Suppliers hope Apple Newton pad boosts Flash orders

Comments

• Reply 81 of 106
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I went to Tapright, but other than the games DVD and software how to create your own stylus, i'm not quite sure what this is.

http://tapright.com/iPhone_Stylus.html

They also have this, but no actual photo of the device, just the drawing.

http://tapright.igiki.com/iPhone_Stylus_TapRight.html

As far as my search goes, this and the Pogo are the only ones that are out right now. I don't have an iPhone yet (waiting for the 3G), so I can't experiment, but something negatively charged (low voltage please!) should trigger the screen.

It seems that both the pogo and the tapright are brand new. So brand new that they aren't available yet. I think your catching these now on the eve of their availability. I would simply keep an eye on both.
  • Reply 82 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I wasn't trying to dismiss the importance of having lots of programs and lots of choices. I'm just saying that it will take time for the value of those programs to be realized outside of those of us hanging out on Apple message boards all day.

There will be some great apps come June, no doubt. But many of them will need some tweaking and polishing. Once they are available and people start using them, they'll get improved. It will be the wild west at first as people try all the different programs, figuring out which ones work the best. A few of them will float to the surface as best-of-the-best and will start to get broader attention for the touch platform, get in a few trade magazines, MacWorld, PCWorld, newspapers. Then you'll start to get the critical mass Apple looks for to release a new product. I don't think all that will happen soon enough to make the cut for holiday shopping. But by then, we'll all know what applications we'd install...IF ONLY Apple would make a larger size iPod touch!

Then come January, we'll all be eager to drink the Kool-Aid, Steve will unveil the new iDevice, and all will be right in the world again!

Well, that still doesn't mean he might not debut the device early anyway. Its not like applications or even an sdk was available at the iphone launch now was there?
  • Reply 83 of 106
    It was fun hanging out here with you guys today. You helped me get through a long boring day at work. Would you believe I had NOTHING else to do today? Oh well. Its almost 5 so I guess I will be on here tommorow continuing my search through the net for apple newton 2 news.

Peace.
  • Reply 84 of 106
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Something like this, but with Mac OS X inside and Intel Atom (Silverthorne) inside:

OQO model e2

http://www.oqo.com

EWWWWWW!!!!
  • Reply 85 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

EWWWWWW!!!!

That pic made me vomit a little. I hope Apple can do better. I'm still here at the office. Getting some overtime.......essentially doing nothing. The boss is back in town tommorow so I suppose I will pay for my laziness tommorow as well as he stresses me out.
  • Reply 86 of 106
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

I don't agree with your characterization of the importance of lots of programs. I believe that we'll see a good number by the time, or shortly after, the ver 2 upgrade comes out.

We don't need several dozen programs, we need hundreds, thousands. It doesn't even matter if a number aren't that good. I don't want one program of each type. I want to be able to choose from a dozen of each type. What's good for one person, isn't good for another, and sometimes it just takes one feature to make the program better for one person over the other.

These programs, for the most part, will, like their Palm, Windows Mobile, etc. versions, be pretty cheap. I don't mind buying one program, and when a better one comes along, buying that one too.

I know I'm not alone in this.

The problem is that I want quality, not quantity.

I really hope that Apple institutes a rating systems so that people who buy or download apps can provide feedback or caveats to others.
  • Reply 87 of 106
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

EWWWWWW!!!!

Yeah. That was a bit...I'm not really sure. Looks like something from the '90's. Very bulky.
  • Reply 88 of 106
    Quote:

I really hope that Apple institutes a rating systems so that people who buy or download apps can provide feedback or caveats to others.

We all want quality. But we don't want Apple to decide that, do we? I don't. The market will sort itself out.

I like the fact that I can choose amongst a number of similar programs for my Treo. I wouldn't want Apple to decide that this is the ONE.

Besides, I doubt if Apple has the resources to do that. It will be enough for them to decide about the problems they have already enumerated.
  • Reply 89 of 106
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I think it will be start off like Dashboard Widgets. Those are easy to search and it's not hard to find the right choice for your needs. Though, Widgets are lot less complex than these apps will be.

