Epocrates answers call of iPhone-wielding healthcare professionals

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Epocrates, Inc., the developer of mobile applications used by more than 500,000 healthcare professionals, has announced plans to bring its clinical software products to the iPhone.

The popular prescription management software was highlighted by Steve Jobs during the iPhone Software Roadmap media briefing alongside demonstrations by Salesforce.com, AOL's Instant Messenger service, and games from EA and Sega.

Â*

"By putting so much computing power into such an elegant mobile device, Apple has opened up tremendous opportunities for application developers," said Kirk Loevner, Epocrates Chairman and CEO. "The technology and software in the iPhone OS will allow us to create new and innovative applications that help improve patient safety and provide healthcare professionals with an unsurpassed user experience."

Â*

Epocrates' Native iPhone Clinical Software

Â*

Epocrates is one of a select few companies working directly with Apple to create an application that can be installed directly on the iPhone. It will enable healthcare professionals to have immediate, ubiquitous access to vital clinical information even in locations without Internet connectivity. When a network connection is reestablished, the device will be automatically populated with updated drug and safety information and important medical news.

Â*

A customized Safari version of Epocrates' free web-based drug reference is currently available at http://m.epocrates.com , which users can access via an Internet or Wi-Fi connection.

Epocrates provides drug dosing and drug interaction information to physicians, as well as presenting a database of reference guides for drug, formulary, disease, codes, and medical terms. The system also delivers clinical alerts to its users from the FDA, ISMP and CDC, updates content weekly, and offers mobile Continuing Medical Education courses.

Physicians Petition for the iPhone

Â*

Physicians have been extremely vocal in asking for a version of Epocrates software installed directly on the iPhone, with one doctor even starting an online petition months ago to drive awareness. Based on this demand, as well as the benefit of the product in helping to improve quality of care, Apple invited Epocrates to begin native development for the iPhone in advance of the availability of the public SDK.

Glenn Keighley, who has been working in mobile development for the last eight years at Epocrates, noted that "developing software for the iPhone is like developing for no other mobile platform. The sensation is for developing for a much more powerful, stronger, almost desktop-like environment. The main reason for this differentiation is the availability of the Cocoa Touch frameworks."

Keighley added, "We were able to take advantage of some of the unique features of the iPhone, like the SQL lite database to store our drug formulation information, and the enhanced screen resolution to show pill images on the device for the first time on any mobile platform." He also cited Core Animation as a powerful tool for making it easy to build an attractive, intuitive animated interface to enhance features as MultiCheck, used by Epocrates to monitor possible drug interactions for patients taking multiple medications.

A new Identify Drug feature is entirely new to the iPhone; it allows physicians to enter drug descriptions from patients by color, shape, and scoring to present a list of possible medications, each of which can be used to bring up a monograph detailing the drug.

A final version of the software is targeted to be available with the release of iPhone 2.0 software and the new iPhone App Store in June. Epocrates will also run on the iPod Touch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    I heard a prediction of 15 million iPhones yesterday.

If Apple gets into China and similar countries soon, what is to stop them from selling 20 million.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    vinitaboyvinitaboy Posts: 156member
    The metaphorical snow is now piling up fast and deep on the slopes of enterprise, ladies and gentlemen. This coming June (and for many, many, many quarters thereafter) we will see an avalanche of mythic proportions fueled by OS X, the iPhone, the iMac, the MacBook/Pro, the iPod, iTV, and more products from 1 Infinity Loop we have yet to embrace. Look! Up in the sky! It's morons who dumped their AAPL at $117 leaping from tall buildings . . . in a single bound. Oh the joy of that moment.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    malckwanmalckwan Posts: 11member
    How soon will the impact of iPhone 2.0 software show up on Mac penetration of enterprise?

Savvy IT managers should be brushing up on their UNIX and letting go of their attachment to Windoze. Start checking out specs on Xserves.

Microsoft & RIM are caught out on thinning ice now that Apple has begun to thaw the long cold winter of their dominance.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    They need to get some image recognition software on there so you can take a photo of the drug and it automatically recognizes which one it is...
  • Reply 5 of 25
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malckwan View Post

How soon will the impact of iPhone 2.0 software show up on Mac penetration of enterprise?

