Running

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Yeaaaaa. Threads should auto lock after some amount of time.
  • Reply 22 of 58
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah View Post

That's funny.

I'm all better now.
  • Reply 23 of 58
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    I live by the ocean north of L.A. where smog isn't an issue. Its a runner's paradise... hard sandy beach at low tide, bluff trails, parks and mountains. For those who like to run on asphalt, there's lots of quiet roads and subdivisions. My favorite running routes are a variety of mountain trails on the front ridge which start just above sea level, ending up on the ridge top at between 3000 and 4000 ft altitude. There's the reward for all that toil and sweat, a wonderful view out over the ocean and on the clearest days with an offshore santa ana breeze, where the visibility is unlimited, all the channel islands can be seen .. but it can be hazardous.. gotta watch out for mountain lions (rare), rattlesnakes (occasional) and downhill bikers with bad attitudes (commonplace). One of the the things to remember in summer, especially when doing a long run when its hot, is to take plenty of water... you can't have too much. I stash water on the way up under a bush at a recognizable landmark... it lightens the load for going up the mountain, and its there waiting for you (in theory!) on the way down. I learned about not taking enough water from bitter experience as few years back.. I got dehydrated and felt really ill for 24 hours.

I had some great advice from a sports physiotherapist re. training shoes: don't ever buy discounted "last years" or "discontinued" lines, because the chances are they have been sitting on the shelf or in a warehouse for up to a year, by which time the shock absorbency of the soles has diminished to a fraction of what it was when the shoes came off the production line. That 75% discount on an expensive pair of running shoes looks too good too pass by ... but it's a false economy. Numerous runners get injuries from trainers that are past their best, either as new (or having been used for more than 500/600 or so miles).

If you are in mountain lion country and you happen to encounter one... Stop running. Make yourself appear as large as possible, move to higher ground than it (if possible) wave a tshirt around, make as much noise as you can, throw rocks at it, be as aggressive as possible. It will more than likely dash away. They don't like Mace etc. either! Whatever you do, don't try running away from it! If you encounter a bear...that's a real problem... its probably best to play possum and hope it'll ignore you..

And for the girls who run, I would always advise carrying pepperspray or similar. I haven't had any incident in 12 years since I started running, or occasion where I needed it, luckily. But its best to be prepared, just in case. Also, I always take my cellphone, whether I'm going for a 3 miler round the local park or a 15 mile slog on the mountain trails.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Reply 24 of 58
    I am a wrestler, and believe me I know running. I run like no other, to stay in shape, to lose weight, u name it. I've ran about 15 miles nonstop once. Here are some tips I'd like to share with you.

Push yourself, usually when people get tired they stop, but trust me, push yourself if you start breathign hard just keep going. Keep going until your getting a little burning uncomfortable feeling in your chest. That means your lungs are over working. Believe me though, the next time you run it will be easy.

Dress Comfortable, it sucks running in rain or win and you are cold or you are wearing something that just isn't comfortable to wear at all.

Increase gradually, start out with a mile, then go 2 miles then 3 miles. What i like to do, I don't count miles. I like to run to just to makers. For example, I run to a gas station, the next time I'll run to the gas station down the street, Then the gas station down the block.. etc.

Bring music, running is pretty boring in my opionion

Then right in a journal, use a journal to right down what you did how long it took etc

Hope these helped
  • Reply 25 of 58
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

3. Stretch alot - every muscle in your legs and back, both before and after you run. The place most people miss is the outside of the legs (called the IT band) - if it gets too tight you will have knee problems. Hold each stretch for 60 seconds with no bouncing, and ease into it over the minute.

Don't stretch before you're muscles have warmed up -- you are more likely to pull them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

If you are in mountain lion country and you happen to encounter one... Stop running. Make yourself appear as large as possible, move to higher ground than it (if possible) wave a tshirt around, make as much noise as you can, throw rocks at it, be as aggressive as possible. It will more than likely dash away. They don't like Mace etc. either! Whatever you do, don't try running away from it! If you encounter a bear...that's a real problem... its probably best to play possum and hope it'll ignore you..

