Alt-Tab and Spaces

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi all,

right now Alt-Tab shows all applications on all virtual desktops which not only clutter the Alt-Tab list but also provokes unwanted switches between said virtual desktops and basically breaks with the premise to have different desktops for different tasks. Is it possible (maybe via command line) to alter the Alt-Tab behaviour so that it shows only the applications on the active virtual desktop? That is one of the things I miss mostly from the GNOME/KDE implementations.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mattsmatts Posts: 37member
    Hi,

I presume you're referring to Spaces, which really doesn't offer you virtual desktops, only spaces. Sorry.

As there are no virtual desktops, the Desktop (with all it's files and folders and the current desktop image) actually is the same in all spaces.

And that's also why you see all running applications when you press Command-Tab (not Alt-Tab).

But, I understand what you're saying.

-matts
  • Reply 2 of 6
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member
    Bummer, but thanks for the answer.

I was lead to believe by the Leopard commercials that Spaces would be a true virtual desktop implementation but it seems my impression was wrong. Hopefully Apple will consider adding this functionality with one of the future updates for 10.5 because right now Spaces is more or less useless for me.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I gave up trying too. Like you said, it's pretty much impossible to use Spaces to group tasks and projects into their own spaces because it fights you every step of the way if you try to have several different apps anywhere but the first space. So, maybe it is an alternate app switcher of sorts, but just using Expose and cmd-tab is faster and more efficient. I have no idea who Spaces in its current form is intended for. I suspect they realized halfway in that they can't make it play nice with other current UI assumptions without making it retarded, and then for some incomprehensible reason chose to include it in Leopard anyway.

There is this hint to disable the switching:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...08021122525348

but it makes things even worse. New windows will still spawn to some Space but now you won't even be taken there. Also, this option is bugged and windows will start to occasionally disappear on app switch until you exit and re-enter the current space.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    My only issue with Spaces is when I'm running Photoshop CS 2 or Dreamweaver 8 - If I tab to it using Cmd+Tab, the floating palettes will shift to my active Space, i.e.: I'm in Space 1, and Photoshop (with out any projects open) is in Space 4. If I Cmd+Tab to Photoshop, it'll move the palettes into Space 1

That's the biggest problem I've had with Spaces.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelation03 View Post

My only issue with Spaces is when I'm running Photoshop CS 2 or Dreamweaver 8 - If I tab to it using Cmd+Tab, the floating palettes will shift to my active Space, i.e.: I'm in Space 1, and Photoshop (with out any projects open) is in Space 4. If I Cmd+Tab to Photoshop, it'll move the palettes into Space 1

That's the biggest problem I've had with Spaces.

Well you might want to upgrade to CS3, I dont have that problem when using spaces with my CS3 applications. I do admit at this point spaces are kind of pointless, but the problem you are having is probably because CS2 is running under Rosetta, or something?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erunno View Post

Hi all,

right now Alt-Tab shows all applications on all virtual desktops which not only clutter the Alt-Tab list but also provokes unwanted switches between said virtual desktops and basically breaks with the premise to have different desktops for different tasks. Is it possible (maybe via command line) to alter the Alt-Tab behaviour so that it shows only the applications on the active virtual desktop? That is one of the things I miss mostly from the GNOME/KDE implementations.

This is when you use Exposé, done.