Next Apple notebook refresh rumored for June

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 167
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shawnathan View Post

I've said before, this is the last you'll see of the current MBP body type, and the best the MBP will be for some time. The case redesign is going to require new hardware and with new hardware comes new bugs.

I just bought a new Penryn Macbook Pro, 2.5 GHZ, 200GB 7200rpm and it's going to be sweet. If you need it, buy a Macbook Pro now. In a year and a half, they will be on the first update of the new body type. At that point you should consider if you need a new one. If you care about having the latest greatest body design, wait 6-8 months and see what comes out. But at this point it's only speculation to what will happen and when it will happen. Hell, Tailpipe had people - even me - convinced a redesign was coming Feb 26.

shawnathan,

Yes, my reputation is shot to pieces. But I was told two important facts:
    1. February 26 for the update

2. A new MBP enclosure design definitely in the works

I therefore assumed automatically that the new MBP was arriving on said date. At least I got the date right, (you will notice I reported this correctly before the event). As you probably realise, I only got this information, because my contact let something slip during a conversation.

Anyway, I stand by info gleaned over Christmas: new version is still aluminium, but thinner (20 mm versus 24.5mm), lighter, with a new keyboard, larger trackpad, new longer-life Lithium Polymer battery and with latest Penryn / Centrino 2 chipset. I imagine that new packaging only becomes possible with revised Centrino components.

So, if you believe the story at the beginning of this thread, it now it looks as if the redesigned MBP will appear when Centrino 2 makes its debut in May/ June, possibly later, but certainly by September. I stand by my original description: evolution not revolution.

New thinner MBP will weaken case for MacBook Air. Perhaps this was the best reason to delay its introduction?
  • Reply 162 of 167
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

shawnathan,

New thinner MBP will weaken case for MacBook Air. Perhaps this was the best reason to delay its introduction?

Perhaps with the MBA there will not be a thinner MBP.
  • Reply 163 of 167
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    First Centrino2 announcement I've read:

http://m.engadget.com/2008/03/08/eur...-the-centrino/
  • Reply 164 of 167
    rogue68rogue68 Posts: 98member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BJNY View Post

First Centrino2 announcement I've read:

http://m.engadget.com/2008/03/08/eur...-the-centrino/

Interesting that they've got a May 1st delivery date on that Eurocom. Since Eurocom smashed the last MBP claim to fastest tested laptop what's the betting Apple will want to ace them this time around?

After the huge wait for Penryn and 90-or so day wait for Montevina seems too good to be true, but maybe we're in luck.
  • Reply 165 of 167
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    Okay, let me get this right, Intel is releasing Montevina early of May so you can expect a MB and MBP update by early June, right?

Also, I belive the MBP can only be slightly thinner, my bet is the current LCD will be changed to LED like MBA so it will be thinner.

Im not sure about the MB though, but maybe I should wait till college start where I will really need a Apple notebook. Dang, I just missed owning a Merom MBP which has about $500 discount. Damn!
  • Reply 166 of 167
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Okay, let me get this right, Intel is releasing Montevina early of May so you can expect a MB and MBP update by early June, right?

That will depend more on Intel than on Apple.

When the Merom chip came out Apple took a loooooong time to actually update their MacBook Pros. Everyone else in the industry had already Merom based notebooks out by the time Apple delivered their update 3 or 4 months later.

If that's happening again (and I wouldn't be surprised) expect Montevina ("Centrino 2") MacBook Pros not before August/September.

However, Intel could sweeten the deal, or in fact enforce it, by stopping to offer Santa Rosa chipsets once Montevina is available. If that's the case, then Apple has no choice and has to upgrade. Like recently when they had to update MacBooks as well because the Merom chip no longer ships.

I'm counting on Intel to get Apple's proverbial butt moving!
  • Reply 167 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Also, I belive the MBP can only be slightly thinner, my bet is the current LCD will be changed to LED like MBA so it will be thinner.

It's been an LED-backlit screen, in the 15" MBP, since June 2007.