Safari or Firefox

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    Safari 3.1 is pretty stout.

The only thing I wish it had that Firefox does is search engine plugins.
  • Reply 42 of 67
    I prefer Safari AdBlock.

http://safariadblock.sourceforge.net

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

I haven't tried it myself, but a friend recommended it...

SafariBlock

I prefer the way FF handles tabs. I like the look, double click to open a new tab, middle click to close tab, undo close tab (big one), and also it has a lot more add-ons and extensions.

• Reply 43 of 67
    I like the ability to have more control over tabs and the many many plugins that FF has. Google browser sync is a nice one because it will allow me to sync FF to ANY machine I have even the windows machines that I still need to use. There is also customize google that is a must have for anyone that does a lot of google searching.
  • Reply 44 of 67
    Safari is the winner hands down. I never realized how much the browser can affect surfing speeds. 3.0 loads my gReader twice as fast as Firefox. 3.1 is even more ridiculous. Using Firefox now is like going to a wax museum.
  • Reply 45 of 67
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    For me it's Camino - find the one you like and use it - I did. Yes, I have the others, Safari, FF, Navigator, among others, and continue to try new or updated browsers. So far I always return to Camino. It does everything I need it to do and personally I'm not into the extension, plug-in, themes, skins nonsense if you are, Camino may not do it for you. Point is, like others have mentioned, keep trying them until you find the one that does what you need to do the way you like to do it .
  • Reply 46 of 67
    dmberdmber Posts: 204member
    i can't stand Safari. i've tried. there are just too many extensions i use every browsing session in firefox to move away from it. safari is missing too much.

Better Gmail

Better GReader

Better Youtube

DownThemAll

Remember the Milk for Gmail

Super Drag and Go

Tab Mix Plus

The minute bump in speed from Safari is not worth the usability improvements in Firefox
  • Reply 47 of 67
    I have tried Camino and while I do like it, I have gotten hooked on the ability to sync my bookmarks and settings across all of my machines. I have three Macs and two PCs that I use and having the same set of bookmarks on them automatically is simply priceless.

If Camino were to offer that or if Google Browser Sync were to work with Camino then I could consider switching.
  • Reply 48 of 67
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    I think with the upcoming Firefox 3.0b4 and Safari 3.1, the speed differences are pretty minimal and very fast. I keep trying to change to Firefox for browser sync, but end up coming back to Safari.
  • Reply 49 of 67
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    does firefox work on the iphone??
  • Reply 50 of 67
    If I could get Safari to sync with .Mac on my windows machines I might just use it more, but being multi platform dependent requires that something work fully on both for me.
  • Reply 51 of 67
    wally007wally007 Posts: 121member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post

If I could get Safari to sync with .Mac on my windows machines I might just use it more, but being multi platform dependent requires that something work fully on both for me.

I love just about everything about Firefox except its scrolling speed/smoothness. I hate Safari's interface but scrolling on MacBook Pro's trackpad with two fingers is just so much smoother than FireFox. For example load up engadget and scroll up and down in FireFox and in Safari on MacBook Pro or MacBook and you'll see huge difference in scrolling.
  • Reply 52 of 67
    dmberdmber Posts: 204member
    i just did that and didn't notice any difference.
  • Reply 53 of 67
    wally007wally007 Posts: 121member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmber View Post

i just did that and didn't notice any difference.

you scrolled up and down using Macbook pro's trackpad and didnt see any difference between browsers ?
  • Reply 54 of 67
    shaggyshaggy Posts: 42member
    Me neither
  • Reply 55 of 67
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Safari. Firefox feels like running a Windows app on OSX. icky widgets, icky windows behaviour, no applescript, crap OSX integration. Does Firefox do expandable textareas yet? OSX native spelling?

Camino fixes a load of that but then you miss Safari's superior tabs and speed.
  • Reply 56 of 67
    I'm on safari right now but as usuing firefox a lot more time i've come to realize that firefox is mroe compatible with websites and has a lot more plug ins
  • Reply 57 of 67
    m1911a1m1911a1 Posts: 24member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TravisReynolds View Post

I'm on safari right now but as usuing firefox a lot more time i've come to realize that firefox is mroe compatible with websites and has a lot more plug ins

Unfortunately you are not using all of Safari's capabilities...
  • Reply 58 of 67
    maniamania Posts: 104member
    I am using Firefox 3.0b5 and its WAY fast and looks pretty mac like. Once you start using Adblock for Firefox you just hate to use other browsers or computers with no adblock. Safari is fine but my understanding is that its ad blocking is a hack and could break at any time - unlike the FF extensions.
  • Reply 59 of 67
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    I use Safari 3.1 and Camino 1.6pre3 for a while. I keep switching one another tho.
  • Reply 60 of 67
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    safari doesn't work as well with gmail

firefox does

so until they fix safari i switch to firefox for gmail