Sony in Blu-ray talks with Apple, Microsoft

Comments

• Reply 61 of 101
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Which is it?

http://www.mcetech.com/blu-ray/

A Blu-ray drive for the Mac Pro. I don't see what that has to do with the quoted post.

Quote:

Unfortunately there are no mac-based B-R authoring tools atm. you can burn files to b-r using toast, that's about it.

But, for authoring...

You can author now using Encore, or author using Windows. We are talking about NEW Macs after all. I'm going to use Ulead Movie Factory Plus to author Blu-ray as a stp-gap until DVD Studio Pro is properly upgraded. It comes next week and I get to start my experimentation. I'm a bit worried about only being able to author in Mpeg-2, but as long as it works it'll be good enough for now.
  • Reply 62 of 101
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

A Blu-ray drive for the Mac Pro. I don't see what that has to do with the quoted post.

But, for authoring...

You can author now using Encore, or author using Windows. We are talking about NEW Macs after all. I'm going to use Ulead Movie Factory Plus to author Blu-ray as a stp-gap until DVD Studio Pro is properly upgraded. It comes next week and I get to start my experimentation. I'm a bit worried about only being able to author in Mpeg-2, but as long as it works it'll be good enough for now.

Apple will probably address authoring for iDVD, and DVD SP in one update.
  • Reply 63 of 101
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

As an example on my Hp Dv9700t a blu-ray drive is a 275.00 upgrade. In the Apple world that will be a 500.00 upgrade. Just not going to happen until prices come way down. We are talking about a company that is always behind the curve when it comes to hardware compared to Windows systems.

They can't even manage a simple ATSC/NTSC tuner in any of their systems, yet you expect them to drop in a blu-ray drive. Yeah thats going to happen.

Like someone else pointed out maybe they should work on a system that can actually hold a decent internet connection first.

Isn't that blu-ray drive ROM? In other words READ ONLY

http://laptoping.com/hp-pavilion-dv9700t.html
  • Reply 64 of 101
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:

Isn't that blu-ray drive ROM? In other words READ ONLY

http://laptoping.com/hp-pavilion-dv9700t.html

Correct. Most are read only at this point at least for Hi-Def. The thought of Apple actually putting in a RW BR drive at this point would be even further from reality. Based on the fact that Apple likes to make 50% on hardware there is no way they could make is cost effective.

I guess it is possible for them to make it an option on the Mac Pro, however I do not see it coming to the rest of hte Apple line any time soon.
  • Reply 65 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Based on the fact that Apple likes to make 50% on hardware there is no way they could make is cost effective.

I challenge you to support that statement.
  • Reply 66 of 101
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:

I challenge you to support that statement.

First of all it wasn't a statement but an opinion. Second support of my opinion would be that Blu Ray has been out for a while yet it is still not even available on the highest end Mac Pro. Why not? If I can get a blu ray reader on a 1300.00 HP how come someone can not get it on a 10,000 Mac Pro?

Next if you haven't noticed by now Apple isn't really big on offering options. You kind of get what SJ wants you to get. BR will be available when SJ believes it is needed and not a day sooner. Apple doesn't even offter a simple HD tuner on any of their systems which is pretty standard in the PC world, yet you think your going to see a BR writer soon? You're dreaming. An iMac still comes standard with 1gig of ram yet you think they are going to pop in a 900.00 drive as an option? As far as Apple hardware prices, all you need to do is price out 4gig of ram online and the same ram from Apple. That will answer your question.

Also if you haven't noticed the US economy is pretty much in the tank. I believe I read on this site along with others that Apple even cut back its projection for SD drives for the Macbook Air simly because people are not spending money right now. A BR drive would be in the same ballpark when it comes to cost so I don't see Apple adding high cost upgrades at this time or taking stock in products that simply will be hard to sell.

The fact is there isn't a person here that could truly support one side of this better then the other, its strictly an opinion based debate.
  • Reply 67 of 101
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Why is Apple suddenly a Rival to Blu Ray? Apple was one of the first on board of the Blu Ray consortium.