Savvy IT managers should be brushing up on their UNIX and letting go of their attachment to Windoze. Start checking out specs on Xserves.

Microsoft & RIM are caught out on thinning ice now that Apple has begun to thaw the long cold winter of their dominance.

I doubt most IT managers would go from one proprietary solution to another. If anything, IT managers should brush up on their Unix (and very specifically Linux) skills because OS X leverages a lot of open standards (LDAP, webdav, zeroconf). Then again, I doubt many people in the industry will even have to make much of a shift, because Linux has really pushed Unix-like systems to the forefront; the only people left out are the Windows admins who don't know much beyond that.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    This was the coolest app that was demoed. I will be getting this one right away.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    jbrowdyjbrowdy Posts: 22member
    This is great news. I hedged my bets that this and other third party apps would come around. Game On.....
  • Reply 9 of 25
    pup975pup975 Posts: 7member
    Let's hope that it's still free like the Palm version is.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Awesome. I'm going to med school next year and my iPhone will be doing double-duty! Now, I can get my parents to buy me a new 3G one!
  • Reply 11 of 25
    benbrobenbro Posts: 2member
    Interesting to see if Skyscape and (more importantly) UpToDate port to the iPhone - now that would be an absolutely killer app for those of us who don't have the luxury of wifi in work.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    as a pharmacist, this makes me REALLY happy to see.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allwedoistake View Post

as a pharmacist, this makes me REALLY happy to see.

As a junkie this makes me very happy to see this too.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

If Apple gets into China and similar countries soon, what is to stop them from selling 20 million.

People of China have 6 to more megapixel in their cameraphone. They use the cameraphone in everything they do in life. Why would they want OLD! laughable technology, even they laugh on how excited we get on technology they had like 5 years ago. Like the Samsung's SCH-B600 10 megapixel cameraphone. Among voice recognition while driving, The list is big on what it is LACKING! So don't count on China embracing the iPhone, unless they need an expensive paperweight

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/09/l...l-cameraphone/
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phoenixpr View Post

People of China have 6 to more megapixel in their cameraphone. They use the cameraphone in everything they do in life. Why would they want OLD! laughable technology, even they laugh on how excited we get on technology they had like 5 years ago. Like the Samsung's SCH-B600 10 megapixel cameraphone. Among voice recognition while driving, The list is big on what it is LACKING! So don't count on China embracing the iPhone, unless they need an expensive paperweight

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/09/l...l-cameraphone/

400,000 unlocked iPhones in China at a higher than retail prices says otherwise. Perhaps the technology and UI that is years beyond other Chinese makers is more important then a high megapixel camera with a substandard lens and HW for a 10MP camera is more important to the Chinese. That device is clearly meant to be camera w/a phone attached, not a phone w/a camera attached.

If the iPhone was so unattractive to the Chinese I wouldn't expect Meizu to have spent over a year trying to copy it and still failing to have anything resembling a working product. Their claims of a forward and aft camera at higher megapixel, more flash memory, and a cheaper price have all been squashed over the past year as they struggle to engineer to copy the American device.

Certainly, some people will want a device that that can edit Excel documents, has a GPS (regardless of the usable battery time) and large megapixel camera in a phone, but to think that all of China feels this way when the evidence points to it being a highly sought after item is short sided.

PS: The carrier on that proof-of-concept device is a S. Korean carrier, not Chinese. Plus, i can't find that device for sale by anyone. You were wrong about it's country of origin, could be wrong about it making to production?
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Epocrates is an impressive app, and just the medical profession could benefit from a dozen more just like it. But really: think about it! Pretty much any occupation that requires you to be able to read and write could use (or quite possibly be completely revolutionized by) applications like this being available on a device you can carry in your shirt pocket. The more I think about it, the dizzier I get. We may just have seen the world change in a big way!
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

400,000 unlocked iPhones in China at a higher than retail prices says otherwise. Perhaps the technology and UI that is years beyond other Chinese makers is more important then a high megapixel camera with a substandard lens and HW for a 10MP camera is more important to the Chinese. That device is clearly meant to be camera w/a phone attached, not a phone w/a camera attached.

