Sony in Blu-ray talks with Apple, Microsoft

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
With its victory last month in the high-definition DVD format war, Sony is now said to be entertaining talks with rivals Apple and Microsoft over supplying its Blu-ray drives for future generations of the pair's electronics devices.

Microsoft has thus far backed Toshiba’s HD DVD format and offered an HD DVD drive that can be plugged into the Xbox 360, while Apple has remained relatively neutral, patiently waiting for the battle to resolve itself of its own volition.

The Financial Times is now citing Sony Electronics chief executive Stan Glasgow -- the same executive who recently vouched for Sony-branded Apple TV competitor -- as saying talks are underway with Microsoft over adopting Blu-ray in the 360, making it more competitive with the Sony PS3, but at the same time generating incremental revenues for the Japanese electronics maker.

"Mr. Glasgow, speaking at a media dinner, added that discussions were also taking place with Apple, which has not offered Blu-ray drives on any of its computers so far and has focused on digital media via downloads and streaming through devices such as its Apple TV," the financial paper said.

The report adds corroboration to an AppleInsider report from last Friday, which noted that Apple and Sony were in discussions over slot-loading Blu-ray drives for a future generation of Apple's MacBook Pro notebook series.

People claiming to be familiar with the matter had said that Sony is prepared to deliver Blu-ray Combo Drives capable of reading and writing CD media, but not writing Blu-ray DVD media. Apple, however, is said to have only expressed interest in a SuperDrive variant that could also write Blu-ray discs.

Should Apple reach an agreement to offer the Sony drives as part of its Mac platform this year, it's likely to do so only as a build-to-order option. As noted by the Times, most models currently fetch around $399.

Glasgow, however, noted that prices should fall to $299 by this holiday shopping season and to about $200 next year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 101
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Everybody on here who's been stating that Apple laptops and computers would not have nor need Blu- ray drives can now begin to eat crow- in huge portions.
  • Reply 2 of 101
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Everybody on here who's been stating that Apple laptops and computers would not have nor need Blu- ray drives can now begin to eat crow- in huge portions.

Just because "Sony is now said to be entertaining talks with rivals Apple..." doesn't mean they're close to being available, let alone necessary. There are lots of things I could get on a Mac laptop or desktop I don't need, now or ever. Like a modem. Or a game. Or a SCSI card.

Hopefully, if BR drives become available, they will be as additional cost options, so I'm not forced into buying something I have no use for. It would be dumb to assume everyone would want to pay the extra cost just because it's new and (potentially) possible.
  • Reply 3 of 101
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

People claiming to be familiar with the matter had said that Sony is prepared to deliver Blu-ray Combo Drives capable of reading and writing CD media, but not writing Blu-ray DVD media. Apple, however, is said to have only expressed interest in a SuperDrive variant that could also write Blu-ray discs.

In other words…

Sony wants to deliver Blue-ray Combo Drives that
    • Reads and writes to CD's

• Reads and writes Blue-ray disks

While Apple on the other hand wants a SuperDrive that
    • Reads and writes to CDs

• Reads and writes to DVDs

• Reads and writes to Blu-ray disks

Caw…Caw
  • Reply 4 of 101
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 5 of 101
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

How about a BTO to remove the Optical Drive in favor of a second HDD (or an SSD) in the Macbook Pro?

Sebastian

After the next MBP revision (about 4 years) I'd like to see the exclusion of an internal optical drive.
  • Reply 6 of 101
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

How about a BTO to remove the Optical Drive in favor of a second HDD (or an SSD) in the Macbook Pro?

Sebastian

That's a good idea.

I don't use my optical drive often and when I do its when I'm at home. I'd rather have a second battery.
  • Reply 7 of 101
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

? We still don't have them in the Mac Pro, where they can fit.

? They still won't be able to play HDCP Blu-ray movies until Montevina/case revison.

? We have yet see slot loading or slim design Blu-ray/DVD/CD drive that will fit in the MBP.
  • Reply 8 of 101
    Not to nitpick the article, but since when was Apple a "rival" on Blu-Ray? My recollection was they quietly supported it and simply didn't implement it into their computer systems. Hardly sounds like a rivalry to me.
  • Reply 9 of 101
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Sony is now said to be entertaining talks with rivals Apple and Microsoft

Kinda curious how Apple is a "rival" with blue ray?

MS backed HD DVD but Apple was neutral.
  • Reply 10 of 101
    knowing apple though the BTO option will be like a 900 upgrade, for instance the Mac book air 64 GB solid state is 999 upgrade option, which is the same price as (2) 32gb ipod touches, (500 each) So hopefully there'll be some more 3rd party products available as a more reasonable rate
  • Reply 11 of 101
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

The comments we made were in response to people complaining that the latest revisions didn't have blu-ray, or that it was doubtful that they'd be included in the next revision this summer, either (and I don't count a $300-500 BTO option as "included").

