MacBook Air software update targets ongoing freezing issues

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

All I've been trying to do here is get you to realise that the MacBook Air is neither slow nor over-priced when you compare it to the competition.

Dude- you've been drinking too much tea.

First- this is an American website so the correct spelling is realize not realise.

Second - you are flat out wrong. The direct quote from MacWorld's current issue "Cons Slow processor; slow and small hard drive" - in other words -IT'S SLOW!!!!!! END OF STORY!
  • Reply 42 of 58
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Dude- you've been drinking to much tea.

I don't drink tea.

Quote:

First- this is an American website so the correct spelling is realize not realise.

The location of the website or its servers are irrelevant. If you are British the correct spelling is "realise"; as I am British that is the spelling that I use.

Quote:

IT'S SLOW!!!!!! END OF STORY!

No need to shout. And it's not "end of story". The MacWorld article conclusion gives no qualification to the statement "slow processor". Yes, the Air's processor is slow relative to Apple's other laptops, no it's not slow relative to the competition.

Look, I'll say it five times in a row for you to try and get it through your thick head:

The Air's processor is not slow in comparison to other 3 lb laptops. In fact, it's fast.

The Air's processor is not slow in comparison to other 3 lb laptops. In fact, it's fast.

• Reply 43 of 58
    Quote:

I don't drink tea.

Look, I'll say it five times in a row for you to try and get it through your thick head:

he Air's processor is not slow in comparison to other 3 lb laptops. In fact, it's fast.

My head is not thick however other body parts may be.

You don'thave to be a professesor at Oxford to read and comprehend:

from Macworld 6 times for you:

1.)"Cons Slow processor; slow and small hard drive"

2.)"Cons Slow processor; slow and small hard drive"

3.)"Cons Slow processor; slow and small hard drive"

4.)"Cons Slow processor; slow and small hard drive"

5.)"Cons Slow processor; slow and small hard drive"

6.)"Cons Slow processor; slow and small hard drive"
  • Reply 44 of 58
    Quote:

I don't drink tea.

Then you must smoke it.

The location of the website or its servers are irrelevant. If you are British the correct spelling is "realise"; as I am British that is the spelling that I use.

So then I should refer to you as an arse?

No need to shout.

Yes there is a need. You are obviously hard of hearing (you don't listen)

And it's not "end of story". The MacWorld article conclusion gives no qualification to the statement "slow processor".

Slow means slow- like your brain.

see above
  • Reply 45 of 58
    Quote:

1.)"Cons Slow processor; slow and small hard drive

Good grief.

Go look at other 3 lb laptops and compare their processor speed with that of the Air's.

The Air's processor is not slow in comparison to other 3 lb laptops.

Quote:

My head is not thick

You're doing a remarkably good job of proving otherwise.
  • Reply 46 of 58
    Quote:

Good grief.

Go look at other 3 lb laptops and compare their processor speed with that of the Air's.

The Air's processor is not slow in comparison to other 3 lb laptops.

You're doing a remarkably good job of proving otherwise.

Write to Macworld then and ask them why they omit that what you keep reiterating. Who cares what it's slow in comparison to if it's still SLOW?

And talk about shouting - you're screaming!!!!!!
  • Reply 47 of 58
    Quote:

Who cares what it's slow in comparison to if it's still SLOW?

Because otherwise you're comparing Apples with Oranges?

Fuck, you can't really be this stupid, can you?

"Slow", "Fast" etc. are relative terms. The Air is unimaginably fast relative to an Apple ][, but it'll look ridiculously slow relative to the iPhone of 2030. "Slow" and "Fast" don't mean anything until you put them into context. And when you put the Air in the context of its peers, it is fast.

Quote:

Yeah, you successfully goaded me into it by repeatedly ignoring the key point I am making. Congratulations.
  • Reply 48 of 58
    Quote:

You are obviously hard of hearing (you don't listen)

Not at all.

Here you go:

I acknowledge that MacWorld said that the MacBook Air has "a slow processor" and "a slow hard drive". I also say to you, again, that that statement was made without qualification and when you compare the Air's processor speed with other 3 lb laptops, you discover that whilst the Air's processor is slow in comparison to Apple's other laptops, it is fast in comparison to other 3 lb laptops.
  • Reply 49 of 58
    Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ! It's obviously costing this troll dearly that there's a product on the market that he doesn't want to buy. I personally don't like asparagus. I'm going to go picket the grocery store and make everybody's life a living hell telling them what a gyp asparagus is! Maybe they'll give me money to go away. There's an idea! we could take up a collection to pay him the $1799 it's costing him not to buy the MacBook Air!

