Mac OS X 10.6 - What will they call it? And what will it have?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Is it too early to be thinking about OS 10.6? I say no. But before we embark on trying to guess what the 'friendly' name for the next OS X release will be, let's look at what we've had previously...

10.0 - Cheetah

10.1 - Puma

10.2 - Jaguar

10.3 - Panther

10.4 - Tiger

10.5 - Leopard

10.6 - Zebra??

So far a rather obvious pattern, wild cats, if I were to assume they stick to the wild cat thing I'm going to throw my guess into the hat and say the next major release will be called Mac OS X 10.6 "Lynx"... and will ship with an Atari Lynx emulator (okay perhaps not)...

If they do away with the cat pattern (would that be a cattern?) I'm going out on a limb and say they'll call it.......

Zebra... and if you check my post further down this thread you'll see my reason why...

And what innovative new features will 10.6 bring? I think the most-hyped feature will be something relating to a next-gen multi-touch interface... but what else? We've got 64-bit, a 128-bit OS is highly unlikely at this stage or next, we've all the 'core animation' we can shake a stick at... what next?! Maybe they'll add a Dock that uses the inbuilt iSight camera in a semi-transparent way making the Dock SO reflective that you can see yourself in it! That would be great!

So, what do you think? Answers on a postcard please, or on the forum will be just fine I'm sure

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    Resolution independence.
  • Reply 2 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cbwright View Post

Resolution independence.

That's a new'un, what's that?
  • Reply 3 of 65
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ActionJaxon View Post

My other suggestions are "Cougar" and "Cheetah"...

Version 10.0 was called Cheetah (ironically), so it won't be that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ActionJaxon View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cbwright View Post

Resolution independence.

That's a new'un, what's that?

Wow, for once Wikipedia has a dearth of information on a computing-related subject (there is an "article" but it's not great). How odd.

Resolution independence is basically about being able to display things on a screen at a fixed size, independent of the resolution of the screen. If you want to display a line 2 inches long, then on a screen with 150 dpi resolution, that line has to be 300 pixels long. But on a screen with 300 dpi resolution, that line has to be 600 pixels long. Resolution independence in an OS would provide an API to allow software to say "draw me a line x inches long", rather than what's available currently, which is "draw me a line x pixels long".

Of course, that's an over-simplification, but hopefully you get the idea.

You could also try searching these forums and on google, I'm sure you'll get plenty of hits.
  • Reply 4 of 65
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I think the main feature of 10.6 will be a 4D Dock which reflects the desktop picture and the windows behind it.
  • Reply 5 of 65
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    10.7 seems like Lion to me, but who knows, maybe it'll be 10.6
  • Reply 6 of 65
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Hopefully the next OS will contain a reliable syncing mechanism so that a user can keep files on a Mac Pro and MacBook Pro perfectly synced.
  • Reply 7 of 65
    bobertoqbobertoq Posts: 172member
    It will be called Mac OS 10.6 Pynx (no, not Lynx) and it will be released next Tuesday
  • Reply 8 of 65
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    I'm shooting for Ocelot, myself. Ocelots don't get no love.
  • Reply 9 of 65
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Hopefully the next OS will contain a reliable syncing mechanism so that a user can keep files on a Mac Pro and MacBook Pro perfectly synced.

Amen...
  • Reply 10 of 65
    All this talk of resolution independence, and we had Display PostScript and NeWS decades ago.

I cannot imagine why that technology only made it through to Mac OS X in muted form (Quartz 2D)--other than licensing issues. They had to have known the direction monitors were going in, and could have predicted the need for a resolution-independent UI.
  • Reply 11 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Unison.
  • Reply 12 of 65
    is there a relation in the order of the names?

Cheetah was 0.. well thats the fastest cat

Pums was 10.1 well its not the next fastest....

Um.. i give up ill go for "Domestic : persian"?

not really but ill go for "Snow leopard"

Name101
  • Reply 13 of 65
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Tabby.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

I think the main feature of 10.6 will be a 4D Dock which reflects the desktop picture and the windows behind it.

And what exactly is this fourth dimension? Because if it's a typo, we already have a 3D Dock. Unless you mean true 3D, which would require a holographic projector. And somehow, I don't think the Doc wants to spare his mobile emitter...
  • Reply 14 of 65
    You guys think we will have 10.6 in January? I think we will. We get one about every 2 yeras
  • Reply 15 of 65
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    The next Mac OS 10.6 has got to be called either "Lion" or "Cougar".
  • Reply 16 of 65
    10.6 in Jan? Theres a chance we might know its name by then I guess, but it'll be 2010 at the earliest before we get our hands on of me thinks
  • Reply 17 of 65
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Yeah, not too much pressure on Apple to release next version. Up to 10.4 it was all about making the OS usable and fast enough, 10.5 was to stay one step ahead of ms, now they are one step ahead of ms, no real rush to get that second step ahead...
  • Reply 18 of 65
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    I think that the features of 10.6 will depend upon other hardware releases. More multi-touch support and a significant overhaul of Inkwells, support for blueray (if not provided by a leopard update). OpenGL 3 maybe, if it is ever released, and full support for ZFS as an option. Some new applications or utilities.
  • Reply 19 of 65
    My guess is they will reveal the name of 10.6 in June 2009 (Maybe January 2009, but that's a stretch.) And some features in June 2009. Possible release date of Summer 2010.

That's just my guess though.

BTW, If I had to guess the name, I'd say "Lynx"

(One poster above suggested Zebra, and I really like that. (Wouldn't the box art be awesome?)
  • Reply 20 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissKitty View Post

One poster above suggested Zebra, and I really like that. (Wouldn't the box art be awesome?

The ONLY reason I suggested Zebra is this... Within the Nature images preindtalled in 10.4 Tiger there was a background image of Leopard spots, I found this purely coincidental, now I may have imagined this bit but I thought I saw a Tiger stripes background amongst the images in Panther too, and in Leopard theres a Zebra striped image. Can anyone confirm firstly if Pather does include a Tiger image, and if so does the pattern continue backwards? Ie - a Panther image within Jaguar etc?

As for box art - the Leopard box art wasn't Leopardy in any way. Maybe Zebra will have a picture of the moon surface on it?