Lionsgate joins Apple's Digital Copy for iTunes program

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Not everyone takes a flippant attitude toward laws. Regardless, it was one of several reason I mentioned.

Isn't DVD ripping only illegal to do in Australia and that backwards country known as the US?
  • Reply 22 of 31
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Isn't DVD ripping only illegal to do in Australia and that backwards country known as the US?

It's Just Illegal Enough (TM) to keep the major software companies from publishing applications that make it easy to do. If Handbrake was charging money for the great product, it would be much more likely to be the target of lawsuits (even if only in the US and Australia). If the software isn't pre-installed, on the shelf on Wal-Mart, or available on Amazon, the average consumer will never hear about it. For most users, Handbrake doesn't exist.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    It's interesting they're also doing it with blu-ray, that's something I had wondered about.

I wish people would stop calling lionsgate an independent film studio now though, that's kind of a joke.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

For most users, Handbrake doesn't exist.

They sure know about ThePirateBay and VLC though!
  • Reply 25 of 31
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

I wish people would stop calling lionsgate an independent film studio now though, that's kind of a joke.

I don't recall if Altman started the company with his own money or used investors, but either way, it's now publicly traded so it is no longer an independent studio on that front. However, it is the largest independent film distributor, so perhaps some are referring to that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

THe usual reports say that only a small percentage make up for most torrent use. I know plenty of people that know nothing about torrents or transcoding media.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Quote:

I think one has to be desperate to use VLC.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    The Digital Copy file comes on a DVD-ROM, no matter if you purchased the film as a DVD or BD.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    [QUOTE=solipsism;1227950 I know plenty of people that know nothing about torrents or transcoding media.[/QUOTE]

Not everyone knows about every software out there. I know plenty of people who know nothing about Macs, iPods, OS X, or iTunes.

Quote:

I think one has to be desperate to use VLC.

Every top downloads tracker I've ever seen has VLC being a lot more popular than iTunes. Many of them have it listed as the number one download.

As a standalone player, VLC is actually really good. Just drop files in the playlist, and they work virtually every time no matter the source. It's a much more functional application for what it does than anything I know of.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Quote:

Every top downloads tracker I've ever seen has VLC being a lot more popular than iTunes. Many of them have it listed as the number one download.

As a standalone player, VLC is actually really good. Just drop files in the playlist, and they work virtually every time no matter the source. It's a much more functional application for what it does than anything I know of.

It's very functional in terms of what it will do, but usually I find it to be flaky, on two different platforms. I make it my player of last resort only.

While I understand that many may not know what a Mac is or iTunes, I'm really skeptical that you know a lot of people that's never heard of an iPod, it would seem like one would have to be quite an isolationist.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Quote:

It's very functional in terms of what it will do, but usually I find it to be flaky, on two different platforms. I make it my player of last resort only.

Flaky in what respect? Certainly not stability, I've never seen VLC lock up or crash, and it's probably the only application for any platform that I can say that about.

What do you think is better?

Quote:

While I understand that many may not know what a Mac is or iTunes, I'm really skeptical that you know a lot of people that's never heard of an iPod, it would seem like one would have to be quite an isolationist.

Heard of one, sure. They read about them in the paper. But Plenty haven't actually seen and/or touched one (or have even a rudimentary understanding of what it does). Heck, I had somebody ask me a little while ago what the internet was. He'd read about it, but didn't understand what it was. Seriously.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    Quote:

Flaky in what respect? Certainly not stability, I've never seen VLC lock up or crash, and it's probably the only application for any platform that I can say that about.

What do you think is better?

For DVD playback, seemingly just about anything is better. Scrubbing the timeline sometimes gives it fits on the media formats that I tried. It throws errors on menus. Sometimes the timeline isn't even correct, where the "end" is actually at the 2/3 point on the bar.