Apple posts iPhone Software Roadmap event stream

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has already posted a streaming version of its special iPhone software event.

The stream is said to provide developers and users alike an outline of the future for the iPhone.

Apple's Thursday event addressed the version 2.0 software and SDK for the iPhone and iPod touch. Both upgrades allow third-party developers to make native software available for the iPhone and also add enterprise support, including full Microsoft Exchange e-mail.

The presentation also addressed the first clear third-party software announcements from some of Apple's partners, including games from Electronic Arts and SEGA, as well as instant messaging from AOL.

Also unveiled was Apple's App Store, which will serve as the sole download source for publicly available third-party software.

More news from today's Apple event

Apple's iPhone takes on the Enterprise

Coming to iPhone: Instant Messenger, EA's Spore, SEGA games

Apple announces iPhone 2.0 software and SDK beta

Notes from Apple's iPhone Software Roadmap event

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Also unveiled was Apple's App Store, which will serve as the sole download source for publicly available third-party software.

If I remember correctly, you will also be able to get apps via iTunes.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freeny View Post

If I remember correctly, you will also be able to get apps via iTunes.

Yep. I think the point is that Apple will be the only source, but they'll offer them on the phone itself and in itunes.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I guarantee we'll see a veritable explosion of iPhone activity over the coming months. Very exciting times... now, about those iMac updates...
  • Reply 4 of 20
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Bob Borchers?
  • Reply 5 of 20
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I can't find the iPhone 2.0 beta download after I paid my $99. Anyone find it?
  • Reply 6 of 20
    le studiosle studios Posts: 199member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can't find the iPhone 2.0 beta download after I paid my $99. Anyone find it?

It should see a link to click and download. I'm downloading now the Beta it's 2GB. I'm kinda excited I haven't did programming in 13 years last since college then that was UNIX.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LE Studios View Post

It should see a link to click and download. I'm downloading now the Beta it's 2GB. I'm kinda excited I haven't did programming in 13 years last since college then that was UNIX.

I have the 2Gb SDK downloaded. What I don't have is the iPhone 2.0 OS.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    debenmdebenm Posts: 99member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

now, about those iMac updates...

Man do I ever agree!!!
  • Reply 9 of 20
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    After watching that video, two things come to mind. One: I can't wait to see MS and Adobe offering apps through the Apple App Store. This could be BIG! It would be cool if this became the default delivery for all kinds of software, even desktop and server.

And two: I think I might give Exchange Sever a second look. I've been using Unix for our mail for a long time. I tested Exchange in the past, only I didn't see any advantages at that time, now though, it might make sense.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Scott Forstall *so* gives me the shits.

I really want to watch this Apple presentation but I can't stand it. Will have to read the doco instead.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    I watched the video of the event last night.

The most fascinating part of this video for me is at the end, when John Doerr (Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers) spoke. I've seen actors imitating people like this before, but I've never seen these actual people before. He speaks quietly and articulately, and at the end of it, for the first time, I was left with the extraordinary sense that something revolutionary is in the process of happening.

There was another thing in the video I found interesting, which I haven't seen anyone mention yet (watch it be the subject of the post right above mine ). Remember that they brought in some people from outside to see what kinds of programs they could write in 2 weeks? From the Sega guy..."This is not a cell phone game," he said. "This is a full console game. And if anything, we underestimated what the machine was able to do graphically from the start. We had to actually fly in an extra artist to start scaling up the quality of the visuals to match what the iPhone was capable of giving us. And that's the best kind of problem that you have to solve on the development side." I agree
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Scott Forstall *so* gives me the shits.

I really want to watch this Apple presentation but I can't stand it. Will have to read the doco instead.

I thought he did very well. Perhaps you might try some Imodium.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    I agree with all of the comments, but one thing I also noticed is that Steve Jobs looked really ragged, has lost a lot of weight, and didn't have the same energy as we're used to. And I've never seen him relinquish as much of the presentation as he did here.

I suspect (total rumor I hope isn't true) that his cancer is starting to take it's toll.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidness View Post

I agree with all of the comments, but one thing I also noticed is that Steve Jobs looked really ragged, has lost a lot of weight, and didn't have the same energy as we're used to. And I've never seen him relinquish as much of the presentation as he did here.

I suspect (total rumor I hope isn't true) that his cancer is starting to take it's toll.

Hopefully not, but he did look thinner. Maybe he's just getting older and realizes that--like a college quarterback about to go pro -- you have to let the sophomore QB get some field-time. Bill Gates did recently retire, after all. It takes a lot out of you to be CEO of 2 companies (like I actually know ) He usually lets Phil do a bit. And since it's mainly a programming thing, he let one of the programmers go through the SDK. With a smaller audience, you don't give the same show as you do with a big audience. Let's all hope it's no more than this.

The kind of cancer he reportedly had doesn't generally carry the same dire prognosis as the more-usual form of pancreatic cancer. I've got my fingers crossed that it's just that he's a little older. Actually, what alarmed me most was that Mr Doerr paused to applaud Steve for being the world's greatest entrepreneur. Just praise it might be; I just hope it wasn't a eulogy. Steve Jobs is indeed a great man. I hope it's many, many years before we have to do that "I didn't fully appreciate him until he was gone" thing.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

Man I thought [Scott Forstall] did a GREAT job!

I was thinking the whole time, "This might be a good replacement for Steve Jobs."

Hopefully no time soon, but it's good for them to have a charasmatic person available if needed.

++

Thanks. I'm happy to see someone agreed with me. I thought he did well. I'm sure Phil is a great guy, but he just lacks animation on-stage. Scott Forstall did great. Anybody who has ever gotten on stage to talk to an audience knows how hard it is to get up there, move around, remember your presentation, and not look like you hacked your neighbors up and hid them in the basement last night.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

Hopefully no time soon, but it's good for them to have a charasmatic person available if needed.

Charismatic? Pfft. He's just a big phony.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidness View Post

I agree with all of the comments, but one thing I also noticed is that Steve Jobs looked really ragged, has lost a lot of weight, and didn't have the same energy as we're used to. And I've never seen him relinquish as much of the presentation as he did here...

When you reach the leetness that is the iCEO, the next stage of his spiritual evolution is to start and farm out the love, so to speak. He always had a long term vision, we're starting to see that play out with regards to the successors of teh Appel.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Charismatic? Pfft. He's just a big phony.

Scott's not bad, but he's not in the major running for taking over Apple. IMO. I wouldn't call him a phony as such...