Great catch!
  • Reply 68 of 101
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

haha! Thanks! i thought it might have only been me wondering the same thing!

Quote:

But, for authoring...

I haven't used encore, to be honest. it might be a decent stop-gap. though going windows otoh would mean sonic scenarist, and that's just crazy money there.
  • Reply 69 of 101
    Quote:

Why is Apple suddenly a Rival to Blu Ray? Apple was one of the first on board of the Blu Ray consortium.

Where did you get the idea that Apple is a "Rival to Blu Ray?"

According to Blu-Ray.com it may just be that nobody has built a Blu-ray drive as yet.

"Sony is also in talks with Apple, who has been extremely (quiet) about offering Blu-ray drives despite being a part of the Blu-ray Disc Association. It was rumored that Apple was prepared to offer a Blu-ray drive with the latest upgrade of their MacBook Pro laptops, but that there were size and power consumption issues. It is expected that Apple will incorporate Sony's new drives, which are much smaller and use less power, this summer when they are released."
  • Reply 70 of 101
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:

Where did you get the idea that Apple is a "Rival to Blu Ray?"

According to Blu-Ray.com it may just be that nobody has built a Blu-ray drive as yet.

"Sony is also in talks with Apple, who has been extremely (quiet) about offering Blu-ray drives despite being a part of the Blu-ray Disc Association. It was rumored that Apple was prepared to offer a Blu-ray drive with the latest upgrade of their MacBook Pro laptops, but that there were size and power consumption issues. It is expected that Apple will incorporate Sony's new drives, which are much smaller and use less power, this summer when they are released."

Did you not read the first paragraph in the first post in this tread posted AppleInsider:

Quote:

With its victory last month in the high-definition DVD format war, Sony is now said to be entertaining talks with rivals Apple and Microsoft over supplying its Blu-ray drives for future generations of the pair's electronics devices.

• Reply 71 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

Did you not read the first paragraph in the first post in this tread posted AppleInsider:

And you interpret that as Apple is a Rival to Blu-ray? Dumb.
  • Reply 72 of 101
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

I haven't used encore, to be honest. it might be a decent stop-gap. though going windows otoh would mean sonic scenarist, and that's just crazy money there.

I'm getting Ulead's MovieFactory Plus and the HD plug-in pack for stop-gap authoring under Windows. It, my burner, and my Blu-ray test player are coming in this week. I should be able to find some time to start experimenting this week. I'll let you know. Altogether that's only $100 worth of software.

There's also Roxio's DVDit Pro 6 HD for $300. I was going to get it before learning of Ulead's offering. Both seem to be limited to MPeg-2 though, where-as Encore is supposed to let you author in H.264. All three let you author Blu-ray HD video discs with menus. that play in set top players.

*Disclaimer - this is all from my window shopping. I won't have actual experience to share for a week or two.
  • Reply 73 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

? They still won't be able to play HDCP Blu-ray movies until Montevina/case revison.

? We have yet see slot loading or slim design Blu-ray/DVD/CD drive that will fit in the MBP.

Wrong on both counts. HDCP isn't an issue on iMacs or notebooks because the computer sees the screen as integrated. I played HD-DVDs on my MacBook Pro's internal screen with no problem using the Xbox drive. As for the internal drives, FastMac has been selling MacBook pro sized slot loading BD burners for quite a while. I remember seeing the press release over a year ago.

Quote:

As far as I know, the only drive that fits the bill is the MCE Blu-ray Disc for the Mac Pro which sells for $699. http://www.mcetech.com/blu-ray/

The portable counterpart is $749. http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/m...roduct_Count=1

In either case, that is a lot to crow about.

http://store.fastmac.com/product_inf...roducts_id=338

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Any Blu-ray drives had better damn well be optional.

Of course they would be, just like DVD drives were at first, just like CD drives were at first. You act like Apple could successfully pull off sticking $300-600 drives into their computers with no cheaper options.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

They offer some drives, but I think the problem is getting a 9mm thick slot-loading Blu-Ray drive

Quote:

Right now there isn't a Blu-ray writer that fits the MBP.

