New Imacs Tues?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Anyone think we'll see updated Imacs this Tues?

If not this Tues then when?

Been ready to buy, but holding out for the update.

Stageron

Comments

• Reply 1 of 124
    bobertoqbobertoq Posts: 172member
    i doubt it. i think they would be updated sometime in August.
  • Reply 2 of 124
    u have to be kidding. i'm sure a penryn update is around the corner. i'm not so confident about this tuesday, but hopefully by next tuesday the latest.
  • Reply 3 of 124
    I wouldn't get my hopes up

you tell me last time Apple has back to back updates?
  • Reply 4 of 124
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    No, Apple will update the iMacs soon. The last time they were updated was August 7th. With the impending phasing out of the current chips they use by Intel, Apple is almost forced to do this update.
  • Reply 5 of 124
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

No, Apple will update the iMacs soon. The last time they were updated was August 7th. With the impending phasing out of the current chips they use by Intel, Apple is almost forced to do this update.

Yes, and it will soon do it. With the Intel CPU roadmaps and info available, the processor updates have no secrets anymore. The big unknown now is the GPU, although the thermal restrictions of the iMac impose some limits.
  • Reply 6 of 124
    Yeah, I think a spec bump for the iMac is in order sometime this month. Will it be tomorrow? Maybe. Apple seems to be keen on keeping up with the "updates every Tuesday" this year.

Now that Penryn's been dropped into the notebooks, the iMac is the next choice. I don't think we'll see any crazy redesigns, but the same price points for new processors and better HDD options. Just a little boost. Maybe something bigger at WWDC.

It's been 209 days since the last iMac update, and the average time between updates is 205 days (according to this: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/) so I think a spec-bumped iMac this month is a totally reasonable guess.

That, and possibly an update to the Mac Mini sometime this month. Also 209 days since the last update, with an average of 188. Would be nice to see the Mini get significant attention at WWDC though. Slimmer design, etc.;
  • Reply 7 of 124
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    My iMac is 2 weeks old now so I'm guessing it's a certainty
  • Reply 8 of 124
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I think the ultimate question is whether or not Apple will also update the Mac mini while they're at it.
  • Reply 9 of 124
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bclapper View Post

That's the best indicator yet.
  • Reply 10 of 124
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    SUPER TUESDAY!

to be exact Super Tuesday IX - if something released tomorrow, iMac???
  • Reply 11 of 124
    Usually hear about shortages in the channels a week or two before updates.. My guess for new iMacs is Tuesday, April 1st.
  • Reply 12 of 124
    I don't think there will be any new iMac for another month. Currently Apple is offering students a free iPod Nano with a computer purchase here in NZ (pretty sure they are offering the same thing elsewhere). This offer ends, surprise surprise, mid April. I don't believe in coincidences.
  • Reply 13 of 124
    I'd say iMac updates soon is a dead certain. Mainly because the current processors used by the iMac are Merom (correct spelling?) something that Intel clearly wants to phase out. The way they are reorganising there supply structure means it will soon become cheaper to go for the new Penryn as opposed to the old Merom. That is reportedly one of the reasons the MacBook was updated so ahead of schedule.
  • Reply 14 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bclapper View Post

Hehe, same here.
  • Reply 15 of 124
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    ...Guess not. It's Tuesday, ain't it?
  • Reply 16 of 124
    Y'know. I'd like an iMac 30 incher with a 9600 GT in it.

I like the iMac. I may buy that while I'm waiting for Nehalem re: Mac Pro.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 17 of 124
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Lemon Bon Bon.

Is there a mobile 9600GT? Doesn't the iMac use Mobile parts? Either way the 9600GT isn't that great of a card, but it does sound typical of what Apple would use in an iMac. the 9800GT will be the successor of the 8800GT. The 9600 is like a new 8600.
  • Reply 18 of 124
    bobertoqbobertoq Posts: 172member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Lemon Bon Bon.

yeah, a 30" would be nice. i had a list of my dream imac somewhere, i think it was on macrumors. but this is all i remember.

30"

matte screen

LED screen

3.0 GHZ processor

MAYBE a quad core

newest intel chips

newest graphics card

and you can adjust the angle of the screen like the cinema displays, plus an excellent viewing angle B-)

but... i doubt anything like that will ever happen.
  • Reply 19 of 124
    ilfuriailfuria Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobertoq View Post

30"

matte screen

LED screen

3.0 GHZ processor

MAYBE a quad core

newest intel chips

newest graphics card

and you can adjust the angle of the screen like the cinema displays, plus an excellent viewing angle B-)

but... i doubt anything like that will ever happen.

+ a controller. I don't really want to buy a expensive high def 30" monitor with no option for video in.. but I believe I've said that before
  • Reply 20 of 124
    ...is actually a pretty good card. It's merely a die-shrunk 8800GT.

So, it will perform as good as the GT in yer Mac Pro.

In fact. The benches between the GT and the GT (heh.) are largely neglible.

Sure, maybe a 9800 GT may turn up after the 9800 GTX and x2 variants...

..but either way, the 9600 GT in the iMac would be a significant step up from where it is at the moment with the Radeon Pro thing.

...as in panned.

It runs pretty cool too! So, I wonder if it may fit the 24 inch enclosure no problems? Well, the old white plaster iMac took a 7600 GT, so why not a 9600 GT.

It's got pretty good reviews so far from Tom's hardware to...well. I haven't read a bad review of it yet.

Lemon Bon Bon.