Apples policy on upgrading after purchase?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Ok so here is my dilemma..I have a purchase window of 2 weeks, june/july of this year. I am leaning towards the MBP for a multitude of reasons, but I have gone HD at home and feel that a blu-ray drive on my lappy is as natural as bread and butter. So I am sorta reluctant to buy if Apple hasn't launched the blu-ray option..and I guess that could take a little longer than June..

To make this short..if I purchase the MBP without a blu-ray and then apple decide it's time to issue an update a short time later. What is Apple's policy on performing such after-purchase upgrades? Obviously I'd have to pay for it, but do they do them? I know people have had Apple authorized dealers replace their MPB keyboards here in Norway when they have bought them in the USA with US key-layout.

I just really want that MBP, but I know I will feel cheated if the blu-ray option is launched a short time later..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I'd say get a notebook when you need it or when your window allows. Then get an external BR drive if one hasn't been built into the notebook. Wouldn't sweat the built-in BR drive, as I don't think it's going to happen for quite a long time.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vaiper View Post

Ok so here is my dilemma..I have a purchase window of 2 weeks, june/july of this year. I am leaning towards the MBP for a multitude of reasons, but I have gone HD at home and feel that a blu-ray drive on my lappy is as natural as bread and butter. So I am sorta reluctant to buy if Apple hasn't launched the blu-ray option..and I guess that could take a little longer than June..

To make this short..if I purchase the MBP without a blu-ray and then apple decide it's time to issue an update a short time later. What is Apple's policy on performing such after-purchase upgrades? Obviously I'd have to pay for it, but do they do them? I know people have had Apple authorized dealers replace their MPB keyboards here in Norway when they have bought them in the USA with US key-layout.

I just really want that MBP, but I know I will feel cheated if the blu-ray option is launched a short time later..

Have you considered that by the time Apple's Blu-Ray superdrive finally arrives, the MBP form factor may be completely different and the eventual BR superdrive might not even be compatible with a current issue MBP (size, firmware, drivers, OSX issues)? You realize that Microsoft had to embed DRM into the core Vista OS just to get BR disk playback functionality?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    vaipervaiper Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mercury52 View Post

I'd say get a notebook when you need it or when your window allows. Then get an external BR drive if one hasn't been built into the notebook. Wouldn't sweat the built-in BR drive, as I don't think it's going to happen for quite a long time.

I am considering the external sollution, but it'd be nice to have it be internal just to avoid the extra piece of equipment.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Have you considered that by the time Apple's Blu-Ray superdrive finally arrives, the MBP form factor may be completely different and the eventual BR superdrive might not even be compatible with a current issue MBP (size, firmware, drivers, OSX issues)? You realize that Microsoft had to embed DRM into the core Vista OS just to get BR disk playback functionality?

Well, obviously I can't know this now..so I am just checking the various possibilities of installing an internal blu-ray drive as an after purchase, IF they are at all compatible.

The DRM issue, well..I am no programmer, but to me it sounds odd if they are unable to issue an update to Leopard that would add blu-ray DRM capabilities. I wasn't aware that Microsoft who wasn't pro blu-ray had added the blu-ray DRM to the OS core at launch date and that Apple who was pro blu didn't think to add it to their, newer, Leopard OS. This is however not something I have been reading up on, just sounds odd that's all

But, to the point..in the past, people who bought the Combo drives, and found out later they should've had the Double-layer SuperDrives. Have they been able to upgrade at a cost, but done by Apple? Never mind you might have to purchase a new OS at the same time. Compared to Vista, Leopard is cheap
  • Reply 4 of 6
    ozzieboyozzieboy Posts: 22member
    I have seen replacement drives that fit the machine (not external). Think of people just a few years ago who didn't get dvd burners stock on their machines...these are now sold aftermarket and work fine as internal drives. So it wouldn't surprise me if aftermarket BR drives became available as well.

The thing is, there will always be something new and better just down the road. If you can afford to wait, then wait. If you need it now for your own reasons, and it does what you want, and you can afford it, why not get it. I can see something like BR coming with a new form factor for the MBP...which is overdue anyway. I'd be surprised if we didn't see totally new MBPs this fall or next January. Then again, I was pretty surprised we didn't see them this past January. So what do I know.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    vaipervaiper Posts: 3member
    Yeah..there will always be something new and probably better down the road..and at the moment I can wait, but only until this summer. I guess only time will tell if they release something new in time for that. My post was just in an "incase they don't" post.. If they redesign the whole MBP to fit a blu-ray drive (which they very well might since the design is relatively old etc etc..)..then of course the external drive is the only sollution.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    I do tons of video work and could care less about Blu-Ray drives until the prices come down and they work out all the kinks.

You're better off not getting and early burners that has problems anyway, and the discs are still way too expensive. I'm gonna wait until the problems are worked out, the discs are a couple bucks each, and they don't take 25 hours to burn.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how long it takes to burn a 2x or 4x a 50 GB blu-ray disc?!