iPhone SDK may block Firefox, Java, background apps

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DWS-2 View Post

The rest of us will jailbreak the thing and install whatever we want.

The voice of reason.
  • Reply 42 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

How many other phones run Java, Firefox and Skype?

Every hear of a small company called Nokia? I am running Fring (Skype) on my phone and it works as it should. Ever hear of Symbian Series 60, or UIQ? There is portable Firefox, and Opera for mobile phones.

Think before hitting the "Submit Reply" button.
  • Reply 43 of 82
    I never use firefox anyway.
  • Reply 44 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Peyo View Post

Well, maybe it's just me, but I do NOT want people chatting to me if I'm on the phone.

If I decide some phone call is more important than the ongoing chat, I would politely warn my chat contact and pick up the call. I can even set up an auto-polite-warning to do that if needed.

At that point the chat app can very well freeze, I don't see what the problem with that is.

On my computer, when the network link breaks up for some reason, sending a message results in a (pretty obvious) error. But when the link is established again, the conversation can resume without any problem.

So barring a few technical hickups with an iPhone chat client, which can be hammered out with time, this seems to me a non-issue.

There is a chat client right now for the iPhone. It runs in the foreground and halts if the phone rings or some other attention demand comes into play. The connection to the chat servers is cut and the user has to log in again once they want to chat again.
  • Reply 45 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

I never use firefox anyway.

Actually I use Safari, FF and in some rare cases Opera (when I need the site to think I am using MSIE). I see nothing wrong with a optimized port of FF for the iPhone if Mozilla wants to make it compatible. I do however think they will need to control the external calls, and scripting. As someone put here, the platform should be as secure as possible without worrying about viruses, and malware.
  • Reply 46 of 82
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    As I said in another thread, this "no interpreted code may be downloaded and used [...]" is a slippery slope. Any data (text, XML, etc.) you might download over the Internet is "interpreted code". Forget the scripting language in Excel ... the Excel data file itself is "interpreted code". Whatever lawyer wrote this has no clue how computers work. Basically, any program that determines its execution path from any external data would likely have to be forbidden.
  • Reply 47 of 82
    peyopeyo Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

There is a chat client right now for the iPhone. It runs in the foreground and halts if the phone rings or some other attention demand comes into play. The connection to the chat servers is cut and the user has to log in again once they want to chat again.

Could be.

But that's a technical issue RIGHT NOW. If enough people think they want something different, it probably will be fixed. If not, that will mean people have moved on. To other ways of communicating, to other messengers, to other phones, whatever gives them what they want. That is a rather normal evolution process.

My point was not technical. Technical issues get fixed, so ignore that. My point was: I don't see why I have to maintain a chat link when on the phone. I just don't.

Technical clue now: on my computer, that's not a problem for any of the messengers I use (I use many). No need to login again after a broken link.

I'm not worried. And I'm not in a hurry.
  • Reply 48 of 82
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    It isn't a perfect world.

Thought my parents were ogres. Today, my kids have taken the bite and I am now the culprit. Now I wish my parents were even more restrictive.

I vote for Apple on this. But then I do on most accounts. So far, my kids are in total agreement on this one as well. Go figure.
  • Reply 49 of 82
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Hm... I agree that Apple should be in control of what apps they're offering at their store. No question about it. But after some time it'll be kind of like how it is with the music industry. There will be filed suits because the iPhone can only run programs offered from Apple's app store. Any other software platform can run programs offered from multiple sources. Apple shouldn't offer apps at their app store that don't go with Apple's policies, but in the long run they should open up for apps being distributed from different sources, where Apple should compete with these other sources the way the iTunes store competes with other online music stores.

Imagine if macs only ran software distributed from Apple store... uh...
  • Reply 50 of 82
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

Actually I own the iPhone if I pay for it. Apple owns the development environment and software. If I want to run whatever I want on it and find a way to install it, Apple has jack to say about it.

Don't believe the hype.

I was surprised that it took you as long to dis Apple in one way or another.

However, I agree with you as I am sure Apple will too. Just that I agree that if they don't like what you did, you won't be getting any assistance from Apple to pass it on. And if you bypass the system, it will be disabled when one tries to update their iPhone.
  • Reply 51 of 82
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deanston View Post

I take all these passionate discussions a sign that many people don't really want to go back to Windows that still dominates ~90% desktop market, or Google who dominates nearly 60% of online search revenue, but rather move on to try this new iPhone thing. But focusing on the negative before the SDK product and program are even out of Beta I think is just premature.

It IS YOUR phone once you buy it. You CAN do WHATEVER you want on it. Does not mean Apple should teach you how or make it easy for you.

You can go buy a new car. You can then hot rod it, soup it up, swap in any auto part you want. The dealership and car maker have no say in it, but they are not obligated to help you or keep warrenty on something outside of their manufacturing design. But it is STILL your car.

After the rise of MS and Linux, most people treat every OS and S/W as easily separable components from H/W. Nobody remembers when a company packaged its own H/W+S/W like Atari, HP, and Sun used to do. Apple still believes their own S/W scheme is an intricate part of the overall design of the product. Have people read about CISCO and othe network companies plans to put smart network devices that has its own 'brains' or VM to manage OSs and control what goes on what hardware or through what data channel? Which FOSS lobby is protesting that?

Hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of iPhones have already been jailbroken. I expect even more creative store-breakouts for v.2.0. If you want to develop apart from using iPhone's native API, help yourself. Who knows? By this fall maybe anything is possible. A more creative entrepreneur may actually prefer Apple stay strict so he can set up a new business to help customized configuration and alternative phone plans. If there is a compelling case for Java for the enterprise, don't you think Apple will court after it by their recent overtures toward corporate customers? Limitations should make people more creative.

I don't have a Mac or an iPhone. BTW, between the monster size threads going around on these forum sites centered on the iPhone controversy, my IE7 has crashed. FF2 just freezes repeatedly. Opera can't even render Slashdot pages right. But Safari 3.0.4 on this XP is just flying and the graphics look sharp. I for one appreciate a quality product when I see it.

I'm not focusing on the negative per se. I'm actually trying to do what Apple is doing which is making sure before the platform even launches and becomes the next big standard that the seeds of potential big problems don't bite us in the butt way down the road.

Wait, lemme finish my oatmeal and read some more before I really do some comenting.
  • Reply 52 of 82
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:

Ah the Apple zealots appear. Anything and every thing that Apple says and does is a decree from on high, from he who must not be named. Never stare or match his gaze. You are looking upon the very face of Jobs.

A yes man does not really care about the person or organization he is trying to protect imo. If you truly a fan of apple then it would mean from time to time you have to question the decisions they make. But in manner not wanting to harm them of course.
  • Reply 53 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I was surprised that it took you as long to dis Apple in one way or another.

However, I agree with you as I am sure Apple will too. Just that I agree that if they don't like what you did, you won't be getting any assistance from Apple to pass it on. And if you bypass the system, it will be disabled when one tries to update their iPhone.

I never expected any assistance from them especially if I jailbreak my phone. I will simply restore it, send it in and take my chances. If Apple sees that it was jailbroken and wants to charge me for it, then that is part of the game.

As for me bashing Apple. I own an Apple TV, 4 iPods (or 5 if you count the iPhone), a MacBook Pro, and iMac, and a G4 Powerbook. So, you Apple bashing is typical of ANY that has the slightest disagreement with something Apple does. If Apple does good, I say so. If not, I say this as well. Considering I am paying my money for this and not getting any assistance from you regarding my purchases, I would say that it is non-of your buisness how I feel about Apple one way or another. We should be clear on this. What do you think?

Look up the word: Sheeple. This can be applied to many Apple Zealots
  • Reply 54 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

A yes man does not really care about the person or organization he is trying to protect imo. If you truly a fan of apple then it would mean from time to time you have to question the decisions they make. But in manner not wanting to harm them of course.

Spot on. Exactly. As a paying customer, I feel that I have the right to agree or disagree with what Apple does, and in the case of the iPhone, I feel that Apple could have done much better and presented a better product. I also believe that in many cases, Apple lied, mislead, misrepresented, on the part of the iPhone in part to cover or hide its ability to deliver a better product. Apple has been the "Think Different" company but now, and this is my opinion, Apple has become the" "Think like I tell you because we are right" company. I have the choice to either purchase or not purchase their products, but I choose to and with that comes a critique. As I have made clear on several occasions, I am please with every purchase I have made, even the iPhone for the most part. I recognize that it is more iPod than phone and am willing to live with this, but I can also make my opinion know and offer suggestions about how to make things better for at least me.
  • Reply 55 of 82
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    I don't care... it will all sort out. I figure it will not play well here, but I consider myself fortunate to be very comfortable NOT having to constantly chat, text, browse, game, or talk to other people through an electronic medium.

That said, how ironic (moronic?) that I posted the comment in an online community forum. Somebody kill me... please. I need sunshine and fresh mountain air.
  • Reply 56 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I already have problems with my iPhone draining the battery in less than 4 hour due to constantly trying to check the email using wifi without success. I have to turn off wifi and only turn on when I need it. The problem is that our university wifi requires log in using the web browser to be able to connect to the internet. As soon as I am in range, my iPhone auto connect to the wifi hotspot and try to check email but without success because it is not connected to the internet yet. So it keeps trying until I am out of range causing my battery to completely drain in few hours. I don't think you really want this happening to you,

Have you considered setting your iPhone not to check your mail every five minutes, or whatever you have it set to? Checking it manually isn't exactly a chore and at least your battery will last more than four hours.
  • Reply 57 of 82
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Apple often starts out by being restrictive, and then loosens up over time. I say that we wait a while.

Also,

jobs did say that VOIP would be allowed over WiFi, and I believe that he, or another Apple executive said that restrictions could loosen up over time, referring to VOIP over cell.

If they will allow VOIP apps, then others needing the same access would likely also be allowed. I don't see how they could allow VOIP and not allow the access it needs.
  • Reply 58 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Apple often starts out by being restrictive, and then loosens up over time. I say that we wait a while.

Also,

jobs did say that VOIP would be allowed over WiFi, and I believe that he, or another Apple executive said that restrictions could loosen up over time, referring to VOIP over cell.

If they will allow VOIP apps, then others needing the same access would likely also be allowed. I don't see how they could allow VOIP and not allow the access it needs.

Note: VoIP over wifi. Why is that? Simple, because the so-called smart decision to use EDGE precludes VoIP. I run SipPhone, TruPhone, Fring, iSkoot all on my Nokia which has

3G/HSDPA.
  • Reply 59 of 82
    LOL@anyone supporting this. I mean really.
  • Reply 60 of 82
    All of you not happy with these limitations, just leave. Apple is not grabing you by neck an forcing you to use their iphone/SDK.

Personally I prefer to wait until June to say anything else.