DCGUI and X11

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
How do I get DCGUI to run under X11? If I used the Mac OS X Binary of DCGUI would work? How do I get the source to compile and run under X11?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2:

<strong>How do I get DCGUI to run under X11? If I used the Mac OS X Binary of DCGUI would work? How do I get the source to compile and run under X11?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Just get the latest binary snapshot for OS X from dc.ketelhot.de. Then use fink to install QT and libxml, and you should be good to go.

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 2 of 12
    hmm ok I have libxml installed but my shell doesnt seem to wanna agree to that.. how do I direct my shell to where libxml is installed?
  • Reply 3 of 12

<strong>hmm ok I have libxml installed but my shell doesnt seem to wanna agree to that.. how do I direct my shell to where libxml is installed?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Your shell doesn't care about libxml at all - not sure what you mean here. If dcgui can't find it, then try using "rehash" or just opening a new terminal window and try from there. Oh, and it's actually libxml2, so make sure you installed that version.

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 4 of 12
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    ...and qt3 if memory serves.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    hmm ok i give up... im just gonna run it on a Pentium comp when i get 1... Im gonna get WinLinux. I hear that distro is good.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by serrano:

<strong>...and qt3 if memory serves.</strong><hr></blockquote>

... as I said in my first reply.
  • Reply 7 of 12

<strong>hmm ok i give up... im just gonna run it on a Pentium comp when i get 1... Im gonna get WinLinux. I hear that distro is good.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's really not that hard.

With an active internet connection, start X11, open an XTerm, and type the following:

[code]

sudo fink install qt3

sudo fink install libxml2

curl <a href="http://dcgui.berlios.de/files/dcgui/snapshot/macosx/dcgui-macosx-snapshot.gz"; target="_blank">http://dcgui.berlios.de/files/dcgui/snapshot/macosx/dcgui-macosx-snapshot.gz</a>; | gunzip &gt; dcgui

chmod a+x dcgui

./dcgui

</pre><hr></blockquote>

Unless I forgot something, this should result in DCGUI starting up.

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 8 of 12
    hmm... k im trying it now...
  • Reply 9 of 12
    ok well i got it working but its not what i expected it to be.... It doesnt really register my share.... the GUI is ugly... and the list goes on... but it was cool that i finally got it to work.
  • Reply 10 of 12

<strong>It doesnt really register my share....</strong><hr></blockquote>

Works just fine for me.

[quote]<strong>the GUI is ugly...</strong><hr></blockquote>

While I also don't particularly like DCGUI's looks, I think that at least from the usability point of view, its GUI is nowhere even near as horrible as the NeoModus client's one.

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 11 of 12
    razz how'd you get it to register all of your share? I have about 4GB worth of shared material and it only registers it as 1GB.....
  • Reply 12 of 12

<strong>razz how'd you get it to register all of your share? I have about 4GB worth of shared material and it only registers it as 1GB.....</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmmm, I just add the folders in Options-&gt;Sharing. Maybe you only have aliases or links to some of your stuff in the shared directory? I guess dcgui would at least not understand aliases. Or maybe wrong permissions? Other than that I really don't know why it wouldn't work for you.

Bye,

RazzFazz