Safari downloads in leopard adds extra extension

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Help help please. I can't work this one out.

If I am accessing my Netmail online such as Hotmail, and I want to download an attachment. I will click it and it will download no problems, but Leopard will add an extra extension of .as.

So the file of "mypic.jpg" will become "mypic.jpg.as" which it obviously doesn't have a clue what to do with it.

It occurs with all types of files inc pdf files.

Has anyone else encounted the same problem, and how have they fixed it?

All apps are fully up to date.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    tarltarl Posts: 41member
    I've never had that problem, but I can offer some solutions.

Have you tried another browser? Or another account on your Mac?

Maybe it's on the netmail end. Have you tried on another computer?

These steps might at least narrow down the problem.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    saphroxsaphrox Posts: 12member
    I haven't yet, but will get Firefox installed, and check it all out. And... thank you for your response
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saphrox View Post

So the file of "mypic.jpg" will become "mypic.jpg.as" which it obviously doesn't have a clue what to do with it.

Has anyone else encounted the same problem, and how have they fixed it?

This behavior does not change the file in any way. Delete the .as extension and your files will be completely normal. I don't have a clue what the .as extension stands for. However, Safari adds extensions to some of my downloads. It can be annoying, but it nothing that I worry about.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    There's the possibility that the server is being an idiot, seeing there's a Mac client, and sending an AppleSingle encoded file... the extension for those is .as.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    elronelron Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

This behavior does not change the file in any way. Delete the .as extension and your files will be completely normal. I don't have a clue what the .as extension stands for. However, Safari adds extensions to some of my downloads. It can be annoying, but it nothing that I worry about.

This is correct. Safari likes to add file extensions so that the file's name reflects the type that the web server things it's sending. So, if the web server is telling Safari that it's getting a "video/mpeg" file and the file name is "someMovie.avi", Safari will automatically add ".mpg" to the end. This is especially annoying when web servers get types completely wrong, which happens more often than it should. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to download a .rar file that the server says is text/plain. It's a lot of fun watching Safari sputter and choke as it tries to display a 10MB binary file as text.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    saphroxsaphrox Posts: 12member
    Well thank you for this infomation. You have all been very helpful. I guess we'll just have to put up with it..............Till Apple have 51% marketshare anyways....