I won't be contributing, though; I thought I had discovered a site that was devoted to a little less mindless Apple-bashing than MacWorld; now here's some rabid troll quoting MacWorld reviews and slobbering venom all over every thread, just because Apple has brought out a product that doesn't click with him! If I were moderating this forum, I would have banned him after the 700th MacBook Air tirade, but instead, I'm banning myself! Have fun!
  • Reply 50 of 58
    Interestingly, you said that some people will find something awful useful. By extension, you also have to mean that some people will find something great useless.
  • Reply 51 of 58
    Quote:

My head is not thick however other body parts may be.

You don'thave to be a professesor at Oxford to read and comprehend:

from Macworld 6 times for you:

1.)"Cons Slow processor; slow and small hard drive"

2.)"Cons Slow processor; slow and small hard drive"

3.)"Cons Slow processor; slow and small hard drive"

4.)"Cons Slow processor; slow and small hard drive"

5.)"Cons Slow processor; slow and small hard drive"

6.)"Cons Slow processor; slow and small hard drive"

If you are buying your products based on specification rather than how they accommodate what you actually plan to do with them, I feel bad for you. It would be an indication that you have probably made some really stupid buying decisions over the years.
  • Reply 52 of 58
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Write to Macworld then and ask them why they omit that what you keep reiterating. Who cares what it's slow in comparison to if it's still SLOW?

The Macbook Air is an ultraportable, not a full featured notebook like the Macbook. It is a tool for business travelers. The type of users who are going to be buying it will be using office apps and reading email, not running photoshop. If my 5 year old 900mhz G3 iBook with a 40GB hard drive is still capable of doing those kind of things, I think a 1.6ghz C2D would be more than enough.
  • Reply 53 of 58
    Too many people only look at specs. If everyone did, then Apple would only sell one product: the Cray XT5. There are many factors other than raw power at play when deciding to buy a computer.

Many creative types who work in audio and video have used notebooks with 80GB and CPUs far inferior to the 1.6GHz C2Ds for years and had successful careers. They tend to have more power at the office, but the notebooks have served them well in the field.

There are also some very profitable jobs that do not require super computing power. Many authors (Tom Clancy comes to mind) have made fortunes using what some would consider horribly under-powered and over-priced toys like the MacPlus, which the MBA can run circles around in lower power mode.

Once again I will say that it would be really interesting two years from now to survey the MBA purchasers and discover what the did with their computers. I think a lot of the bashers would be rather stunned at what pros do with a so-called "slow over priced piece of (really high-level language deleted here)".

BTW, if you wish to argue about language, people don't loose arguments, they lose them, and there are many people of many nationalities represented on these boards (which have no requirement for usage of American English or not) so they can spell things anyway they please as long as it is understandable. Some of the non-native posters have a better grasp of the English language than many native speakers I know. Funny thing is, they often apologize for their short-comings, something the native speakers rarely do. There are, however, certain rules and conventions and such regarding the use of words that are not necessarily part of a Sunday School teacher's diction.

Anyway, I have spent enough time here... off to make more money with my MBA.
  • Reply 54 of 58
    murphywebmurphyweb Posts: 295member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flinstone View Post

New MacPro's don't wake from sleep.

Graphic glitches in the MacPro ATI 2600 card

Freezes in the same card models.

MacPro nVidia 8800GT slower than ATI 2600 in pro apps

MacBookPro sleep issues.

MacBook flickering display

MacBook trackpad delay

MacBookAir Freezing

iMac 24" (white) displays breaking down (mostly just over the standard one year warranty period)

iMac 20" (alu) condense forming behind the glass cover of the display.

Fifteen years ago you know that your Mac was going to last longer than that was necessary, now a day's you are lucky if you can keep it running for three years! And o o o if you didn't buy AppleCare.

It is a really BIG SHAME. This is going to hurt Apple significantly in the nearby future.

You forgot the much publicised problems with the magsafe power cables burning up and the too much publicised a very widespread issues with the MBP lid getting warped and bent out of shame resulting in it not shutting properly.

How about the Airport Express that just stops working? How many people here have bought one of them? Most I think.