• Reply 74 of 101
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

Wrong on both counts. HDCP isn't an issue on iMacs or notebooks because the computer sees the screen as integrated. I played HD-DVDs on my MacBook Pro's internal screen with no problem using the Xbox drive. As for the internal drives, FastMac has been selling MacBook pro sized slot loading BD burners for quite a while. I remember seeing the press release over a year ago.

1) How would I use that expensive BD with an external monitor? It's pretty pointless for me to watch a Blu-ray movie on a 15" screen.

2) The only MBP that FastMac offers the drive for is the 17" MBP. Again, there is no slim (9mm), slot loading BD for the MB or MBP.
    Works With:

? iBook G4

? iMac G5

? iMac Intel

? MacBook Pro 17-inch

? Mac mini

? PowerBook G3 Pismo

? PowerBook G4 Titanium (667 Mhz or higher)

? PowerBook G4 Aluminum
  • Reply 75 of 101
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    My Mac Pro already has a Superdrive. All I need is a separate Blu-Ray reader, not an all-in-one.
  • Reply 76 of 101
    recdrecd Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

definitely.

Unfortunately there are no mac-based B-R authoring tools atm. you can burn files to b-r using toast, that's about it.

Adobe encore CS3 will author a Blu-ray disc on a Mac. Can then use toast to burn it in an external Blu-ray burner.

AS far as I know there is no way to watch a commercial Blu-Ray disc on a mac.
  • Reply 77 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) How would I use that expensive BD with an external monitor? It's pretty pointless for me to watch a Blu-ray movie on a 15" screen.

2) The only MBP that FastMac offers the drive for is the 17" MBP. Again, there is no slim (9mm), slot loading BD for the MB or MBP.
    Works With:

? iBook G4

? iMac G5

? iMac Intel

? MacBook Pro 17-inch

? Mac mini

? PowerBook G3 Pismo

? PowerBook G4 Titanium (667 Mhz or higher)

? PowerBook G4 Aluminum

Right on.

Plus,it is amazing that it has been out nearly a year and still little is known about it. Besides not fitting a Macbook Pro 15, it has a couple of other major issues, i.e., high price and can't play whatever few commercial Blu-ray movies are currently available.

And for those ready to jump in, careful, lots of blogs re inoperability. And please read the Fastmac FAQs on the product.
  • Reply 78 of 101
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

And you interpret that as Apple is a Rival to Blu-ray? Dumb.

Yes. It's exactly what it says. That Apple is a Rival to Sony which is representing Blu Ray. It seems pretty clear that is what Appleinsider wrote. Grammar wise it wouldn't be describing Apple and Microsoft as rivals because the sentence isn't structured that way. From the way the sentence is written you infer that Sony is the root and Apple and Microsoft are the balance, or remainder. It is without question that it is implied that Apple is a rival to Sony, or Blu Ray.

But, in this case I don't see why Apple would be considered a rival.
  • Reply 79 of 101
    synpsynp Posts: 248member
    Quote:

Yes. It's exactly what it says. That Apple is a Rival to Sony which is representing Blu Ray. It seems pretty clear that is what Appleinsider wrote. Grammar wise it wouldn't be describing Apple and Microsoft as rivals because the sentence isn't structured that way. From the way the sentence is written you infer that Sony is the root and Apple and Microsoft are the balance, or remainder. It is without question that it is implied that Apple is a rival to Sony, or Blu Ray.

But, in this case I don't see why Apple would be considered a rival.

Apple is a rival of Sony, not of BR.
  • Reply 80 of 101
    panupanu Posts: 135member
    The author needs to look up words in the dictionary before using them. On a Mac, that isn't hard. The battle can't resolve itself of its own volition, because the battle isn't a sentient being. A battle doesn't have a will. What the author meant was the battled would resolve itself on its own, or better yet, just resolve itself.