iPhone v2.0

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Discuss: What hardware features should/will iPhone v2.0 have? More flash memory? 3G? GPS? etc...

Discuss What built-in software features should/will be added to iPhone v2.0?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    front facing camera for video chat

voice dialing-speaker independent

3g

firefox and activex (i need that for work)

modem for laptop

gps
  • Reply 2 of 62
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

front facing camera for video chat

voice dialing-speaker independent

3g

firefox and activex (i need that for work)

modem for laptop

gps

I think 3G is a pretty certain thing.

As for front facing camera, there is a trade off here: being able to take pictures of other things or being able to take pictures (or video) of yourself. Apple has obvious chosen the former, and I agree.

GPS – It would be great, obviously for maps and direction, but also for some sort of iPod/Nike App for fitness that tracked distance ran, speed, pacing, etc. Now the question is, is GPS cheap enough to include.

Firefox doesn't use ActiveX that I know off... (?) I'm pretty sure FireFox would be available, although it seems to me it would be redundant.

As to modem for laptop, you won't see that but you might see wireless tethering. That's really up to AT&T though.
  • Reply 3 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

I think 3G is a pretty certain thing.

As for front facing camera, there is a trade off here: being able to take pictures of other things or being able to take pictures (or video) of yourself. Apple has obvious chosen the former, and I agree.

GPS – It would be great, obviously for maps and direction, but also for some sort of iPod/Nike App for fitness that tracked distance ran, speed, pacing, etc. Now the question is, is GPS cheap enough to include.

Firefox doesn't use ActiveX that I know off... (?) I'm pretty sure FireFox would be available, although it seems to me it would be redundant.

As to modem for laptop, you won't see that but you might see wireless tethering. That's really up to AT&T though.

Since Firefox is software, it wouldn't be a "feature" for the next hardware version of the iPhone.

If you're talking about the hardware, obviously the next "version" of the hardware is going to be 3G.

If you're talking about the software and sdk thing SJ called version 2.0, well that will have better networking, better chat, more apps and no chance at 3G.

Going to be interesting to track versions.

iPhone version 2.0 with the sdk and better networking, more security and all.

And a 3G phone SJ said was coming later this year.

What's THAT.... iPhone 3.0? (after the sdk iPhone 2.0{software} in June)

Anyone think we could see the 3G announcment timed to coincide with the iPhone 2.0 software update at the end of June?

As far as firefox is concerned, it would be pretty silly on the iPhone.

Let's stick to a browser tuned to the platform.

(and anyone wishing for I.E. just stop right now....)
  • Reply 4 of 62
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

If you're talking about the software and sdk thing SJ called version 2.0, well that will have better networking, better chat, more apps and no chance at 3G.

Going to be interesting to track versions.

iPhone version 2.0 with the sdk and better networking, more security and all.

And a 3G phone SJ said was coming later this year.

What's THAT.... iPhone 3.0? (after the sdk iPhone 2.0{software} in June)

Do you realize that you are talking about two completely separate things here? The Software Development Kit and the iPhone Operating System Version 2.0?

The SDK is an extension of XCode. It resides on your Mac and provides the APIs needed to create applications for the iPhone. For an annual $99 fee you can become an iPhone Developer and be able to install and debug code directly on your iPhone. As an iPhone Developer Apple will distribute your application to all the iPhone users, taking a 30% of the purchase price that you set.

The iPhone OS 2.0 resides on the iPhone. This operating system will be required by the iPhone users to access, install and use these new third party applications. Apple also announced that OS 2.0 will have other features and applications to enhance the iPhone for corporate users. No SDK involved or needed.
  • Reply 5 of 62
    I see the GPS comming, I also bet we are going to get like an "istat" version for the iPhone
  • Reply 6 of 62
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TravisReynolds View Post

I see the GPS comming, I also bet we are going to get like an "istat" version for the iPhone

I also see GPS coming, especially with Apple's emphasis on how the iPhone lets you know "WHERE you are" (refer to the March 6 video). But ultimately it depends on cost and battery life.
  • Reply 7 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Do you realize that you are talking about two completely separate things here? The Software Development Kit and the iPhone Operating System Version 2.0?

The SDK is an extension of XCode. It resides on your Mac and provides the APIs needed to create applications for the iPhone. For an annual $99 fee you can become an iPhone Developer and be able to install and debug code directly on your iPhone. As an iPhone Developer Apple will distribute your application to all the iPhone users, taking a 30% of the purchase price that you set.

The iPhone OS 2.0 resides on the iPhone. This operating system will be required by the iPhone users to access, install and use these new third party applications. Apple also announced that OS 2.0 will have other features and applications to enhance the iPhone for corporate users. No SDK involved or needed.

That's the point of what I said.

The iPhone 2.0 is what Steve called the next software for the iPhone in June.

People been talking about the 3G phone and calling it the next iPhone.

The firefox comment was software, and that relates to the softrware SJ said was iPhone 2.0

(new os version for the SDK apps to run with)

3G and GPS could only come with new hardware, and as I said, what's THAT.... iPhone 3.0?

So people can talk about the next hardware, GPS, more memory, better camera, 3G.

Or people can talk about the iPhone 2.0 which is an OS update to come out so applications built with the SDK can be deployed.

Talking about the next version of the phone, 2.0 is software and something else is the hardware.

