Laser Displays vs. SEDs, OLEDs, LEDs, LCDs, Plasma, etc.

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I am convinced Plasmas are definitely the TV to "want". They are the best. LCD's are cheaper but can't compete for what a television is designed for.

Warning: buying a cheap, no name plasma is "never" a good idea.
  • Reply 42 of 57
    I would love a 32" OLED TV. I'll be buying my first flat HD TV during early 09 and I'm hoping for next-gen Bravia's by then!
  • Reply 43 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by looksthatkill View Post

I would love a 32" OLED TV. I'll be buying my first flat HD TV during early 09 and I'm hoping for next-gen Bravia's by then!

My TV is 26", but I think 32" is still to small. 42" is the sweet-size-spot if you ask me.
  • Reply 44 of 57
    malusmalus Posts: 28member
    TVs are a waste of money.
  • Reply 45 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malus View Post

TVs are a waste of money.

Ooohh kay...
  • Reply 46 of 57
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @homenow View Post

The price of DLP is dropping pretty fast and the advancements and technology offer a pretty good picture in comparison. I don't know what if anything will win out, but DLP offers a pretty good lower end choice given the current technology as long as they continue to offer the 42-46" range.

till you buy a replacement tube....i've replaced 3 in 6 months....glad i bought the extended warranty now you can get an lcd for less than half of what i paid just 2 years ago.
  • Reply 47 of 57
    Laser TV Seems Back On Course

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...1-21498588.htm

Quote:

It's been nearly a year since TV makers first showed off early laser TVs, but tech-savvy couch potatoes will have to wait a little longer to watch one in their living rooms.

The long-awaited display technology won't be ready until early 2008 at the earliest, industry experts say. When Mitsubishi and Canon CAJ demonstrated laser TVs at January's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, both hinted that they'd have models ready for this holiday shopping season.

"Everyone was overly aggressive," said Greg Niven, marketing vice president of Sunnyvale, Calif.-based Novalux. The privately held company makes the core laser component used in the upcoming laser TVs. It's received more than $50 million in funding from Morgan Stanley (NYSE:MS) Venture Partners, Crescendo Ventures and others.

Niven says taking full advantage of laser technology required creating a whole new TV architecture, which proved a more complex undertaking than first assumed.

Also, laser component prices didn't fall quickly enough to make the new technology affordable to the masses, says Matt Brennensholtz, an analyst at Insight Media.

Laser TV sets will be a new entry into the fast-growing market for high-definition TV sets, which is led by LCD, followed by plasma sets. Lagging in third place are rear-projection TV sets -- essentially a projector tucked into a large box.

Laser TVs also use rear-projection technology, but they forgo the white-light mercury lamps of traditional projection units for a combination of red, blue, and green lasers. Besides needing less power and space, the precision of laser light allows for finer color mixing. The end result is a much-wider color gamut than even plasma screens can offer, for a brighter, more colorful picture.

According to Novalux, LCD and plasma can display about 40% of the color content the human eye can see; with laser technology, that jumps to 90%. Fewer components also means lower manufacturing costs, adds Niven.

Mitsubishi confirmed that it's planning a laser TV announcement at next month's CES, though it's not saying anything more for now, according to company spokesman Mark Scott.

Analysts are counting on the official unveiling.

"I think they will formally introduce their laser TV then," Brennensholtz said. He expects actual products to reach store shelves in three to six months.

Samsung is also expected to introduce a laser TV model at some point.

"In two or three years, I think every manufacturer of rear-projection TV sets will convert to lasers," Brennensholtz said.

Research firm iSuppli expects that about 5.4 million rear-projection sets will be sold this year, compared with 76 million LCD sets and 11 million plasma sets.

Large-screen rear-projection TV sets cost less than comparable LCD and plasma models. But rear-projection sets are bulkier, as much as 10 inches deeper; consumers have shown a preference for the slimmer screens.

Laser displays have been used for years in high-end projection systems such as flight simulators. But its use in consumer electronics has been constrained by cost and size.

Novalux says it has solved that problem with its technology, called Novalux extended-cavity surface emitting laser, or Necsel.

The lasers can be housed in a package about the size of a matchbox. The Necsel technology has also been demonstrated in cell phones and mini-projectors that project color images on a wall.

Niven said Novalux is transitioning to mass production in Thailand that should be in place by the first quarter.

Woot! Lookin forward to CES 2008!
  • Reply 48 of 57
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    All, if you haven't seen it yet...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=23268

http://www.i4u.com/article14083.html

http://www.uberreview.com/2008/02/65...mitsubishi.htm

...the LaserTV made its appearance at CES 2008 and is due out this year. Here is their official website and I'm hearing they are supposed to be significantly thinner once released later this year...

http://www.believingisseeing.tv/?gcl...FQKkHgodzGovqQ
  • Reply 49 of 57
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    best display out there on the moment.

Pioneer Elite Kuro.

Next revision this year will be even better.

I can't wait to buy one.
  • Reply 50 of 57
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

best display out there on the moment.

Pioneer Elite Kuro.

Next revision this year will be even better.

I can't wait to buy one.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/p...manufacturing/

I'll agree, the Pioneer displays are currently the best out there, but if this report is true i'd pick one up now before they just start shipping Panasonic panels.
  • Reply 51 of 57
    We'll Panasonic panels are top notch, so things could be a lot worse.
  • Reply 52 of 57
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kupan787 View Post

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/p...manufacturing/

I'll agree, the Pioneer displays are currently the best out there, but if this report is true i'd pick one up now before they just start shipping Panasonic panels.

I read it earlier at engadget. It looks scary but if you go to AVS, it seems nothing is set in stone. According to folks there the only thing Pioneer is going to do is to buy the glass from Panasonic but still producing new generations of Kuro plasma displays.

I am really looking forward to buy the 9th generation that is coming sometime this year. I just think they are the most gorgeous pictures you can get at this point. Plus they are planning to introduce the extreme contrast panels sometime in the next two years. Just amazing.

here is the link:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1003092
  • Reply 53 of 57
    Bad news then. Pioneer recently announced that they're "reviewing" their production of plasma displays. Just like Toshiba "reviewed their position on HD DVD before immediatly ceasing production.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kingston View Post

Bad news then. Pioneer recently announced that they're "reviewing" their production of plasma displays. Just like Toshiba "reviewed their position on HD DVD before immediatly ceasing production.

Don't think the obvious Pioneer doesn't make LCD's.
  • Reply 55 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kingston View Post

I read at some point earlier today that they ARE already out, don't ask me for a link, i haven't a clue where i read it.

pity, but there must not be money in making your own panels any more??
  • Reply 56 of 57
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    So why is Pioneer likely quitting the plasma race?

Plasma screens are not very environmentally friendly, they suck a lot of electricity.

And I guess the future is OLED anyway. Low power (i.e. 'green'). Perfect viewing angle. Huge contrast. Light and thin.

Samsung demoed their 31 inch OLED display at CeBit again. Shipping next year.

I'd guess that's why Pioneer quits.

5-10 years from now plasma technology is probably only found in super large (100+) inch displays.

The rest is going to be LCD (low price segment) and OLED (high price segment). The latter previously the plasma domain.
  • Reply 57 of 57
    My guess is that initially Pioneer made a bad marketing decision and decided to go after the high end plasma market. However, Panasonic and to a lesser extent Samsung were able to produce outstanding quality plasmas at much lower prices and at a price point that appealed to consumers looking to buy a 42" or 50" plasma, effectively drying up Pioneer's intended market.