Apple's iPhone 2.0 firmware to bring contact search?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Tucked away in Apple's presentation of its iPhone and iPod touch version 2.0 upgrade was evidence of a search feature coming to the handset's contact list.

As noted in a post by blarg Kaboom, an inconspicuous magnifying glass icon -- visible for just a few moments -- appears just above the alphabet search strip in the Contacts application in one of Apple's slides during the presentation from last week.

Without a live demonstration of the feature, the exact behavior of the icon is uncertain. Nonetheless, the image resembles the Spotlight icon in Mac OS X Leopard, alluding to a likely search function for iPhone owners with large contact lists or specific search criteria.

Apple hasn't discussed the presence of the image. No users with access to the iPhone software development kit have reported the feature appearing in the contact list for the version 2.0 beta, however, which hints at a feature either pulled from the software or else shelved until its planned final release in June.

In November, Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster fueled speculation by claiming that a phone-wide search feature would appear along with the iPhone SDK for Apple's official announcement, which was planned for February at the time. While the accuracy of the researcher's sources has yet to be settled, they suggested that users could search not just contacts, but also data within calendars and email messages.

The lack of search has been a frequently cited omission from the iPhone's feature set since its launch last June.

Click here for larger view.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    There's no link to click .
  • Reply 2 of 30
    jont-ukjont-uk Posts: 25member
    If my ailing memory can recall I thought there was the iPod Touch's 'contacts' icon on the main screen of the iPhone as well ... a big thumbs up from me as I find it a real pain to have to get to my contacts through the phone function ...

Jon
  • Reply 3 of 30
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    Cool, although that icon seems too small to be clickable, but I guess it will be changed.

So now all we need are:

1- Voice Dialing, for calling while driving.

2- Voice Recording, for taking audio notes on the go.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    If you all so notice on the phone how it has the group icon next to "All Contacts".

hmm, I wonder what that could be.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suhail View Post

Cool, although that icon seems too small to be clickable, but I guess it will be changed.

So now all we need are:

No I dont need that
  • Reply 6 of 30
    swilcoxswilcox Posts: 20member
    Let me take a wild stab: it does the SAME THING as it now does. That Group icon has been there all along.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    swilcoxswilcox Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by btitusjr View Post

No I dont need that

I don't either.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    mimicmimic Posts: 72member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jont-uk View Post

If my ailing memory can recall I thought there was the iPod Touch's 'contacts' icon on the main screen of the iPhone as well ... a big thumbs up from me as I find it a real pain to have to get to my contacts through the phone function ...

Jon

VERY true.

Apple, i'm still waiting for...
    • View Numbers files. Duh!

• Folder for storing files that i can view or send.

• Ability to save to that Docs folder.

• Ability to send contacts.

• Ability to send iCal events.

Also, i'm wondering why my phone wont sync my iCal and contacts correctly. I hope i don't have to 'restore' my phone
  • Reply 9 of 30
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    There are various icon changes in the 2.0 Apple showed. From what I remember the calculator icon was different and iTunes was different.

The phone will need system wide search. I already have four pages of web icons. Its becomimg a chore flicking from page to page. It will become worse when I add apps.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Voice dialing is not important to me, but voice memos could be quick and convenient to have. Maybe built into Notes as a one-stop memo destination.

I like the idea of the search icon, but it doesn't stand out--maybe they should put it in a circle like the Tiger Spotlight icon.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by futuramaking View Post

If you all so notice on the phone how it has the group icon next to "All Contacts".

The Address Book interface in the iPhone SDK suggests the presence of contacts groups in version 2.0 of the iPhone software.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    freestatefreestate Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by futuramaking View Post

Im guessing you do not have an iPhone - that has been there since the phones release - it goes back to the groups you have set up in your address book on a Mac. Its not new and we know what it does
  • Reply 13 of 30
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MiMiC View Post

Apple, i'm still waiting for...
    • View Numbers files. Duh!

• Folder for storing files that i can view or send.

• Ability to save to that Docs folder.

• Ability to send contacts.

• Ability to send iCal events.

And what about Expose and Fast User Switching. My iPhone won't replace my Mac until they have these
  • Reply 14 of 30
    tbusbytbusby Posts: 4member
    Quote:

So now all we need are:

yeah, I would like that too, voice dialing especially. Surprised to see so many say they don't need it. I don't have an iPhone yet, still using a Windows based smartphone but I'm ready as soon as iPhone 2 arrives. The vioce dialing I use on my smartphone works great, no need to train it. I use it on the road thru bluetooth headset, just say "Dial xxxx" and away it goes. I hope this experience will be duplicated on the iPhone. I really don't like fumbling around with my phone while driving, so voice dialing is a must for me.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    I just want simple functions for my iPhone:

- The ability to record Video

- The ability to send pix and flix messages without using the phone number email bypass

- The ability to make and/or buy other ringtones rather than spending $2 for each one from Apple

That would be a great start for me, after holding off on getting the iPhone since its debut I finally broke down and made the purchase only to find it lacked these simple yet effective abilities!!!
  • Reply 16 of 30
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Voice dialing is not important to me, but voice memos could be quick and convenient to have. Maybe built into Notes as a one-stop memo destination.

Look for Note2Self coming to the iPhone. Its actually pretty slick since we can do some neat things on the iPhone we cannot do on other devices (not giving the ideas away).
  • Reply 17 of 30
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    1) Voice Dialing is important for many - my father won't buy one without it because he's used to pressing the button on his Jabra earset and speaking the name to dial on his Motorola V710. Really, anyone who drives. talks, and doesn't have sophisticated car phone integration can use this feature. And even when you're walking around, it's nice to not have to pull your phone out when you simply want to dial. But Apple WANTS people to pull the phone out, to show it off more...

2) What happened to copy/paste?

3) MMS

4) Flash
  • Reply 18 of 30
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    Voice dialing is especially important for the iPhone because there is no-way to feel the numbers with your fingers when driving, so you must take your eyes off the road, look at your screen and touch the numbers.

If you're using the address book and the number you need is not in your Favorites, you must first click the Phone icon, click the contacts icon, scroll to find your contact, click it, and then click the number to dial from the contact info screen. You must do all that while your eyes are on the phone, VERY dangerous when driving!
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:

So now all we need are:

during the presentation, one of the components of the "media" layer of the OS was "voice recording" if i remember correctly. so it's there in the actual OS, apple just doesn't feel like using it yet.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    rhowarthrhowarth Posts: 144member
    But you can search your contacts already, even in 1.0 firmware. It's called the Maps application. Oh wait, that doesn't sound right. Let me go check.