BBC iPlayer official; Gameloft iPhone games; Beatles in 2008?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The BBC has finalized the first version of its iPlayer TV service for the iPhone and iPod touch. Also, Gameloft and id Software have weighed in on iPhone gaming, and Paul McCartney's divorce may be the last obstacle to the Beatles on iTunes.

BBC iPlayer launches for iPhone, iPod

True to its word, the British Broadcasting Corporation has formally launched its iPlayer service for Apple's iPhone and iPod touch media players.

While still a beta, the feature is the first instance of the on-demand TV replay service to be available for a portable device. Visiting the site from a normal computer requires either Adobe Flash (for streaming) or a Windows PC (for downloads) for copyright reasons.

The UK media outlet explains that the Apple-friendly version works by streaming a 516Kbps H.264 video feed over the website; as it's limited to just a narrow set of devices, no Flash plugins or software development kit support is necessary. The bandwidth does mean Wi-Fi is necessary. "The iPhone's EDGE connectivity is too slow," says the BBC's digital media head, Anthony Rose.

The BBC has promised a Mac-native iPlayer sometime in 2008.

Gameloft vows iPhone games this year

Although the iPhone and iPod touch have gone without any native games from its launch until the present, Gameloft on Friday said it would publish a full 15 titles for the devices by the end of the year.

The French company is considered one of the click wheel iPod's premier game developers and recently hinted at iPhone development through a mockup video just weeks before Apple's iPhone SDK presentation.

id Software's Carmack impressed by early iPhone development

Best known as the technology pioneer behind Doom and Quake, id Software co-founder John Carmack has weighed in on the merits of Apple's iPhone development process.

Initially, the software proves promising with ways to test iPhone apps either on the actual device or in software emulation. The App Store on iTunes is also described as an essential component: the 70/30 revenue split is good compared to many mobile app stores, and the sheer scope of the App Store for reaching customers is a "more important aspect than a lot of people understand," he says.

Still, he notes, his longstanding connection to Mac game development hasn't won him any favors from Apple, which didn't provide an advance build as it did to EA and a handful of other teams.

"I think Steve is still pissed at me over some negative comments I made about iPod development tools a while ago," Carmack says.

Sir Paul's divorce only roadblock to Beatles on iTunes soon?

Of all the described obstacles to the Beatles' catalog launching on the iTunes Store this year, the one major issue left may be Sir Paul McCartney's divorce from Heather Mills, claims the British newspaper The Evening Standard.

Digital versions of the Fab Four's rock group are a double-edged sword for McCartney, according to the source. While posting the albums on iTunes would help pay for his divorce from Heather Mills -- providing as much as $403.5 million to be split between the group -- it may also lead Mills to demand a settlement of $60.5 million or more. She knows that the digital catalog will inflate McCartney's future income, the paper says.

After having struck a truce with Apple Inc. last year, the Beatles' label Apple Corps is known to have sped up the process of remastering the group's collection for digital stores with the aim of a release before the end of 2008.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Digital versions of the Fab Four's rock group are a double-edged sword for McCartney, according to the source. While posting the albums on iTunes would help pay for his divorce from Heather Mills -- providing as much as $403.5 million to be split between the group -- it may also lead Mills to demand a settlement of $60.5 million or more. She knows that the digital catalog will inflate McCartney's future income, the paper says.

That's just crazy in my mind. I thought much of the principle behind divorce settlements is because of the value supposedly derived from the support of companionship when work was being done by the other spouse during the marriage. But the relationship didn't take place until three decades after the band split up, it's the same old work being cleaned up & repackaged. I guess the old fart should have insisted on a pre-nup, but then, it looks like those don't work in the U.K.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    John Carmack won't kiss anyone's rear end.. heh, heh.

Oh, and who cares about the iPlayer... it'll all end up on BitTorrent or YouTube anyway.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    nanoakronnanoakron Posts: 126member
    Can someone explain to me again why that lying slag deserves a penny of unearned cash for being a famous person's sperm recepticle for 6 years?
  • Reply 4 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post

Can someone explain to me again why that lying slag deserves a penny of unearned cash for being a famous person's sperm recepticle for 6 years?

Can someone explain to me WTF this guy is talking about?
  • Reply 5 of 31
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John French View Post

Basically, she wants to lay claim to money that he _will_ make in the future. That's just ridiculous in my mind, too.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    What's that I hear? Carmack trying to maintain his relevance by dropping childish phrases such as "This billionaire is still pissed at me"?
  • Reply 7 of 31
    ikirikir Posts: 127member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

What's that I hear? Carmack trying to maintain his relevance by dropping childish phrases such as "This billionaire is still pissed at me"?

Anyway Carmack is a legend, he simply state his point. The same a Steve (who is evena legend for me) but everytime somone don't agree with him they attack him on forums. He is the leader and he says his opinion, everyone can disagree.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Oh, and who cares about the iPlayer... it'll all end up on BitTorrent or YouTube anyway.

I think you're missing the point of the iPlayer. It's not really for watching things over and over again, or owning an entire series, it's being able to catch up on missed television shows. It's like TiVo or Sky+ but for BBC shows only and on your iPhone.

I for one (who torrents every-so-often) find the iPlayer a welcome break from having to trawl through torrent sites just to find the stuff I've missed. Then seed it for months, all because I missed a 30 minute show from last night.

iPlayer shows are up shortly after they are shown and are available for a week. Not only that but it's a great place to browse for shows you never even realised were on. Yesterday I went on to iPlayer to watch Mitchell & Webb (which was rather disappointing). Only while I was there I noticed a Horizon about life in the Universe. I'd have never known about that! Great programme.

