Apple introduces Penryn-based MacBooks and MacBook Pros

Comments

• Reply 401 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Oh, not everybody replaces their computers every year or so. I suspect that most of Apples customers are on a three year or more replacement cycle. With many being on a six year or greater cycle. And we are all Apple customers.

Actually I have two computers, an iMac for my desk and a PowerBook for everyplace else. And I alternate my purchases between them. What I found is that for the first two years I am very happy with my stock computers. During the third year I may notice that some of my newer apps are becoming memory hogs and I max out my RAM and maybe change out the hard drive. (Though the last time I did that was back in my G3 PowerBook days.) Finally after four years I start to notice the system slowing down and start looking fro a replacement. Never have I been presented with a feature (like Blu-Ray) that I felt that I needed that wasn't provided externally by Apple or a third party.

I still don't think you understand what I am saying.

Apple just released a new line of MacBooks and MacBook Pro's. Nothing they released in the last two years are upgradeable, in any way...not even hard disk size, to these new models.

If you buy one of these new models, you will be left in the dust when Apple upgrades them again in June, probably to Blu-Ray.

Let me get this straight so you understand my beef:

Apple offers no upgrade paths to current users. Is that clear enough? Should I say it again?

Here's what I want, and I've said it before:

Walk into an Apple Store and say, please upgrade my hard drive to the largest available and upgrade my optical drive likewise. That is not an unreasonable request.

But it will never happen.

Does this not touch a nerve with anybody here?

If not, I will leave the forum and end this anguish for you Apple lovers (I'm one too, but I just don't get it).

DT
  • Reply 402 of 423
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Apple just released a new line of MacBooks and MacBook Pro's. Nothing they released in the last two years are upgradeable, in any way...not even hard disk size, to these new models.

If you buy one of these new models, you will be left in the dust when Apple upgrades them again in June, probably to Blu-Ray.

Apple offers no upgrade paths to current users. Is that clear enough? Should I say it again?

Walk into an Apple Store and say, please upgrade my hard drive to the largest available and upgrade my optical drive likewise. That is not an unreasonable request.

If not, I will leave the forum and end this anguish for you Apple lovers (I'm one too, but I just don't get it).

DT

I think we understand you very well. And apparently the only nerve being touched is yours.
  • Reply 403 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

I think we understand you very well. And apparently the only nerve being touched is yours.

Your response is fatuousness.

Think again.

DT
  • Reply 404 of 423
    ericvtericvt Posts: 2member
    Don't really care about having upgrade paths for my MBP, honestly. I leave it alone and it keeps working great for as long as I care to use it.
  • Reply 405 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EricVT View Post

Don't really care about having upgrade paths for my MBP, honestly. I leave it alone and it keeps working great for as long as I care to use it.

Very well said and point taken.

Then again, that's where we all are.

Unless we care (dare) to use e-bay. Apple certainly will not be a part of any upgrade.

DT
  • Reply 406 of 423
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:

How many different ways do I need to say that?

None!

MB Pro people are admittedly worse off that MB people. We can quite happily upgrade memory and HD etc due to the redesigned chassis.

So I would say to the Mac newbie... Personally if I could wait for the new design, I would. At least then there will be an upgrade path for him without voiding warranty.
  • Reply 407 of 423
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:

That's not completely true. The MacBooks have been memory and HD upgradeable right from the start. I should know, I have a first gen MacBook and have upgraded both memory and HD.

Quote:

Apple don't offer the paths themselves but pretty much every device they produce is upgradeable. The MacBook Pros are probably the least upgradeable of their computer hardware.

Quote:

Yes, I would also like to be able to go to Apple for this. Mind you, I'd only be paying over the odds for something I can do at home. However I know that the old MacBooks can be upgraded to .11n - it's a tricky job and I'd rather pay Apple to do it, but when the time comes and I'm out of AppleCare warranty I'll just ask a friend to do it instead.

