Products from when I was younger hard to find now

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Heh. They're still around, too.

If you thought that their high-waisted pants were bad, you haven't seen the insanely high-waisted jeans that a lot of the fashion brands tried to market last-year.

I nearly laughed myself unconscious when the reps at the trade-shows were showing them to me.

http://blogs.smarter.com/fashion/200...et-used-to-it/

The photos in that article are only 1/2 the story ... check out this pair from Cheap Monday:

http://www.thefashionpolice.net/2006...f_fashi_2.html

Yeah.

Blech. Those jeans look awful.
  • Reply 42 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissKitty View Post

I'm not exactly old yet, but I remember I used to be able to buy a certain kind of gum that I can't find anymore:

The flavor only lasted for a minute and a half, but darn, it was good.

Hey, even I remember that!
  • Reply 43 of 68
    Anyone remember Rondo!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P1hNs94tG0

I just made the mental connection that this was the product Mike Judge based "Brawndo: The Thirst Mutilator" on for his movie, "Idiocracy"....
  • Reply 44 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I had this game. No one died.

Ah, those were the days. No one cared about child safety back then.
  • Reply 45 of 68
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
  • Reply 46 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmz View Post

This is a childhood memory for you? Don't tell me, you're... 19?
  • Reply 47 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This is a childhood memory for you? Don't tell me, you're... 19?

Hell no, that game came out in 1984!
  • Reply 48 of 68
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottiB View Post

I remember these. My folders and lunch box in elementary school were covered in those stickers.

About a year ago I was in a kitcshy store in Brooklyn that had those. I had to buy a bunch.
  • Reply 49 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trick fall View Post

About a year ago I was in a kitcshy store in Brooklyn that had those. I had to buy a bunch.

Yes, but was the gum still good?
  • Reply 50 of 68
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Hope this image isn't too large:

The game (javelin darts) happens to be banned now.

I think every family on my street had these. At neighbourhood picnics there were easily half a dozen sets flying around.

How did we all survive to adulthood?
  • Reply 51 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I think every family on my street had these. At neighbourhood picnics there were easily half a dozen sets flying around.

How did we all survive to adulthood?

Hee hee -- you guys ever have a BB Gun fight?
  • Reply 52 of 68
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

.....unfortunately, I am the poster child for kids raised with the safety concerns (lack of) for my generation. Lost a tooth to a BB gun fight. Jackass brother poured 3 pellets down the barrel and pumped it like crazy. One in the tooth, one in the lip and one in the cheek about an inch from my eye. We were trouble making twins and I am constantly surprised we survived our childhood.
  • Reply 53 of 68
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Gun...gun...wouldn't that imply only having a singular weapon in your possession?

It isn't really fun unless it is a BB Rifle, BB pistol and slingshot fight....oh and assorted fruit from the various trees out in the back lots.

We had loads of BB gun fights. I had a tree house with tin siding and my brother had a club house with tin siding we both had built. The purpose of course was to shoot at each other. The only thing more stupid than shooting at each other with BB's is to shoot each other out of trees and off rooftops with BB guns.

I sort of realized this wasn't normal when explaining how my sister broke her arm.

"Well my brother feinted at her like he was going to get her so she just jumped off the roof of the house."

War isn't any fun unless you have the high ground.
  • Reply 54 of 68
    Quote:

Hope this image isn't too large:

The game (javelin darts) happens to be banned now.

I have a set of Jarts in the basement, in the box in great condition. We found them when cleaning out the storage room after we purchased the house.

OMG the bb guns, there was so many of them in my neighborhood. Fortunately I dont think anyone ever got seriously hurt. I was a terror in the battles with my wrist rocket and bb's or the .50 caliber steel shot. The 50 cal would raise welts so big they'd have to have a doctor look at it.

I never aimed to hit the face, but i did aim at the face from a distance to account for the fall of the rounds. I was a very considerate, and compassionate assassin.
  • Reply 55 of 68
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I never had a bb gun fight, but we used to have fireworks wars. We would shoot bottle rockets and roman candles at eachother and sneak up on people and throw jumping jacks and firecrackers on them.
  • Reply 56 of 68
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

What ever happened to original Trident gum?

I chew it all the time. I've never had a problem finding it anywhere in the US. \
  • Reply 57 of 68
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by giant View Post

I chew it all the time. I've never had a problem finding it anywhere in the US. \

Where do you buy it? What retailer?

I can't find it anywhere in the Dallas / Fort Worth metro area

Fellows
  • Reply 58 of 68
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    It's always bothered me that "trident" means "three teeth."
  • Reply 59 of 68
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    I forgot about slingshot fights! That was awesome. A local convenience store made the mistake of selling them for a about three days. My lord...every street light in the fucking town was out within 48 hours. The best part is my driveway wasn't paved..it was that perfect sized large gravel!

PS: Don't shoot at cars with a slingshot and then hide. The people that come to your front door to talk to you Mom are NOT happy campers.
  • Reply 60 of 68
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    When I was younger, every living room had one of these on the table. I'm sure they are still available, but you just never see them like you use to.