Return to Castle Wolfenstein from PC to Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Ok, here's my sad sad story. Before switching I had a cobbled together PC. After switching it became my gaming platform. It has now died for the final time. Its latest thing is that it doesn't like video cards, any video cards. AGP, PCI, it doesn't care.

This has left me with a number of fully legit PC gaming titles and a PowerMac 867. I've downloaded the Return to Castle Wolfenstein playable demo and it looks better on my Mac with 32 megs of video then it did on my PC running a GeForce 4 4200 with 128... go fig.

So here's the question; Is it possible to get the demo to use the game files from my full version PC discs? I hope so, because I'd also like to resurrect Jedi Knight II and Voyager: Elite Force, among others. Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    My guess is no......
  • Reply 2 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Guartho:

<strong>Ok, here's my sad sad story. Before switching I had a cobbled together PC. After switching it became my gaming platform. It has now died for the final time. Its latest thing is that it doesn't like video cards, any video cards. AGP, PCI, it doesn't care.

This has left me with a number of fully legit PC gaming titles and a PowerMac 867. I've downloaded the Return to Castle Wolfenstein playable demo and it looks better on my Mac with 32 megs of video then it did on my PC running a GeForce 4 4200 with 128... go fig.

So here's the question; Is it possible to get the demo to use the game files from my full version PC discs? I hope so, because I'd also like to resurrect Jedi Knight II and Voyager: Elite Force, among others. Any ideas?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Maybe.... whether or not it's legal or not I don't know. I did it with Unreal a couple of years ago. All you can do is experiment.

[ 02-16-2003: Message edited by: drumbug1 ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 12
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quake 3 had some sort of cross-grade from PeeCee to Mac. Go to their web site and see if it's possible with Wolf'
  • Reply 4 of 12
    if it's anything like quake3 arena then you need to download the latest update for RTCW first, let it unpack and install itself and it'll automatically place files in the appropriate folders.

Once that's done, pop in your RTCW cd, go to the base folder and look for the pak0.pk3 file, then place it in the base folder that was created on your Hard drive when you installed the latest update.

Once you've done that you should be ready to go. I'm not sure if the pak files exist for RTCW, if not it should be something similiar. Not 100% sure this'll work, but it's worth a shot
  • Reply 5 of 12
    From what people have told me, only the executable file is different. I know this is the case for Unreal Tournament.

I have no idea if it's legal to swap executable files between Mac/PC games!
  • Reply 6 of 12
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I've tried various combinations of the demo, the 1.41 update, and the PC CDs with varying degrees of success.

So far though, nothin has worked without at least one file from the demo. I've finally gotten the update single player execute files to launch the game though. The result is the full version front end/main menu, but once I complete the first level it takes me to a credit screen as if it were the demo. The multiplayer executable takes me to a blank screen with a grey 1 inch cursor and the music playing perfectly. I move the cursor around blind and the menu sound affect can sometimes be heard, as if I'm over a menu item, I've tried clicking on these but there's no apparant result.

Later on I'll try dropping files from the demo one at a time to see just which ones are critical... so far the best combination has been Update --&gt; PC main files (none replaced) --&gt; demo main files (all replaced)
  • Reply 7 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Guartho:

<strong>Later on I'll try dropping files from the demo one at a time to see just which ones are critical... so far the best combination has been Update --&gt; PC main files (none replaced) --&gt; demo main files (all replaced)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why are you using Demo files at all? It would be interesting to see if "PC version full" could be used as "Mac version full" simply by swapping an EXE file...
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I've tried that actually. So far I can not get the game to open without at least one of the demo files. I need to find out exactly which ones are critical and then find out what's special about them before I expect any progress.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    AFAIK, many of the data files remain the same across platform, but there are certain game libs which have been recompiled for PPCs which is why you can't just drag and drop PC files to get the full version to work.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    muahmuah Posts: 165member
    Someone give him a screenshot of the files (including size) from a working Mac version.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Partial Success! I've managed to get single player mode fully up and running using only my PC CD's and the downloadable updater for the Mac version. I was missing a couple of DLL files from the GL folder on the PC CD. I assumed the Mac update package would have all of that sort of thing that it needed, but I was obviously wrong.

Multiplayer mode accepted my CD key, then the screen dimmed and went to that yellow open-gl screen and hung there indefinately. I had to force quit.

I return to the struggle!
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Ok, so I clicked on "Multiplayer" from within a single player game and it took me to the multiplayer screen without any problems. On top of that I can now open straight from the multiplayer executable without problems.

Naturally I won't be able to declare it fully functional till I've played the whole thing, but it seems to be working perfectly at this stage.