I suspect we'll have at least at elast hundred upon launch. There are plenty of Widgets that I'd want to have as Mobile OS X apps, and several that I'm willing to pay for, though I think Apple will create them in house and offer them for free as an incentive right off the bat to grow the platform.

I look forward to free political app for measuring a candidate's results as they come in or a free World Cup app that keeps track of the winners, perhaps with links to YouTube vids of worthwhile goals (yeah, I like soccer!). I can think of dozen of apps off the top of my head that I plan to get when they are ready. So many that 8GB is looking to be to small.
  • Reply 90 of 106
    tx65tx65 Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

The new Apple super-portable should run a full Mac OS X 10.5.2, being a pocket handheld device at the same time. With full quality video out, both wired and wirereless, for Keynote and PowerPoint preentations.

Just make the presentation on the Mac, move the native file to the super-portable, carry it on your pocket and use it as the ultimate presentation remote. We need thousands for our University.

The big question is where does Apple want this product to be placed

1. A large screen I-phone / I-pod touch or

2. A Touch screen full OS PC

As option 1, the price could only be incrementally more then the top end I-phone since I dont see people paying $1,000 for a large screen I-phone even with faster processing and greater memory. $599 would be the limit.

As option 2, to make a BANG in the market, Apple cant sell such a device for $1599 and sell millions of them,,, it would have to sell at a Mac Mini price point.
  • Reply 91 of 106
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

As much as I love my iPod Touch (and I owned a Newton 130 back in the day), I'm very skeptical. The Touch is great because it's the perfect size and weight for carrying in your pocket balanced against having enough screen real estate to actually browse the web. Too much bigger and you won't carry it everywhere, and any smaller and the screen becomes less useful. I couldn't see adding more than half-an-inch to maybe an inch in either width or height and having it have the same appeal.

And what's the use case for a multi-touch tablet? What large market segment would justify buying one? If Apple actually builds one, I think that's a signal to sell AAPL because Apple's run out of marketable ideas.

They're not going to build one. This dumb rumor is just another hardware fantasy that won't die.
  • Reply 92 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Davewrite View Post

I would buy a iTablet to (hopefully)

1) Watch Videos (maybe sync videos where ever you are).

2) Surf the net

3) Play games

4) Do arty things: draw, manipulate photos (e.g. arranging a photo album much easier on big screen).

5) Read books

Imagine being able to carry a magazine sized screen anywhere (to places like laptops are too cumbersome) e.g. watch videos, surf or read a book in bed. Games which are good on a iPod Touch will be even cooler on a big screen. Surfing will be easier on big screen as you can see more of whole page (bigger screen very important for older folks as well). I think it'll just be simply more convenient for many tasks except text entry than a laptop (I suspect voice recognition in the future will help with text). I can think of lots of other uses , if you're doing a technical thing like cooking or fixing plumbing you can have a digital recipe book or manual with you, much better than a laptop for those situations. Business and professionals like doctors, engineers will find a host of use for them.

But would you be willing to pay $1000 or more for the privilege? Didn't think so.
  • Reply 93 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TX65 View Post

As option 1, the price could only be incrementally more then the top end I-phone since I dont see people paying $1,000 for a large screen I-phone even with faster processing and greater memory. $599 would be the limit.

As option 2, to make a BANG in the market, Apple cant sell such a device for $1599 and sell millions of them,,, it would have to sell at a Mac Mini price point.

I'm not sure this is correct. If people will pay $400 for an iPhone/iPod Touch and $400 for an AsusEEE computer and $400 for a Kindle eBook reader, that's $1200 right there. Wouldn't it be worth a premium to have them all in the same device, all running OS X, and all integrated with each other? Steve Jobs took a lot of heat for the "Nobody reads any more" comment. I seriously expect eventually an announcement such as: "Because they didn't have this...." Personally, I read 90% of my waking hours, and would pay through the nose for something I could carry under my arm (The Armpit Computer??) that would allow me to carry a 100-foot pile of books and documents with me at all times.

