Apple's Jobs probed over Newton reincarnation

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cherrypop View Post

With 18.5B in cash, why Apple doesn't test market products like this (read Newton form factor) is a bit of a mystery to me.

Apple is building a reputation for visionary products which people 'get' really easily, that just fit into the lifestyle.

If they put out lots of different products, they'd lose that reputation. Developers and consumers would wonder if this was a good or bad product, and whether Apple was going to drop support after a short trial. Bad stuff for Apple.

Make it work properly first time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thrang View Post

More broadly - do you think if concerns about the US economy persist, companies like Apple will begin to shelve new product launches until such time that they can gain maximum leverage over their launch excitement?

I don't think they'll shelve product launches - since technology moves so quickly. For products they're 50/50 on, perhaps the economy concerns will push them to decide against.

I'd like to see Apple take advantage of the downturn by targeting specific needs and providing them through a CHEAPER product that doesn't fit the PC paradigm but does what's needed. The iPhone is an example - my brother takes that on trips, instead of his MacBookPro. A larger iPod Touch could do similarly - imagine if Apple sold an iMac bundled with a Tablet and marketed it as "who needs a laptop" (if targeted at college students, a tablet for lectures and for the room perhaps inbuilt digital TV reception on a nice 24" iMac would be appealing, and could use the $80 rebate for digital TV tuners that you can get in the US??).

Oh... I don't know much about your $80 vouchers for set top boxes- could Apple build an AppleTV add-on that is eligible (presuming they have any interest at all in riding the advertising build up for switch to digital TV) and brings the add-on's cost to almost nothing? Products for $0 are really appealing to people, no matter the economy ;-)
  • Reply 42 of 58
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sausage&Onion View Post

I for one always assumed that the Newton pad we were hearing rumors about was in fact merely the macBook Air. Unless I am mistaken, the 13" screens seemed to be the only concrete piece of evidence we had about these rumored machines. Hopefully, Job's angry reaction was a telltale sign of something ca-ca-ca-cRAzy in the somewhat distant future, however I bet he would likely react in the same way if asked about holographic displays or Apple robots that nourish themselves entirely with banannas. (BTW, I have a rumor from a reliable source on that last one guys)

Personally, I think 13" would be too large. Given the thinness now achievable, I think a 13" screen/device would be too fragile, and frankly,too large.

I think something in a 8" (8"x4") would be plenty big and still 'purse-able'

I also think that focusing on a software keyboard for fast data input is wasting time.

Either voice input or docking to a lightweight keyboard (with memory and ports) are the logical options. I don't see where a display-based keyboard will ever be anything but a way to do quick, IM type input.
  • Reply 43 of 58
    visualzonevisualzone Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Wow.. you have big pockets!

Hate to say it but I will, "Is that a Mac in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" LOL
  • Reply 44 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I read that Times article, and I did find it to be a strange response. He can't talk about "unannounced products"? That does sound as though this is an "unannounced product".

He could have just denied the product possibility altogether.

No, that is the proper corporate response regarding any product, whether or not your company is ever intending to produce it. Even (or especially) denying provides unnecessary information to competitors.
  • Reply 45 of 58
    Quote:

With 18.5B in cash, why Apple doesn't test market products like this (read Newton form factor) is a bit of a mystery to me.

That's kinda what they did with the AppleTV. Look at the beating they've taken over that.

Apple doesn't have the luxury of MS style "3rd time's the charm" development. They're expected to hit it out of the park first time at bat, ala iPhone. Anything less is, sadly, deemed failure by the anti-Apple droolers.
  • Reply 46 of 58
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Erm couldn't "I can?t talk about unannounced products," also mean "i'm not here to speculate on rumors". I mean if it's unannounced then it's simply vaporware right

No, that's not what it necessarily means. There's a difference between "I don't respond to speculation", and "I can't talk about unannounced products".

speculation is just that. not wanting to talk about them is understandable.

Saying that he CAN"T talk about unannounced products sounds as though there is a product in the pipeline, and he isn't allowed to talk about it (yet).
  • Reply 47 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious View Post

Nonsense: that's not how this works.

He answered the way he did deliberately. This is how he builds the buzz...just as he did with the iPhone. It may be a year, maybe three, but it's all over but the speculating (and releasing, and bitching...).

Gentlebeings, start your engines!!!

Nonsense yourself. If he said this because he does have a product in the background, it agrees with what I said.

The times he's said this, he came out with products that were close to what he was asked about.
  • Reply 48 of 58
    macmikeymacmikey Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Remember you heard it here first.

A Apple that is not much bigger then the iTouch, UNTIL you UNFOLD the screen, once, twice, three or maybe four times.

As you unfold it, the image takes up whatever size size you have it opened to.

