New Imacs Tues?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 124
    If only Apple didn't give the iMac the choice of one sucky card.

£1400 for a high end iMac and we get the Radeon Pro suck. Yeesh. The GT costs £130. I'd gladly pay that. Give me the choice and I get my Mac at last.

I'm at the point where I just need one.

Choice already.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 22 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobertoq View Post

yeah, a 30" would be nice

I decided to use a 30in Cinema Display today for a bit of PhotoShop CS3 work instead of my 20in Cinema Display - never again, it works great, best Hi-Res monitor there is, but my eyes can't handle it, my retina's are still burning and the migraines won't go away

I'll have to tell my boss that after laying out a good eleven-hundred quid on it I don't want it anymore, hehe
  • Reply 23 of 124
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

No, Apple will update the iMacs soon. The last time they were updated was August 7th. With the impending phasing out of the current chips they use by Intel, Apple is almost forced to do this update.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kingston View Post

I'd say iMac updates soon is a dead certain. Mainly because the current processors used by the iMac are Merom (correct spelling?) something that Intel clearly wants to phase out.

What is all this nonsense about Intel "phasing out" Merom? They are doing no such thing.

They even still make and sell the Pentium 4 and Pentium D (dual-core Pentium 4). Perhaps more pertinently, they still make and sell Yonah, Merom's predecessor.
  • Reply 24 of 124
    It's 1 am Tues morning in NY. The Apple store is down. Kinda strange. New Imacs? What do you think?
  • Reply 25 of 124
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stageron View Post

It's 1 am Tues morning in NY. The Apple store is down. Kinda strange. New Imacs? What do you think?

Most likely regular maintenance or just setting up for today's Tuesday Special.

I can't imagine that Apple would release a product this early in the morning.

Unless they think everyone's up anyway watching the Shuttle take off.
  • Reply 26 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Could be maintenance AND a Tuesday morning announcement.
  • Reply 27 of 124
    Quote:

Unless they think everyone's up anyway watching the Shuttle take off.

It could just be Steve toying with us. I can imagine him sitting there cackling to himself while we all salivate over the possibility of new hardware...

I'd like to think the mini will get bumped to penryn, have better graphics chips and wireless-n. A lot of people have said they want a slimmer design, but I'm not sure why as that would obviously mean sacrificing features - if anything I think the mini needs adding to, not taking away from.
  • Reply 28 of 124
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Come to think of it, since Penryns at the same pricepoint aren't much faster than Meroms, and they really only benefit power consumption and temperature, putting them in the iMac is not that relevant... Might as well take untill Intel drops prices on Penryn so they can put faster Penryns in the iMacs for them to update it...
  • Reply 29 of 124
    The store was offline for a number of hours. At least four.

It's hard to believe that nothing was announced.

Isn't this the first Tuesday of 2008 we haven't gotten anything?
  • Reply 30 of 124
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ActionJaxon View Post

I'll have to tell my boss that after laying out a good eleven-hundred quid on it I don't want it anymore, hehe

Hey, I can't believe no one offered to help you out. Never fear, I am here. I will take that 30" monitor off of your hands, no charge. I'll even talk to your boss for you--let him know that I am willing to help out in situations like this.
  • Reply 31 of 124
    Quote:

Isn't this the first Tuesday of 2008 we haven't gotten anything?

What did we get last Tuesday? Nothing as I recall.
  • Reply 32 of 124
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I can only buy it if it has one of these GPUs, which is unlikely. I'm not really excited about buying a giant tower to put in my small flat or cube, but duty calls.
  • Reply 33 of 124
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Actually not at all. The store that was down was the US one; if you are looking for updates through the store status, then look at the european ones.
  • Reply 34 of 124
    The new Nv 9600GT is a cooler running version of the 8800GT? Which in itself was running cooler than the 1st 8800 series leaf blowers. So...

I can't see how they can't give that an outing if the 7600 was in the last white iMac revision (in part due to the out cry over teh lousy card in the high end.)

A shame we didn't pulverise Apple over the lame 9600 Pro in the top end. 'Top'.

There's just no option to put anything else in there.

It's very frustrating.

The biggest limitation with the iMac is the lack of GPU choice.

...and when you're paying £1400 for a machine I expect that choice. We're not talking the whole gpu range.

But to have a choice of one or two would be nice.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 35 of 124
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

...and when you're paying £1400 for a machine I expect that choice. We're not talking the whole gpu range..

I actually think this is a very minor detractor to iMac sales.
  • Reply 36 of 124
    Quote:

...and when you're paying £1400 for a machine I expect that choice. We're not talking the whole gpu range..

Why? What exactly does the GPU limit you in?

If you are a crazy gamer, you should just go buy a game box instead of complaining about computers.
  • Reply 37 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

I actually think this is a very minor detractor to iMac sales.

Ditto. Not having access to replace the hard drive is a bigger concern.

On another front, it is taking Apple a really long time to burn off those refurb iMacs.

Either they have a lot more than usual, or the economy is tanking at an incredible rate.

Normally, Apple computers with a $400 discount would be snapped up within hours, not weeks.
  • Reply 38 of 124
    Quote:

Why?

I'm a potential Apple customer sez why.

Choice. Guess I'm used to a market where you can select more than one mere gpu? :I

er...especially when I'm paying £1400 for it. :I

You may not see it as a problem. So i guess you've bought one and are quite happy with it. If so. Good for you.

Next.

Awaiting the Penryn bump for the iMac. And it would be great if they keep the same lame Radeon Pro in it.

Because, as AppeL ZeAloTs we R used to teH RxXOr GpU Apple givez us...

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 39 of 124
    Quote:

Why? What exactly does the GPU limit you in?

If you are a crazy gamer,

Solitaire, of course.

and...

You're guessing.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 40 of 124
    Quote:

You may not see it as a problem. So i guess you've bought one and are quite happy with it.

I've been buying Macs since 1993.

The only time I've come close to caring about a display card had nothing to do with the GPU but with the need to run more than 1 monitor. So this required adding a second card. When the PowerMac G4 MDD and later towers, the default card runs 2 displays right now of the box.

Also in the past the choice of display card would be decided on the support for a TV tuner. Now that TV tuners are firewire or USB devices, this is also no longer necessary.

The default graphics runs anything I need. And also anything any of the friends that I support may need.

Now if only the Mac mini would run 2 displays as a standard feature, I would no longer need a tower.