If the iPhone was so unattractive to the Chinese I wouldn't expect Meizu to have spent over a year trying to copy it and still failing to have anything resembling a working product. Their claims of a forward and aft camera at higher megapixel, more flash memory, and a cheaper price have all been squashed over the past year as they struggle to engineer to copy the American device.

Certainly, some people will want a device that that can edit Excel documents, has a GPS (regardless of the usable battery time) and large megapixel camera in a phone, but to think that all of China feels this way when the evidence points to it being a highly sought after item is short sided.

PS: The carrier on that proof-of-concept device is a S. Korean carrier, not Chinese. Plus, i can't find that device for sale by anyone. You were wrong about it's country of origin, could be wrong about it making to production?

1) Yes 400,000 in China waiting to sell to Americans

2) have you seen youtube, friendster, myspace, facebook pretty much all the picture you see on those site looks to me that it was taken with a cameraphone, so American have the cameraphone fever as well

3) Why not copy the most beautiful phone in the world, make a profit and sell it to Americans wanting on open iPhone look a like. They will have the iPhone Look A Like up and running soon enough as always

4) Why not want in a "iPhone" things that Apple is gonna put in it any ways now. Apple is just hand us bit and piece of the real mccoy iPhone. Yes I want voice dailing, GPS, 5 or more MP cameraphone, video etc... Heck why not want that in a revolutionary iPhone, Apple is going to add all that I have stated, but they will trickle it out slowly, so that fools can keep buying the latest and the greatest every years or so.

P.S. Korean, Chinese, Japanese doesn't matter. They have advance cell phone over seas than us here in America. I have seen the GREAT picture these camera take, compare to our tiny cheap 2 mp cameraphone.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

People of China have 6 to more megapixel in their cameraphone. They use the cameraphone in everything they do in life.

Even when they are enjoying fragrant monkey tail?
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:

1) Yes 400,000 in China waiting to sell to Americans

2) have you seen youtube, friendster, myspace, facebook pretty much all the picture you see on those site looks to me that it was taken with a cameraphone, so American have the cameraphone fever as well

3) Why not copy the most beautiful phone in the world, make a profit and sell it to Americans wanting on open iPhone look a like. They will have the iPhone Look A Like up and running soon enough as always

4) Why not want in a "iPhone" things that Apple is gonna put in it any ways now. Apple is just hand us bit and piece of the real mccoy iPhone. Yes I want voice dailing, GPS, 5 or more MP cameraphone, video etc... Heck why not want that in a revolutionary iPhone, Apple is going to add all that I have stated, but they will trickle it out slowly, so that fools can keep buying the latest and the greatest every years or so.

P.S. Korean, Chinese, Japanese doesn't matter. They have advance cell phone over seas than us here in America. I have seen the GREAT picture these camera take, compare to our tiny cheap 2 mp cameraphone.

Here in Shanghai I've been absolutely amazed at how many iPhones I've seen people using. I believe the 400,000 iPhones that CMCC reported are iPhones that they've actually detected on the network. I'm not sure how they detect that, except for maybe somebody is using a particular line of phone numbers for them.

As someone who has lived and worked in Asia for the last 6 years there are two observations I would like to make:

1 - in South Korea, about three years back, a company (whose name I forget) made a mint by selling some cheap (only about $100), feature-less phone. Not everyone loves all the functions. At the time of the release of that phone, i saw people with it EVERYWHERE- even businessmen, which confused me.

2- People don't care quite so much about specific functions as long as the product is the newest, coolest thing on the market - iPhone meets that. The fact that it is not officially sold here makes it an even more desirable product.

Every time I go to the electronics markets here, I see boxes and boxes of iPhones for sale on the shelves of the independent shops (not AAR's). AND - I always see one or two people buying one - this despite the fact that people know they can't use all the functions on it.

It is true though that phones sold in Asia are lightyears ahead of the US. Three years back Samsung started selling phones on which you could watch TV - very useful for people who spend hours every day on the subway or bus- every time I was on the subway, I could see people watching TV :-) I think it included cable stations too, but I'm not sure.

Anyway - this Epocrates feature is awesome and beyond useful!
  • Reply 20 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

My prediction is for 27M iPhones in 2008. If the iPhone nano comes out that's included in that calculation.