Epocrates answers call of iPhone-wielding healthcare professionals

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pachomius View Post

Here in Shanghai I've been absolutely amazed at how many iPhones I've seen people using. I believe the 400,000 iPhones that CMCC reported are iPhones that they've actually detected on the network. I'm not sure how they detect that, except for maybe somebody is using a particular line of phone numbers for them.

As someone who has lived and worked in Asia for the last 6 years there are two observations I would like to make:

1 - in South Korea, about three years back, a company (whose name I forget) made a mint by selling some cheap (only about $100), feature-less phone. Not everyone loves all the functions. At the time of the release of that phone, i saw people with it EVERYWHERE- even businessmen, which confused me.

2- People don't care quite so much about specific functions as long as the product is the newest, coolest thing on the market - iPhone meets that. The fact that it is not officially sold here makes it an even more desirable product.

Every time I go to the electronics markets here, I see boxes and boxes of iPhones for sale on the shelves of the independent shops (not AAR's). AND - I always see one or two people buying one - this despite the fact that people know they can't use all the functions on it.

It is true though that phones sold in Asia are lightyears ahead of the US. Three years back Samsung started selling phones on which you could watch TV - very useful for people who spend hours every day on the subway or bus- every time I was on the subway, I could see people watching TV :-) I think it included cable stations too, but I'm not sure.

Anyway - this Epocrates feature is awesome and beyond useful!

Thanks for that insightful impute on over seas market on the cellular industry, I been try to draw attention to this fact that as awesome as I believe the iPhone to be, I believe it's a trickle down version of the big picture of what it really is. Steve Jobs am sure the best impute money can buy on what to include on the iPhone. So to make more money Apple realize a water down version for the first generation, so to keep adding more to it as the years go by. Yeah it marketing and growth. But It's sicking to see the bloggers in here get so excited about silly OLD technology. Come on we all know that the iPhone will have that dam GPS, Flash Cameraphone, video, 5 or more MP & voice dialing soon and much more. Then we can get excited, still behind the rest of the world, but happy. Dam I been wanting this iPhone since it was just a rumor way back when in 2001. I was telling the entire world about this iPhone. How I was gonna get it. I am glad I am not an in pause buyer, I'm a person that waits to see how it goes for about a year or two. Then make or not make a purchase. If I don't, it isn't then end of the world. I can still call my love ones to say hello. So I didn't but the iPhone because the one feature that was really disturbing was the battery issue. I had a cell phone consecutively since 1988. I always had an extra battery and am fully competent to change my own battery. So for me to hand over an iPhone to an $7.50 an hour Apple person for a sample task as that, with all my personal information is a BIG NO WAY JOSE! With today identity theft problem increasing each year. No thanks! Either I'll wait one more year for that version, or I'll move on to something else and live with it. I want what I want! and that is to keep my life with my cell simple. Me handing over my cell is not simple, then pay for a loaner is laughable...

laughable yesterday, laughable today, laughable tomorrow. I'm what the market consider a type (A) consumer that wants what he want and how he wants it. Not the (Monkey) consumer, monkey see monkey do consumer. Which the market favorites. Hence waiting on line for weeks for the iPhone...
  • Reply 22 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pachomius View Post

Here in Shanghai I've been absolutely amazed at how many iPhones I've seen people using. I believe the 400,000 iPhones that CMCC reported are iPhones that they've actually detected on the network. I'm not sure how they detect that, except for maybe somebody is using a particular line of phone numbers for them.

As someone who has lived and worked in Asia for the last 6 years there are two observations I would like to make:

1 - in South Korea, about three years back, a company (whose name I forget) made a mint by selling some cheap (only about $100), feature-less phone. Not everyone loves all the functions. At the time of the release of that phone, i saw people with it EVERYWHERE- even businessmen, which confused me.

2- People don't care quite so much about specific functions as long as the product is the newest, coolest thing on the market - iPhone meets that. The fact that it is not officially sold here makes it an even more desirable product.

Every time I go to the electronics markets here, I see boxes and boxes of iPhones for sale on the shelves of the independent shops (not AAR's). AND - I always see one or two people buying one - this despite the fact that people know they can't use all the functions on it.

It is true though that phones sold in Asia are lightyears ahead of the US. Three years back Samsung started selling phones on which you could watch TV - very useful for people who spend hours every day on the subway or bus- every time I was on the subway, I could see people watching TV :-) I think it included cable stations too, but I'm not sure.

Anyway - this Epocrates feature is awesome and beyond useful!

Yes that Epocrates feature is going to be awesome and beyond useful! I am sure that APPs that will be rolling out are gonna be first class...
  • Reply 23 of 25
    toyintoyin Posts: 58member
    This announcement has just made my week!! Most of the applications I use on my Treo are generic and I expect replacements to come fast and furiously. I worried about Epocrates and expected them to drag their feet. I am pleasantly surprised. I dropped their subscription model earlier this year and informed them that I would re-subscribe after an iPhone native application was available, guess I won't have to wait long. Whoo-hoo good bye Palm, in 3 months I will truly be down to one portable device.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    benbrobenbro Posts: 2member
    UpToDate as ever at the cutting edge of technology. Great resource but the tech side is pretty feeble IMHO.

"Dear Dr

Thank you for contacting UpToDate. The possibility of an Iphone version has been discussed, but at the current time there are no plans to make an Iphone compatible version. Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions. Yours...."

Thankfully their medical knowledge is more uptodate than their technological vision.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phoenixpr View Post

So for me to hand over an iPhone to an $7.50 an hour Apple person for a sample task as that, with all my personal information is a BIG NO WAY JOSE!

If this is your main concern, it's easily solvable with today's iPhone. iTunes stores a complete backup of your iPhone and you can safely delete all of your information on the phone before sending it somewhere and then just resync it when it returns.