¡Viva iPlayer!
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

Yesterday I went on to iPlayer to watch Mitchell & Webb (which was rather disappointing).

I agree - not as good as the 1st series...

Quote:

Only while I was there I noticed a Horizon about life in the Universe. I'd have never known about that! Great programme.

¡Viva iPlayer!

Thanks for the tip - I'll check it out!

Hopefully they'll get the iPlayer intergrated into AppleTV soon

- which'll finally give it a purpose in the UK!
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ikir View Post

Anyway Carmack is a legend, he simply state his point. The same a Steve (who is evena legend for me) but everytime somone don't agree with him they attack him on forums. He is the leader and he says his opinion, everyone can disagree.

Carmack usually speaks wise-words, even when he's critising the Mac (shock)

- but he's pretty on the money with all his points on the SDK

- it looks to be a pretty good development platform

- the Appstore pricing is pretty good compared to the alternatives

- and the Appstore distribution model is great for small & large developer alike.

Also, I think it's great the way apple has kept pretty quite about the 3D & sound capabilities of the iPhone/Touch, then, BAM!, suddenly, they've got a great handheld gaming machine!

- with an installed base of probably 10M already, 20M by year end (iPhone + Touch)

- like they said, it's a great platform on many levels....
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ikir View Post

I don't think anyone can reasonably disagree that he has been a very strong influence in the past in computer games. I don't know if he's still a relevant figure today. It's been a good while since his last major game / game engine, and it sounded like the response to that was tepid. Even if his recent work is solid, his influence has waned.

In a way, it's kind of like Steve Wozniak, I don't think Apple would exist without his input at the beginning, but, sad to say, he doesn't seem to have nearly the same creative influence today, even though he still does sound like a very bright individual. I know he's still active in the development of technology and active in society too, both of which are highly commendable. But as far as I know, he has no major pull with Apple or the direction of technology today, he's well known for what he did 30 years ago, but not for anything special that he did lately.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Basically, she wants to lay claim to money that he _will_ make in the future. That's just ridiculous in my mind, too.

Agreed. I wish a judge would just allow her a flat fee, say 10M UK Pounds, say be grateful and shut the heck up and go away.

Pre nuptial or not, common sense says she did zero to help him earn a single penny before or since they met and if anything has personally been able to make big money herself because of Paul's name. A very large sum such as 10M is far more than she deserves and any more is ridiculous.

As to her expecting anything from the iTunes business; that is beyond ridiculous!
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That's just crazy in my mind. I thought much of the principle behind divorce settlements is because of the value supposedly derived from the support of companionship when work was being done by the other spouse during the marriage. But the relationship didn't take place until three decades after the band split up, it's the same old work being cleaned up & repackaged. I guess the old fart should have insisted on a pre-nup, but then, it looks like those don't work in the U.K.

Well she gave an interview on national TV here and said she had never heard of the beatles.. if that didnt sound alarm bells then i reckon he deserves all he gets, its always been patently clear she IS a money grabbing gold digger.

honestly, IMO the wrong wife died.

• Reply 14 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Well she gave an interview on national TV here and said she had never heard of the beatles..

Wow, what's next, an admission that she's never heard of England before meeting Paul?
  • Reply 15 of 31
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John French View Post

Frankly, I cannot understand why a person like McCartney would even be interested in getting married. Shouldn't he just have his lawyers set him up on dates?
  • Reply 16 of 31
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

Is this divorce resolved yet?

Hey anybody threw 60 million of most anything at me (be nice people) and I'd be happy!

The way I hear it, it's not about when Mills came along and to any degree, how much of a help she was during her marriage to Sir Paul, but rather, the lifestyle she and their child is accustomed to. Apparently, 60 to 80 million and two homes just isn't enough for some people.

I do wonder how much money and how many homes Mills had before the marriage and although I am sure Sir Paul would take great care to provide for the baby between them, really, how much "accustom to things" is a 4 year old expecting???

Although I do not wish ill will to Mills, I do have a comment for Sir Paul...

Sir Paul, keep "Little John" in your pants, it's causing you to suffer a new STD called RHS, 'Robin Hood Syndrome', where your riches are being robbed and given to the poor!

Sorry, at this time, apparently there no known cure for RHS as long as a little hottie can shake her thing and make 'Little Johns' all over the world stand up and salute! So just make sure you can afford to catch RHS!!
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Quote:

Oh, and who cares about the iPlayer... it'll all end up on BitTorrent or YouTube anyway

iCare

Works really well and the picture quality is really good.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Groan. Do we have to suffer through "The Beatles are coming to iTunes! The Beatles are coming to iTunes!" stories all over again!?

Does anyone seriously think there is a human being left on this planet who does not already have all of his/her Beatles on iTunes already?
  • Reply 19 of 31
    tmizerektmizerek Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Groan. Do we have to suffer through "The Beatles are coming to iTunes! The Beatles are coming to iTunes!" stories all over again!?

Does anyone seriously think there is a human being left on this planet who does not already have all of his/her Beatles on iTunes already?

Imagine if iTunes carries all the Beatles videos, clips and Christmas greetings. Not many of us has that!
  • Reply 20 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

Wow, what's next, an admission that she's never heard of England before meeting Paul?

Probably not, she is from Newcastle