Hell, since Apple is determined to render HDTV stillborn with their Crappy Dowload? "disks-are-dead" distribution model, if a device this size had a SDTV resolution of 640 x480, or maybe even 720 x 480 like DVD used to have, it could replace my TV, too.

I could live my entire life on such a device. With a bluetooth headset, it would be an iPhone and an iPod Touch, except with more capacity. It could probably do 80-90% of what a real laptop can do, slower undoubtedly. (Maybe its protective cover enfolds it like a book cover, and when completely removed, folds out flat into a Bluetooth keyboard? If not, what a third-party enhancement!) I could read HTML, PDF, and DjVu eBooks anywhere, and at least in a Wi-Fi hotspot, I could download music and videos and listen to and watch them anywhere. And if I were a gamer, I'd be slobbering all over it.
  • Reply 94 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TX65 View Post

I think pricing it at the Mini level would be crazy.

You have to assume that the price level is going to somewhat drive features.

You're basically saying it woul be just a little more expensive than the touch.

I want a lot more computer than the touch.

I'd set the price at about twice what the Touch costs, and then ram as much capability into as can fit.

That would make the phone sit in the middle as a handheld device and this device more expensive and also bigger and more powerful.
  • Reply 95 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

They're not going to build one. This dumb rumor is just another hardware fantasy that won't die.

Another quote that I'm going to add to my sig when Apple releases the ipad. Everytime I post people will know what you said and laugh. They will laugh at you just like that quote bout bill gates saying "who would ever need more than 640k of ram?".
  • Reply 96 of 106
    Well, right now, it is a fantasy. This is just a rumor, and we really don't have any idea if Apple has any interest in producing one, whether it be a small one, or a large one.
  • Reply 97 of 106
    Quote:

Well, right now, it is a fantasy. This is just a rumor, and we really don't have any idea if Apple has any interest in producing one, whether it be a small one, or a large one.

I'm unconvinced there is a sizable market for this kind of product. There's no evidence beyond the geek elite. Phones were a logical next step for Apple. AppleTV was a logical step, even though it's a crippled step at best.

What would a real logical next step be for Apple?... some have suggested automobile integration. Which only makes sense because Apple can evaluate what MS has done wrong and do it better.
  • Reply 98 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

The iPhone is the Newton.

There will be no tablet.

Stop with all the quotes! Don't you realize how crowded my sig is going to end up if I add yours and spam's?!
  • Reply 99 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'm unconvinced there is a sizable market for this kind of product. There's no evidence beyond the geek elite. Phones were a logical next step for Apple. AppleTV was a logical step, even though it's a crippled step at best.

What would a real logical next step be for Apple?... some have suggested automobile integration. Which only makes sense because Apple can evaluate what MS has done wrong and do it better.

I'm not so sure Apple will be producing one either.

I'm sort of like Ireland in this one. I want a small one, and he wants a big one (no innuendo's please!), but it's not likely that Apple will produce either. At least not soon.,
  • Reply 100 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

Is this going to run native OSX applications? Or will it run the small-screen optimized iPhone/Touch apps? Or is Apple going to come out with ANOTHER variant of OSX, and ANOTHER SDK, and require everyone to write totally new apps all over again?

Plus, who is going to use this thing? Anything bigger than the iPhone is too big to take with you, unless you are a dork. Maybe put it in your man purse? Might as well lug around a full-featured laptop since you're gonna have to put it in your backpack/briefcase anyways.

More than likely it will run off of apps from the iphone/ipod touch sdk. I say so because most likely this mystery project will NOT be in the form of a traditional tablet pc. Which means it won't be running native OSX apps.

As to the size....its probably not going to be that big. Or perhaps the screen has a little size to it and the engineers at Apple has come up with a solution to still make the device pocketable.

Foldable perhaps?