Apple, Nike to tie iPod nanos into gym equipment

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Leveraging a partnership that began two years ago, Apple and Nike said Tuesday they hope to again redefine the way people work out by bringing the Nike + iPod experience to gyms around the world beginning this summer.

The shoe and iPod makers said they're actively working with major gym equipment manufacturers such as Life Fitness, Precor, Star Trac and Technogym to make their cardio equipment Nike + iPod compatible so health club members can easily track workouts onÂ*cardio equipmentÂ*like treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bikes and stair climbers.

Come this summer, Nike + iPod Sport Kit users will be able to simplyÂ*plug their iPod nano into compatible equipment at the start of their workout to automatically record their progress. Users can then connect their iPod with their computer to upload the workout to NikePlus.com.

"The iPod is an essential part of millions of people's workouts and now usersÂ*can easily set goals and track their progress with Nike + iPod,Â? said Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing for iPod.Â*"We're excited to be working with Nike and leading equipment manufacturers to bring the Nike + iPod experience to the gym."

Among the participating gyms are 24 Hour Fitness nationwide and Virgin Active Health Clubs internationally, where members will see workout data from their Nike + iPod sport kits converted to Â?CardioMilesÂ? following each work out, so that they can easily set goals and participate in challenges with runners and with users of other cardio equipment.

Since its inception back in May of 2006, runners have used the $29 Nike + iPod Sport Kit to log close to 50 million miles, according to Nike. The kit includes an in-shoe sensor and a receiver that attaches to iPod, allowing runners to track data on time, distance, calories burned and pace.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,957member
    I have been jones'n for the Nike shoe/iPod thing, but since I don't run anymore (be true to your knees and they'll never be false to you--apologies to Soupy Sales) and only walk uphill on the treadmill, it would have been a waste of money. But if I can plug into the equipment and use that cool software, that's another matter. Now, if they'll just make a transceiver doo-hickey for the iPhone that has replaced my Pod . . .
  • Reply 2 of 18
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I have been jones'n for the Nike shoe/iPod thing, but since I don't run anymore (be true to your knees and they'll never be false to you--apologies to Soupy Sales) and only walk uphill on the treadmill, it would have been a waste of money. But if I can plug into the equipment and use that cool software, that's another matter. Now, if they'll just make a transceiver doo-hickey for the iPhone that has replaced my Pod . . .

Yeah, I'd like to see this functionality come to my bike (non stationary type) too. This is the kind of thing that would really motivate me!
  • Reply 3 of 18
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    Is it within the realm of possibilty to pass along a computer virus from one iPod to another via this proposed method?
  • Reply 4 of 18
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,957member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post

Is it within the realm of possibilty to pass along a computer virus from one iPod to another via this proposed method?

See the new "Sheath" line of iPod cases from Trojan.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Now this is cool. Accuracy would be much higher with the machines vs. shoe sensors also.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:

Now, if they'll just make a transceiver doo-hickey for the iPhone that has replaced my Pod . . .

I'm with you, especially if there's no need for a dongle attachment.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    It always amazes me that Apple can think of something new and then everyone wonders why they didn't think of it because in retrospect it seems so obvious.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    nace33nace33 Posts: 94member
    If the iPod is going to plug into the machine how are you going to plug in your headphones. Seems to me that this would not be an ideal scenario. Your swinging arms would also get in the way.

Does this finally hint at Bluetooth headphones (and thereby bluetooth enabled iPods)?
  • Reply 9 of 18
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Well, in a few years they are sure to have an iPod / pacemaker tie up. Good for the aging crew. The pacemaker acts as a kind of metronome picking only tracks to the beat. As the beat goes up, so the tracks get more intense. Oh, wait... I can see where this would end up. May be not such a good idea after all. Never mind.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Well, in a few years they are sure to have an iPod / pacemaker tie up. Good for the aging crew. The pacemaker acts as a kind of metronome picking only tracks to the beat. As the beat goes up, so the tracks get more intense. Oh, wait... I can see where this would end up. May be not such a good idea after all. Never mind.

I can just see the news stories about kids slipping Greenday tracks into Mom & Dad's iPods to collect the insurance money when they blow out a vessel.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    lidofidolidofido Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Yeah, I'd like to see this functionality come to my bike (non stationary type) too. This is the kind of thing that would really motivate me!

It's harder on a bike. You need the heart rate monitor, cadence sensors, power tap access, and some way to track the speed (and with GPS, you need an aux speed sensor for when the GPS signals go out through tunnels and stuff). If (until?) Apple gets to the point of the ridiculously awesome Garmin Edge GPS units (GPS, all sorts of data monitoring, full integration with various software packages and motionbased.com), I'll switch to that. Otherwise, it's a no brainer - the Garmin Edge units are tiny and weigh nothing.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I'd just be happy if they made that iPod + receiver with a user replaceable battery. That, or lower the price of it so I can buy one every 6-12 months. Mine died after only 8 months of use.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    OMG!!

I've been using the current Nike+ system while on the elliptical machine to track my workouts and am glad we'll be getting an official solution. Crazy excited.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nace33 View Post

If the iPod is going to plug into the machine how are you going to plug in your headphones. Seems to me that this would not be an ideal scenario. Your swinging arms would also get in the way.

The headphone jack for my 2nd gen Nano is next to the standard 30-pin iPod connector. It would be possible to plug a nano at least into equipment and still have access to the headphone jack.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    nace33nace33 Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

The headphone jack for my 2nd gen Nano is next to the standard 30-pin iPod connector. It would be possible to plug a nano at least into equipment and still have access to the headphone jack.

That is not really a solution to the cord issue. You would need like a five foot headphone cord for that to work on a treadmill. The cord would just get in the way of your arm drive. Officially count me out if that is what Apple/Nike/Equipment manufacture expect me to do.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

I'd just be happy if they made that iPod + receiver with a user replaceable battery. That, or lower the price of it so I can buy one every 6-12 months. Mine died after only 8 months of use.

I hear ya - there have been some problems with the sensors dying. Careful, as the sensor will turn on any time you move it--so if you're wearing your running shoes around town for errands or whatever, it's using battery life. If you still have your receipt, you can get a replacement for free within a year. You can also buy a replacement sensor for $19 on nike.com or apple.com.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    it's just going to be wierd to see apple in my gym
  • Reply 18 of 18
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TravisReynolds View Post

it's just going to be wierd to see apple in my gym

its not full of iPods already?