So you open the ipad and the screen is on the top half (and it's 3" x 5") Now you open that again and it's 6" x 5" and you then open it again (towards the center) and it's now 6" x 10" in size …

You got to love this idea … which I patented 4 months ago. This way when Apple comes out with, I'll be able to sue them for using my idea

Skip

Skip, I think this "iFold" of yours will at best become a poker joke or at worst the subject of a lawsuit from Lionel Richie.
  • Reply 49 of 58
    Quote:

No, that's not what it necessarily means. There's a difference between "I don't respond to speculation", and "I can't talk about unannounced products".

speculation is just that. not wanting to talk about them is understandable.

Saying that he CAN"T talk about unannounced products sounds as though there is a product in the pipeline, and he isn't allowed to talk about it (yet).

The phrase is akin to taking the 5th. An accepted incantation that may not be construed to have any other implications.

Its a a powerful and well-honed phrase used by all companies for very good reasons:

1) if you have no intentions of producing said product, you can still be encouraging your competition to waste energy and $$ on something you've deemed unimportant.

2) if you are intending to produce it, you're not letting any details out.
  • Reply 50 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

No, that is the proper corporate response regarding any product, whether or not your company is ever intending to produce it. Even (or especially) denying provides unnecessary information to competitors.

No, it's not. If you have no interest in having a product such as this any time soon, you don't have to describe it as an "unannounced product".

I've seen many responses to questions such as this by executives (including those at Apple) who used expressions such as:

We have no plans for a product such as this at this time.

Or:

We don't respond to speculation.

Or:

We work on many new ideas for products.

Etc.
  • Reply 51 of 58
    Quote:

The phrase is akin to taking the 5th. An accepted incantation that may not be construed to have any other implications.

Its a a powerful and well-honed phrase used by all companies for very good reasons:

1) if you have no intentions of producing said product, you can still be encouraging your competition to waste energy and $$ on something you've deemed unimportant.

2) if you are intending to produce it, you're not letting any details out.

I don't agree. It's much too specific a statement. It's also telling that the few times I've heard Jobs use it, Apple came out with a product in that category some time afterwards.
  • Reply 52 of 58
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Didn't Jobs flat out say they were not working on an Apple phone a few months before it was showcased at MW?
  • Reply 53 of 58
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    Quote:

I want a Mac I can put in my pocket. The iPhone is close. Eee PC's 9-inch (even a 7-inch) is a size I would snap up if Apple would build one; very close to the size of the eMate, which I actually liked and used for a bit.

...or is that a Mac in your pocket?"

seriously, our daily-wear, cargo-pocketed pants will do the trick for many of us.
  • Reply 54 of 58
    Quote:

I don't agree. It's much too specific a statement. It's also telling that the few times I've heard Jobs use it, Apple came out with a product in that category some time afterwards.

Regardless, it is the phrase used by every manufacturing or software company I've ever work with or for. Again, its a well-honed, legalistic phrase, not off the cuff.

When you hit the trade show floor for any company, PR specifically hands you this very phrase to repeat instinctively.

Personally, I think the tablet is a no-brainer.
  • Reply 55 of 58
    Quote:

Regardless, it is the phrase used by every manufacturing or software company I've ever work with or for. Again, its a well-honed, legalistic phrase, not off the cuff.

When you hit the trade show floor for any company, PR specifically hands you this very phrase to repeat instinctively.

Personally, I think the tablet is a no-brainer.

It's not a phrase I've often seen.
  • Reply 56 of 58
    ozzieboyozzieboy Posts: 22member
    Cargo pants are OUT [again], man!

Hate to burst hopes and bubbles, but this is all just blatant, pulled out of someone's arse, rampant media speculation. It is fun, though. The media makes up/reprints unsubstantiated crap and innuendo all the time just to grab eyeballs and wallets. <cough> WMDs, anyone? <cough>
  • Reply 57 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

Apple has stated that the technology for iPhone was originally intended for a tablet (it was in the original Time article); it's not a secret or a rumor. Jobs has also indicated (at "All Things D") that one of his best decisions was killing a PDA / new Newton project at Apple; it's not clear if the PDA and the multitouch tablet are the same thing though.

It wasn't his best decision it was the best product that he had to kill.
  • Reply 58 of 58
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Wow.. you have big pockets!

Or he owns a jacket ;-) I used an eeePC the other day and it fit in my jacket easily. Perfect for business trips, for which I need only e-mail and basic word processing functionality. Allows me to stop carrying a briefcase too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

Oh, it's definitely coming. Why? Because Microsoft has failed at the Tablet PC, and yet everyone still wants a tablet PC.

Sales figures - many years' worth of them - suggest otherwise.