Firefox makes no sense, and it would be software anyway, not hardware.
  • Reply 8 of 62
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    ok so why do i want firefox??? because for work i use citrix + firefox

http://www.citrix.com/site/SS/downlo...s.asp?dID=2755

citrix doesn't work on safari

that would be way cool to do my work with an iphone (i can do it now for the first time with my macbook and don't need windbloz
  • Reply 9 of 62
    It is certainly only software on the Treo. Third party software at that. However, it is a battery hog. Therefore, I tend to use the Plantronics transponder dongle that has its own battery. I expect this solution to work for the iPhone when Belkin delivers the extender so that I can attach the dongle to the iPhone.
  • Reply 10 of 62
    eswankeswank Posts: 14member
    Ummmm....

How about a basic feature like picture messaging? Or recording video (albeit low-quality, but it's a phone, afterall)? Or receiving MMS without getting a stupid link in the SMS. I would just like to see my iPhone perform the same functions as the free phone I got before (SMS, MMS, video/audio recording, etc.) As cool as the iPhone is, I just can't believe they didn't put these basic features that free phones come with, and I would be appalled to see them not corrected in the update.
  • Reply 11 of 62
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

My two-year old Samsung phone's camera swivels, so it works both ways. They could do the same thing on the iPhone 2.0.
  • Reply 12 of 62
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

My two-year old Samsung phone's camera swivels, so it works both ways. They could do the same thing on the iPhone 2.0.

Frankly I some times wish that they wouldn't even bother. If they can't come up with a camera that is significantly better then I say rip it out and let us go without. Of course that is a sign that I'm a SLR user but really I can't see how Apple could be proud of the current camera.

As a side note do understand that the potential is there for a significantly better Camera in the iPhone. An incredible amount of research is taking place with respect to tiny cameras for these devices.

Dave
  • Reply 13 of 62
    Among the GPS and 3G. The iPhone needs to capture video.
  • Reply 14 of 62
    Yeah definatley. But then again hackers have already made several apps to record video but I think its only 10 seconds max lol Im guessing iphone has the hardware already in place if hackers have unlocked this feature so the current one should recieve this feature soon.
  • Reply 15 of 62
    All the problems I have with iPhone relate to the Mail application. Such as the inability to empty the trash with a single-button tap, an "Empty Trash" button! And the ability to select & delete multiple messages easily from the Inbox. it seems like a feature that's probably/should be there already but I'm yet to discover.

I'd also like to type emails with iPhone in landscape mode to make use of the larger keyboard.

Maybe we'll see these in 2.0?
  • Reply 16 of 62
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    What we want is pretty much an infinite set of features.

What I want:

Hardware

Larger screen in the same form factor (3.7 inches)

720x480 screen resolution for increased readability of small text

Louder, stereo speakerphone, mainly for more pleasant music/video experience

More microphones for better conferencing

1.5+ Mbit/s HSPA data with EDGE/GPRS backup

802.11a/b/g/n

GPS with Google maps (I don't really care about nav)

Higher capacity battery (obviously needed with new features)

16/32 GB storage (32 probably won't be coming until late 08 though)

2 MP, maybe 3 MP, camera optimized for low-light performance and burst shooting

Noise reducing headphones

Software

Larger 1, 2, 3 finger multi-touch language set (editing features would be included)

File manager with Coverflow, Quicklook

Expose enabled by finger gesture

Better handling of text input for Safari

Scientific calculator (wish granted!)

USB host (with dongle accessory)

Bluetooth file transfer

Games! (wish likely granted)

Spotlight-like search

Safari 3.1 (likely!)

Powerpoint viewer (wish granted!)

Tethered modem

What Apple will ship:

Hardware

3G radio (no-brainer)

32 GB storage (maybe in Nov)

GPS (50%)

3.2+ MP camera (50%)

Not much else

Software

What was announced for iPhone 2.0 during the SDK announcement

Scientific calculator

Powerpoint viewer in Mail

Improved Safari for Webaps (local storage, full screen, etc)

Not much else
  • Reply 17 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Frankly I some times wish that they wouldn't even bother. If they can't come up with a camera that is significantly better then I say rip it out and let us go without. Of course that is a sign that I'm a SLR user but really I can't see how Apple could be proud of the current camera.

I couldn't agree with you more.
  • Reply 18 of 62
    Quote:

As a side note do understand that the potential is there for a significantly better Camera in the iPhone. An incredible amount of research is taking place with respect to tiny cameras for these devices.

Dave

If you dont like then dont use it. Believe it or not a phone cam can come in handy when you may want to take spontaneous pics here and there. (Flame Removed - JL) Iphone is not an imaging focused phone so why on earth would they be proud of it anyway.
  • Reply 19 of 62
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

If you dont like then dont use it.

Just because you don't like the performance of something doesn't mean you wouldn't use it from time to time.

Quote:

Believe it or not a phone cam can come in handy when you may want to take spontaneous pics here and there.

The flip side of that is that some places you can't go with a camera phone. The problem with Apples camera is its performance relative to the leading edger phones on the market. Lets face it, the iPhones camera is hardly leading edge.

Quote:

Iphone is not an imaging focused phone so why on earth would they be proud of it anyway.

I would hope that Apple would be proud of everything they build. Just as I try to be. There is really little point in building anything you can not be proud of.

Dave
  • Reply 20 of 62
    Quote:

Just because you don't like the performance of something doesn't mean you wouldn't use it from time to time.

The flip side of that is that some places you can't go with a camera phone. The problem with Apples camera is its performance relative to the leading edger phones on the market. Lets face it, the iPhones camera is hardly leading edge.

I would hope that Apple would be proud of everything they build. Just as I try to be. There is really little point in building anything you can not be proud of.

Dave

If you work in a building which doesnt allow cameras then perhaps you should take that into consideration next time when purchasing a phone.