Stream WiFi to iPhone via Mac's Built-in Airport?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a 2007 Mac Pro and a new iPhone. My current internet setup is a modem two floors down connected to my dad's computer running up to my computer by a wire; no router. I quickly started an aiport network with my Mac and my iPhone recognized it and joined the network with a strong signal. I started up Safari on my iPhone to test it but the wifi icon went away and I haven't been able to get it back.

Is what I'm attempting to do actually doable?

Do I need an airport express/extreme?

Any advice for getting his set up is greatly appreciated. I did some googling and couldn't find anything very useful.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    What you are doing is certainly possible.

Can we assume you've turned Wi-Fi off then back on and re-chosen the network on your iPhone?... that'd be my first step anyhow.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

What you are doing is certainly possible.

Can we assume you've turned Wi-Fi off then back on and re-chosen the network on your iPhone?... that'd be my first step anyhow.

Indeed I have, I even tried starting a new network.

I attempted it yet another time, the WiFi icon came up until I tried to load a new webpage. Then it switched to EDGE network.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    So you are using your Mac Pro as the base station then, trying to connect via internet sharing?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

So you are using your Mac Pro as the base station then, trying to connect via internet sharing?

Yes, I believe so. I set up a network on my Mac Pro and I'm trying to connect my iPhone to work off of that network so I don't have to use EDGE at home.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    play around with your settings to see what is going on
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TravisReynolds View Post

play around with your settings to see what is going on

I'm not very smart as far as networking goes, but I'm no computer idiot. I've messed around with a lot of things but have had no luck. I'm hoping someone can give me a direct procedure to attempt.

Also, the majority of the links to the products on your webpage (i.e. Mac Pro) don't work.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Can I stream my itunes from my iphone to my airport?

AND is there a way to bluetooth my phone book contacts to my bluetooth stereo in my car?