Need Help - Startup Options Not Working!!!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I hope someone can help with this...

I am trying to restart my MPB from the SuperDrive with the Leopard DVD in it. Everything I've read say to hold down 'C' on the keyboard while booting. But the Leopard documentation says:
Quote:

If you're working on a portable computer, press the Fn key in combination with the other keys listed here.

So I've tried the following:

* press power button, then immediately hold down the 'C' key.

* press power button, then immediately hold down the Fn + 'C' keys.

* hold down the 'C' key, then press the power button (continue to hold down the keys)

* hold down the Fn + 'C' keys, then press the power button (continue to hold down the keys)

* do each of the above but press the keys, then release

Each time, the MBP boots to the login screen. How can I get this thing to boot from the DVD??? What am I doing wrong???

.....a sad way to spend a Saturday night.....anxiously awaiting a reply.....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    I've also tried Command + S....no single user mode. And Command + V.....no verbose mode. What could possibly be prevent my startup options from working??? Everything I try does nothing. I just keep getting my login screen as normal.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    maybe you could insert the dvd then go to system prefs>startup disk and select the dvd as the start up disk
  • Reply 3 of 3
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Yes, that works but I'm planning to install a new hard drive. And I was going to install the new blank drive, boot from the DVD and do an install. But that won't work if I can't boot from the DVD. I just happened to try booting from the DVD as a test. I'm glad I did that before I installed the drive. But now what??? Has anyone else had this problem?