Apple's Jobs probed over Newton reincarnation

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

I do think Amazon's Kindle concept has a future (if only they would hire Jonathan Ive).

Meh. As a voracious reader, I can tell you there is a big difference between being licensed to view a book and owning a book.

That said, I still want a MacTouch/TouchBook/whatever in the worst way. Just not for reading books on.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I read that Times article, and I did find it to be a strange response. He can't talk about "unannounced products"? That does sound as though this is an "unannounced product".

Kind of like asking someone when they stopped beating their wife!
  • Reply 22 of 58
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thrang View Post

More broadly - do you think if concerns about the US economy persist, companies like Apple will begin to shelve new product launches until such time that they can gain maximum leverage over their launch excitement?

It depends on how bad the economy gets. In many downturns, the wealthier demographic

is not much affected. Since Apple creates a lot of products for this niche, they would be

less affected than companies which produce bargain price range products. If things get

really bad, all companies will hunker down to some extent until the economy improves.

As someone else posted, Apple's large cash hoard would also be an advantage in a

weak economy.
  • Reply 23 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cherrypop View Post

With 18.5B in cash, why Apple doesn't test market products like this (read Newton form factor) is a bit of a mystery to me.

I want a Mac I can put in my pocket. The iPhone is close. Eee PC's 9-inch (even a 7-inch) is a size I would snap up if Apple would build one; very close to the size of the eMate, which I actually liked and used for a bit.

Maybe that Mac in one's pocket could be the evolution of the ipod touch?
  • Reply 24 of 58
    Oh, it's definitely coming. Why? Because Microsoft has failed at the Tablet PC, and yet everyone still wants a tablet PC. Apple is in love with touch computing, they're stepping into segments when other companies have failed to "get it right" (AppleTV and iPhone), and Jobs loves to beat Microsoft on hardware and interface design. Jobs picks projects because they're targets with a demand attached to them, and a better tablet PC has a giant bullseye on it. Why in the world would Apple prohibit keyboard attachments for the iPhone (banned in the SDK and Apple isn't making one) if they weren't thinking of a small form computing device like a new Newton?
  • Reply 25 of 58
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    The new Intel Silverthorne (aka, Centrino Atom) will make it possible. the full Mac OS X 10.5.2 on your pocket and on your palm.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

Oh, it's definitely coming. Why? Because Microsoft has failed at the Tablet PC, and yet everyone still wants a tablet PC. Apple is in love with touch computing, they're stepping into segments when other companies have failed to "get it right" (AppleTV and iPhone), and Jobs loves to beat Microsoft on hardware and interface design. Jobs picks projects because they're targets with a demand attached to them, and a better tablet PC has a giant bullseye on it. Why in the world would Apple prohibit keyboard attachments for the iPhone (banned in the SDK and Apple isn't making one) if they weren't thinking of a small form computing device like a new Newton?

Correct that to "I think everyone wants one".
  • Reply 27 of 58
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I'll repeat my wish that they create a 5.5"x8.5" touch-style computer. That would be an ideal format for me.
  • Reply 28 of 58
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thrang View Post

More broadly - do you think if concerns about the US economy persist, companies like Apple will begin to shelve new product launches until such time that they can gain maximum leverage over their launch excitement?

They have no choice but launch new products THIS YEAR! It is critical that they launch the 3G iphone in Q2 if they want to reach their 10million iphone sales goal for 2008. They are not letting "concerns" over the economy dictate to them what they have to do. They know exactly what they have to do. Dude, the SDK is this week man on the 6th. And its an understatement to say that it will be an important day for the company. Plus the rumors are getting stronger and stronger that the mactouch/newton2.0 will be later this year as well. In fact, its starting to look like its going to be a family of products in a new category called "netbooks" or "nettops".

They will not be "shelving" any products this year. It will be very unhealthy for them if they do.
  • Reply 29 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This article has gone from the realm of speculation to pure fiction. Asinine.

Shuddup. we all know your secretly crossing your fingers.
  • Reply 30 of 58
    Erm couldn't "I can?t talk about unannounced products," also mean "i'm not here to speculate on rumors". I mean if it's unannounced then it's simply vaporware right
  • Reply 31 of 58
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Erm couldn't "I can?t talk about unannounced products," also mean "i'm not here to speculate on rumors". I mean if it's unannounced then it's simply vaporware right

It's Fantasyware.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Remember you heard it here first.

A Apple that is not much bigger then the iTouch, UNTIL you UNFOLD the screen, once, twice, three or maybe four times.

As you unfold it, the image takes up whatever size size you have it opened to.

So you open the ipad and the screen is on the top half (and it's 3" x 5") Now you open that again and it's 6" x 5" and you then open it again (towards the center) and it's now 6" x 10" in size ?

You got to love this idea ? which I patented 4 months ago. This way when Apple comes out with, I'll be able to sue them for using my idea

Skip
  • Reply 33 of 58
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Even Helen Keller saw this one coming.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

When did Apple say they are prohibiting keyboard attachments..
  • Reply 35 of 58
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Even Helen Keller saw this one coming.

Ha ha, he said "Even Hellen Keller saw this coming..." which is REALLY funny because Hellen Keller is BLIND, and can't see anything at ALL!! Oh Goodness that was rich, absolutely riotous, I say....

</StewieVoice>
  • Reply 36 of 58
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whoami View Post

and everyone gave him so much shit for most likely accurate info...

i always thought he was just a little psychic or psychotic.. i forget which one!

Is he still working on the plastics? He started almost ten years ago!

Honestly, everyone was making predictions of tablets and newton replacements back then, mainly because the competition had them. Given enough time almost every prediction will come true in some way. Just before the iPod was introduced I predicted that it would have wireless built in and would allow one to browse and stream music from a computer. It never happened. It might this year or ten years from now though. It doesn't mean I had inside information.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's Fantasyware.

When Apple comes out with their entire FAMILY of mactouch products I'm going to quote what you said in a new signature right along Bill Gate's "Computers will never need more than 640K of RAM"!
  • Reply 38 of 58
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cherrypop View Post

I want a Mac I can put in my pocket. The iPhone is close. Eee PC's 9-inch (even a 7-inch) is a size I would snap up if Apple would build one..

Wow.. you have big pockets!
  • Reply 39 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Ah, but you see, the iPhone did turn out to be a product!

If he is going to respond to unannounced products as unannounced products, he is giving it away.

He should respond that he doesn't address speculation about Apple products.

Nonsense: that's not how this works.

He answered the way he did deliberately. This is how he builds the buzz...just as he did with the iPhone. It may be a year, maybe three, but it's all over but the speculating (and releasing, and bitching...).

Gentlebeings, start your engines!!!
  • Reply 40 of 58
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Jobs could say "there is a pig attaches to my foot and ladders on the hills" and everyone would be saying "I knew they were doing a tablet.. I knew it!".