When will the apple fans wake up and smell the coffee? All Apple care about it looking cool and sexy and do not give a crap anymore about real world functionality. This is becoming so very very obvious to anyone with half an open mind.
  • Reply 55 of 58
    I tend to agree: Apple's quality has slipped substantially over the past few years. Many of my recent purchases have had problems with hardware; some were fixed, some remain unfixed (iPod nano with a tilted screen). They better fix this MBA thing asap or it will hit them rather hard; lots of pros and switchers are buying the MBA and they won't give Apple many chances to screw up.

Apple's designs tend to be excellent (the MBA is the best notebook I have ever used), although not perfect and they indeed are trying to stretch boundaries. However, the quality control at the factory is highly unsatisfactory, as is Apple's way of dealing with it (I sincerely believe that if Steve wanted better quality products he would get it). It is a shame to see Apple's incredible creative genius suffer at the hands of their substandard manufacturing and support divisions.

Just recently, I spoke with two Apple representatives about the problem and am currently working on a letter to Steve himself after my MBA had to to be replaced after just three weeks. I requested that Apple thoroughly test and certify the replacement before I will take delivery of it (it is still in Tokyo or wherever getting tested... maybe the stuttering issue is holding it up); I said I hope to remain a customer, but that I intend to be a satisfied customer and I will demand that may machines "just work" as they are advertised. An Apple customer for over 20 years, it pains me to have to demand that they live up to their advertisements. I am going to try supportive engagement (must be my teacher mentality showing through; years of striving to get school kids to perform at their best).

LL Bean is a well-known US store that has a 100% guarantee on their products for the life of the product, and that includes electronic devices they sell from a variety of makers. Several other stores have similar guarantees; they have my patronage because of it. If Apple really wishes to be the top computer maker, they should follow suit and give a full life-time warranty on their machines without the need for the ridiculously expensive Apple Care (I got 60% longer coverage for 50% less through my local shop) that, at least here in Japan, knows less about Apple products than my mother-in-law who has never used a computer in her life. People will pay more for higher quality.
  • Reply 56 of 58
    Quote:

you discover that whilst the Air's processor is slow in comparison to Apple's other laptops, it is fast in comparison to other 3 lb laptops.

Let's look:

Toshiba Portégé R500-126, 1.33 GHz, 2 GB, 64 GB SSD: £1499 + VAT

Lenovo X300, 1.2 GHz, 2 GB, 64 GB SSD: £1820 + VAT

VAIO TZ, 1.33, 2 GB, 64 GB SSD: £1786 + VAT

Apple MacBook Air, 1.8 GHz, 2 GB, 64 GB SSD: £1726 + VAT

Toshiba Portégé R400-106 1.2 GHz, 2 GB, 80 GB HDD (4200 RPM): £1099 + VAT

Lenovo X300 with HDD isn't out yet.

VAIO TZ, 1.06 GHz, 2 GB, 100 GB HDD, (4200 RPM): £1361 + VAT

Apple MacBook Air, 1.6 GHz, 2 GB, 80 GB HDD (4200 RPM): £1020 + VAT

All the prices and specs are from the manufacturers web sites.

Right. So. MBA has the fastest CPU, and the same RPM HDD as the competition (although for a given spindle speed, smaller is better 1.8" has shorter seek distances than 2.5" - so should give slightly higher IOPS for random workloads). I'm with Mr H - it's faster than comparable laptops.

And, at the same time:

Apple MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB HDD (7200 RPM): £1590 + VAT

Which will be quicker all round, but is a completely different sort of beast. It's slow compared to this, like Mac World said.

Cheers,

Martin.
  • Reply 57 of 58
    I have a MacBook Air. I like it a lot. I've been buying and using Macs since 1991 and I think this is the best one I've ever had.

I don't understand why so many people are ready to trash a product they haven't even used. Ask the people who own them - not just the ones who have a problem and are frustrated because something doesn't work, but also those who have no complaints - true Apple insiders. Let's read some useful information rather than a load of biased invective.
  • Reply 58 of 58
    datamodeldatamodel Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yusoshi View Post

I have a MacBook Air. I like it a lot. I've been buying and using Macs since 1991 and I think this is the best one I've ever had.

I don't understand why so many people are ready to trash a product they haven't even used. Ask the people who own them - not just the ones who have a problem and are frustrated because something doesn't work, but also those who have no complaints - true Apple insiders. Let's read some useful information rather than a load of biased invective.

Tends to be the unhappy, frustrated ones that post a lot though, so they get over-represented on fora. Personally I love the look of the Air, the household has seven trouble-free Macs, so our Air is arriving in 10 days...

Cheers,

Martin.