And for the girls who run, I would always advise carrying pepperspray or similar. I haven't had any incident in 12 years since I started running, or occasion where I needed it, luckily. But its best to be prepared, just in case. Also, I always take my cellphone, whether I'm going for a 3 miler round the local park or a 15 mile slog on the mountain trails.

mher?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmz View Post

To hell with running, go blow $300-$400 on an entry level mountain bike.

That's the ticket!

Diets don't work. Exercise regiments don't work. The only solution to keeping in shape (or shedding a few pounds) is to make a permanent change in your routine. Buy a bike, sell your car, and bike to work every day. Everything else will fail (whether in six weeks, six months, or six years). And the real benefit to this course of action is that you can be self-righteous!
  • Reply 26 of 58
    Any of you all using mapmyrun.com? I've been running for several years now and this has been a great little site for me.

It works through Google Maps and lets you create routes and keep track of your distances traveled and calories burned. You can also search for routes that other people in your area have created. I'm sure it's not 100% accurate, but it's been a good motivational tool for me and also appeases my inner "computer nerd" instincts when I run.

Overall I find running to be a great stress reliever. I would much rather run a few miles outside than hang out at the gym on a treadmill. The fact that it's free (except for the occasional pair of shoes) is a nice feeling too.
  • Reply 27 of 58
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

mher?

what language is that? translation?
  • Reply 28 of 58
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    I started running on the trails above my house last summer. It's a 3 mile loop, and I'd run it about 3 times a week, working out on my bowflex on the other days.

Then, at the end of one run, I twisted my ankle and broke my foot.

I had on very comfortable running shoes at the time, though.
  • Reply 29 of 58
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Started running again.

Doing it not necessarily for fitness, but just to have energy during these 4-5 weeks of studying for finals. Caffeine and eating right just aren't enough to fight off the times I want to fall asleep instead of study. So I decided to incorporate running and doing some core body exercises into my routine. Starting off slowly: 3-4 times a week running at about 2.5-3 miles a shot. I can do it in about 30 minutes after no regular exercise for quite a long time. It's been years probably. But I'm not a slob. I weigh in the 140's at 5'7", so I certainly don't have a runner's body. But I'm pretty lean regardless so I figure after finals are over I'll be running a 5k in 22-24 minutes.

I've seen a definite improvement this weekend. I have more energy during the day. I bounce up and down and am quicker and more determined to do things than otherwise. I sleep better at night because my body is genuinely tired. I think I'll keep doing this for a while. We'll see.
  • Reply 30 of 58
    That's the thing! Regular exercise definitely increases your general energy level. In turn, that helps you to burn more calories during your regular routine, as you move more quickly and more often due to your higher energy level. It feels great!

As you can tell from my Nike+ iPod posts, I've just started running again. Unfortunately, I decied to push myself too hard on my first run (6km running uphill without stopping then 5km walk/run intervals for total of 11km), and while my lungs endured (I have a naturally high lung capacity and good breathing technique), my legs are still damn sore two full days later, especially in the groin area. but I can't wait until my muscles recover and I can try my goal of 8km in 45 minutes again. Second goal is the full 11km course in 45 minutes. I hope to be able to run the HK marathon, or at least a half, with a good amateur time, in February 2009.

I'm also looking forward to this spring and summer for swimming. I'll swim and run myself into great shape this year. I need to lose 15 lb. to be at my ideal weight (I'm 5'10" and 175lb and I'm used to being 165, but feel more fit when I'm 160, which I hit in 2005).

And I hate going to the gym!
  • Reply 31 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

Buy comfortable running shoes...and an iPod.

Don't go cheap on running shoes. I highly recommend the Nike Coach Bowerman series. When I used to run before my knees went to shit in the Navy, those were all I wore. NEVER GO CHEAP ON RUNNING SHOES.

Go to a running shoe store and have them fit you. There are many different types of shoes and runners. You need the right pair to make it enjoyable. NEVER GO CHEAP ON RUNNING SHOES. I can't stress this enough.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post

Don't go cheap on running shoes. I highly recommend the Nike Coach Bowerman series. When I used to run before my knees went to shit in the Navy, those were all I wore. NEVER GO CHEAP ON RUNNING SHOES.

Go to a running shoe store and have them fit you. There are many different types of shoes and runners. You need the right pair to make it enjoyable. NEVER GO CHEAP ON RUNNING SHOES. I can't stress this enough.