Quote:

I hope you do find it, I too do not believe in blind loyalty to Apple nor any other manufacturer. But simply entering a forum angry, rubbing kind, helpful people up the wrong way using such words as "fatuousness" and "sophomoric" in the hope you may relieve some frustration will inevitably make you leave here even more frustrated.
  • Reply 408 of 423
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

When Apple comes out with Blu-Ray, and you can't upgrade it on your $2,500 MacBook Pro, you'll understand the hyperbole (which is technically a euphemism).

DT

You can upgrade it and there are companies like MCE that specialize in that. Its just not user replaceble. Change is part of the game in computers.
  • Reply 409 of 423
    My macbook pro died just prior to macWorld, I replaced with MacMini awaiting the new possibilities. I need a new MacBook soon- transporting macMini to and from office a bit of a schlep, but not impossible for the short run. So right this moment I am good. Would YOU wait for the new MacBook pro (which hopefully will arrive by summer?)

or just spend the 3k now?

I know I will regret if in 3 months time a brand new redesign arrives.

This happened the last time I purchased my iMac ( as in one day later!) and I felt much regret.

I know eventually you have to say enough is enough with waiting for the next greatest computer to

arrive, but maybe this year is the year to wait.

your thoughts are appreciated, I know many of you are sick of this topic,

but thank you for indulging me one last time.

MP
  • Reply 410 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

That's not completely true. The MacBooks have been memory and HD upgradeable right from the start. I should know, I have a first gen MacBook and have upgraded both memory and HD.

Apple don't offer the paths themselves but pretty much every device they produce is upgradeable. The MacBook Pros are probably the least upgradeable of their computer hardware.

Yes, I would also like to be able to go to Apple for this. Mind you, I'd only be paying over the odds for something I can do at home. However I know that the old MacBooks can be upgraded to .11n - it's a tricky job and I'd rather pay Apple to do it, but when the time comes and I'm out of AppleCare warranty I'll just ask a friend to do it instead.

I hope you do find it, I too do not believe in blind loyalty to Apple nor any other manufacturer. But simply entering a forum angry, rubbing kind, helpful people up the wrong way using such words as "fatuousness" and "sophomoric" in the hope you may relieve some frustration will inevitably make you leave here even more frustrated.

I'm not trying to rub anybody wrong.

I'm sure that at least someone from Apple reads forums such as these. Hopefully, posts with grievances will be recognized above posts of adoration.

As for your last remark, read the posts they are responses to. Don't take words out of context.

DT
  • Reply 411 of 423
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

If you believe what you have written, you are truly misinformed.

Look, before you continue why don't you crack the case of a MBP and look inside (or save yourself the trouble and google it). Every single component is designed around every other component. The motherboard actually winds around the other components (fans, disks, etc.), its not exactly an off-the-shelf drop-in design any company could use. As I understand it, Sony still isn't capable of delivering the slot loading BR superdrives in any reliable volume. So how would Apple be able to design a case around a BR superdrive design that may not even be finalized? Its remotely possible that Sony may be incapable of delivering BR superdrives that meet the exact same form factor of the old superdrives. Sure the guys in Cupertino can do various motherboard redesigns based on what Sony can deliver, but it doesn't necessarily make sense from an "upgrade path" perspective for "older" MBPs.

Here's what I recommend. Get the best value laptop for yourself now. If something newer/better/greater comes out, evaluate for yourself if you "have to have it". If so, sell the "old" laptop and use the proceeds to buy the new one. But stop thinking of a laptop as being upgradeable like a tower, what you are getting in small size for a laptop is almost certainly at the cost of the flexibly the tower form factor gives you (and vice versa).
  • Reply 412 of 423
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    I got tired a long time ago of the small group of complainers who are absolutely obsessed with "upgrading" everything.

All they are really saying is they want something cheap.

Apple is not about to set up a whole infrastructure just to assist people in NOT buying their computers. The cost to "change out the hard drive" and other "upgrades" would be much higher than any average customer would want to pay, and hardly anyone would want to do that anyway.

