple's instructions are here or iFixit has photos of the installation here.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    Hard to beat OWC (macsales.com)

I pretty much can't believe how cheap it is compared to what I paid just months ago!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    The type you want is DDR2-667 SODIMM (200-pin). The brand doesn't really matter, although I usually buy either Crucial or Kingston from Newegg.com.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Wow! Thanks for the help guys! I'll put in the order tomorrow and it should be here by the time my new MBP shows up. I'm soooo pumped about the switch from PC. My wife (just got married 3 months ago) has a Mac and I've just now started to see how great they are now that I can use it everyday.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    saschkesaschke Posts: 67member
    Quote:

Wow! Thanks for the help guys! I'll put in the order tomorrow and it should be here by the time my new MBP shows up. I'm soooo pumped about the switch from PC. My wife (just got married 3 months ago) has a Mac and I've just now started to see how great they are now that I can use it everyday.

aaawwwhh

marriage and a mac -nothing better in life

congratulations! installing ram will be a breeze by the way....
  • Reply 8 of 8
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Just make absolutely sure that you have a proper screwdriver. Do not try to remove the screws with the wrong size screwdriver.