"In talks" is a long way from "in production". Personally, I hope the "talks" include AppleTV, where a blu-ray drive would be far, far more useful to the average person. And the small loss of download rental fees would be more than offset in the higher hardware sales (both in price and volume).
  • Reply 12 of 101
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

In other words…

Sony wants to deliver Blue-ray Combo Drives that
    • Reads and writes to CD's

• Reads and writes to Blue-ray disks

While Apple on the other hand wants a SuperDrive that
    • Reads and writes to CDs

• Reads and writes to DVDs

• Reads and writes to Blu-ray disks

Caw…Caw

As far as I know, the only drive that fits the bill is the MCE Blu-ray Disc for the Mac Pro which sells for $699. http://www.mcetech.com/blu-ray/

The portable counterpart is $749. http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/m...roduct_Count=1

In either case, that is a lot to crow about.
  • Reply 13 of 101
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    I'd take a faster Internet connection over BR. BR killed HD-DVD. Now let the Internet kill BR.
  • Reply 14 of 101
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgarlock View Post

knowing apple though the BTO option will be like a 900 upgrade, for instance the Mac book air 64 GB solid state is 999 upgrade option, which is the same price as (2) 32gb ipod touches, (500 each) So hopefully there'll be some more 3rd party products available as a more reasonable rate

Give me a break. 64 gig SSDs are state of the art and are very expensive everywhere. The $1000 add-on for the Air wasn't unreasonable--it's just what they cost today. I got a 4 gig USB drive for $20, that doesn't mean I could get a 40 gig SSD for $200 or a 4 terabyte drive for $20,000.
  • Reply 15 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

As far as I know, the only drive that fits the bill is the MCE Blu-ray Disc for the Mac Pro which sells for $699. http://www.mcetech.com/blu-ray/

The portable counterpart is $749. http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/m...roduct_Count=1

In either case, that is a lot to crow about.

Don't forget the cost of the media.

Most people won't need Blu-ray on a Mac for a few more years.

Only now is dual layer media getting affordable.
  • Reply 16 of 101
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Any Blu-ray drives had better damn well be optional. Why should all of us pay for something only a few dinosaurs will want. Even at 50GB or whatever the drive will be pretty useless as backup medium for today's systems. For god's sake people are buying Terabyte drives these days for backup and media storage. And watching a Blu-ray movie on a computer monitor...pppfffttt! A dedicated player, like a dedicated game console, will have more features and do a better job than a drive installed in a computer. Blu-ray drives on today's machines is a stupid idea and only adds unnecessary cost.
  • Reply 17 of 101
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

Well, that is oversimplifying things just a bit!

I got involved in the BluRay thing when posters were commenting like: if Apple doesn't have it on the next MBP revision I am not buying.

I never said that it should not happen or that it would not happen. But I think it will be a niche BTO that remains expensive and uncommon for several cycles of laptops.

It could be argued that in a few years it will be a standard laptop item. Maybe so.

It could also be argued that in a few years it will remain a niche item while on demand and downloaded content becomes the consumer standard. I don't really know.

Either way, I don't see any immediate vindication for the BluRay now folks...
  • Reply 18 of 101
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

I'd take a faster Internet connection over BR. BR killed HD-DVD. Now let the Internet kill BR.

Indeed. I downloaded the 2.1GB iPhone SDK in under 20 minutes this morning on my 20/5 FiOS. At that rate it should be able to give me live streams of iTunes-quality "HD" movies and offline downloads of Blu-Ray quality HD movies.

Of course, since I got a PS3 last year for Christmas, I'd probably still prefer to go buy the actual media, but still, it's nice to have options.
  • Reply 19 of 101
    An Apple TV with a re-writable CD/DVD/BluRay drive would seem like a natural companion to a MacBook Air. That hypothetical combination, in fact, makes me interested in two products that I otherwise would not even consider buying.
  • Reply 20 of 101
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

Did anyone say that macs would NEVER have a bluray drive?

Most of the comments I saw said that it would happen eventually, but not until the many issues were resolved. These are things like the format war, DRM issues requiring special video card features, size, cost, features, etc. And at least some of those seem to still be genuine issues.

I don't think there's any question we'll see it eventually see it, and eventually see it in everything. At first it absolutely should be an option and not something included in certain models (raising the price). Personally, it doesn't really interest me, and I probably won't get it until it's the same price as current DVD drives.