Even if Apple provided that for some internal parts, the upgrade-obsessed would still be complaining that they couldn't get the new case put on or the new mobo "swapped in." It's ridiculous.

Just sell it on eBay and buy the new one. It's a few hundred dollars difference and you get a new warranty.
  • Reply 413 of 423
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Just sell it on eBay and buy the new one. It's a few hundred dollars difference and you get a new warranty.

That part always seems to go over their heads.
  • Reply 414 of 423
    You're so right...but when every Apple customer is as loyal as they are, they don't need those kind of incentives.

Macs = Crack

Quote:

DT

• Reply 415 of 423
    So now MacMall is saying that the 15" glossy MBP that I ordered on Feb 27 won't be in stock until March 7-15. All this to save on taxes, free Parallels (after rebate) and $30 all in one Epson printer (after rebate).....

afaljsdfkshfasdfhgsfhgsdfhslkjhasdfhkyjhd
  • Reply 416 of 423
    mmac778mmac778 Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markoh View Post

Since the stock fell to $120 and they needed to find out more ways to squeeze every penny out of their customers. Did you really expect a $2800 laptop to include a remote?

From my experience, most people don't use the remote much anyway, so by making it an OPTION, they are saving money and resources, plus, getting more money from those that HAVE to have one.

The only time I really use the remote is when I'm cleaning. I keep the remote in my pocket, and the music on the macbook going on the table.

Let's face it, if someone really wants one, they will pay for it. It just makes sense for Apple to offer it as an option, just as they offer additional adapters and such things separately, because they are less commonly used by the average consumer.
  • Reply 417 of 423
    Now, I may just be dense, but was the trackpad on the MBP supposed to be redesigned, or was it just upgraded with multi-touch "capability"?

I just don't know if it is supposed to look the same, or look like the MBA's trackpad.

I'm just curious...

I haven't really found much information on this.
  • Reply 418 of 423
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mmac778 View Post

Now, I may just be dense, but was the trackpad on the MBP supposed to be redesigned, or was it just upgraded with multi-touch "capability"?

I just don't know if it is supposed to look the same, or look like the MBA's trackpad.

I'm just curious...

I haven't really found much information on this.

The Broadcom chip that the iPhone and MBA was added to the new MBP, as well as the accompanying software and drivers, but the size and shape of both the trackpad and mouse button have stayed the same.

I'm certain that all Macs will have the MBA size trackpada nd mouse button with the next refresh.
  • Reply 419 of 423
    Well after a week of deliberation, it's ORDERED.. from MacConnection. This will be my first return to a Mac in over 8 years... I can't WAIT.

I got the MBP 15.4" Glossy 2.4Ghz 2GB 200GB, which is backordered. The new model in matte is available today. It looks like ANY of the Glossy models are hard to come by, with only the Apple store showing a quick shipping date on those.

MacConnection has $150 rebates on all new MacBook Pros. $50-100 off the MacBooks, and $50-100 off the iMacs. No sales tax unless you're in New Hampshire. They are also throwing in a free laptop case and VMWare Fusion (after rebate of course). Ground shipping was free, as it is for most retailers now days. For me this was the best option, if I went down to the Apple Store and wanted to buy VMWare and the same model, it would have ended up costing me $2250. After rebates this order will cost me $1844 -- I just have to wait a bit longer, but I think that's worth $400!

-K
  • Reply 420 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kristokn View Post

MacConnection has $150 rebates on all new MacBook Pros. $50-100 off the MacBooks, and $50-100 off the iMacs. No sales tax unless you're in New Hampshire. They are also throwing in a free laptop case and VMWare Fusion (after rebate of course). Ground shipping was free, as it is for most retailers now days. For me this was the best option, if I went down to the Apple Store and wanted to buy VMWare and the same model, it would have ended up costing me $2250. After rebates this order will cost me $1844 -- I just have to wait a bit longer, but I think that's worth $400!

-K

This is good information, I'll have to remind myself to check out MacConnection, because I know that taxes are a HUGE chunk of change.

Thanks for the tip!