I really like super-light running shoes, with thin soles. Almost like track shoes adapted for the pavement. It's the 1.5" thick-soled giant "air" and "gel" and whatever huge (ugly) shoes that give me shin splints. Maybe it's because of my stride technique. Remember, all the world-champion Ethiopian marathon runners train in bare feet, so it's definitely possible to run (with proper technique) with thin soles and still avoid injury.
  • Reply 33 of 58
    Yeah, if you weight what an Ethiopian does. I am 6'2" and about 220 pounds. Thin soles are definitely not the way to go.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    Now what exactly is a "runner's high?"

Quote:

Another widely publicized effect of endorphin production is the so-called "runner's high", which is said to occur when strenuous exercise takes a person over a threshold that activates endorphin production. Endorphins are released during long, continuous workouts, when the level of intensity is between moderate and high, and breathing is difficult. This also corresponds with the time that muscles use up their stored glycogen. Workouts that are most likely to produce endorphins include running, swimming, cross-country skiing, long distance rowing, bicycling, weight lifting, aerobics, or playing a sport such as basketball, rugby, or American football.

My question is, is the "runner's high" an uninterrupted feeling of euphoria, is it more periodic, or does it vary from person to person? During the end of my last workout, I pushed myself pretty hard and just after inhaling it felt different from normal breathing. It was slightly euphoric. But then I would feel the pain again right after. So it only lasted a second or two at most over and over again.
  • Reply 35 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post

Yeah, if you weight what an Ethiopian does. I am 6'2" and about 220 pounds. Thin soles are definitely not the way to go.

Well I'm 5'10" and 175, so our fitness is probably pretty similar... I'm certainly heavier than most Ethiopian runners.

But yeah, that extra 45 lb. can probably be hell on the joints...
  • Reply 36 of 58
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I can attest to the cardio stuff working

I started just two weeks ago and after my first initial 2 mile run (took me freakin' 25 minutes) I've gotten stronger cardiovascularly and now I'm doing a bit over 2 miles in 20 minutes and not feeling so worn out.

Last Sat and did my run and then still did my legwork with the weights. Trust me I've felt that the last couple of days.

I'm going to quickly move to running 3 times a week and pretty soon I hope to be doing 3 miles in 25 minues. I'm getting a Nano and if Apple comes out with that rumored fitness program for a Touch I'm in there like swimwear.

Cardio is the way to lose weight and build cardiovascular strength. My weight training is just for the ladies
  • Reply 37 of 58
    I'm starting off very slowly.

At this point I'm not worrying about times or distance, just nonstop running for 30-40 minutes. The route I run is fairly flat with some long gradual downhills and uphills, and one small 1/2 mile hill. Nothing crazy like the cross-country running I used to do. I'm 3 runs in at every other day. Maybe in a week or two I'll start tracking my progress more closely. But for now, I'm just working on getting my heart and lungs used to this whole running thing again.
  • Reply 38 of 58
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

Don't stretch before you're muscles have warmed up -- you are more likely to pull them.

I disagree - if you are pulling muscles via stretching, then you are stretching too fast - you have to go slow and long in a stretch, easing in to it and holding it for a long time (~1-2 minutes). Failing to stretch before running will cause you problems for sure.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

I disagree - if you are pulling muscles via stretching, then you are stretching too fast - you have to go slow and long in a stretch, easing in to it and holding it for a long time (~1-2 minutes). Failing to stretch before running will cause you problems for sure.

On that point, where does everyone get cramps?

I get them exclusively in my shoulders.
  • Reply 40 of 58
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Remember, all the world-champion Ethiopian marathon runners train in bare feet, so it's definitely possible to run (with proper technique) with thin soles and still avoid injury.

Are you sure they do that anymore? If you don't have perfect feet, good shoes are a must. Even so, I haven't gotten shin splints since I finished growing, but I have hurt my knees ... mostly from running in thin-soled soccer boots.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

On that point, where does everyone get cramps? I get them exclusively in my shoulders.

Try moving your arms more in tune with your stride, and with the elbow closer to a 90 degree angle. Doing so will also help avoid abdominal cramping, which incidentally is the only place I cramp. I can especially prevent it by avoiding eating for several hours before running and by better synchronizing my breathing.