Question about MacBook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am considering purchasing a MacBook but need to know what software to get for typing up papers. I would use this laptop for school work and web browsing. I have heard Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac - Home and Student Edition is not very good and buggy. Is there a different version that is better or what should I get cause my classes use Microsoft word for papers. Thx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    There is MS Office 2004, if you can find it. I did see it at an Office Depot recently. i have Office 2004 but really only use it for Excel. I open docs with word that are sent to me in that format but I haven't composed a document in Word in some time.

Can you submit your work as a PDF file? If so that will open up a whole wide world of apps you can use. Mellel, Nisus Pro, Pages. All have their strengths and weaknesses. I've heard many like Mellel for such work but personally I've never used it. P'm sure someone here has and can comment on it.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    If you can get a deal on Office 2008, go for it. Some schools offer it for $20 or less. I haven't heard any bugginess issues, but who knows?

Other alternatives are to use Apple's Pages, which is a part of the iWork Suite or to use TextExit. TextEdit can save and open .doc files, btw.

I say go for Office. People tell me the iPhone is buggy and crashes...but I have yet to see it.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    iWork '08 is all you need. Pages is a very nice word processor, and is great for page layouts. You also get Numbers and Keynote; all for $79.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Galley pretty much said it, iWork is much much more simpler than MS OFfice, just remember if you do go with iWork to export your papers into .doc - I didn't one time, holy cow that costed me big time
  • Reply 5 of 11
    skivesskives Posts: 50member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TravisReynolds View Post

Galley pretty much said it, iWork is much much more simpler than MS OFfice, just remember if you do go with iWork to export your papers into .doc - I didn't one time, holy cow that costed me big time

How do you export your papers into .doc and does that allow them to view them using Microsoft word?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    NeoOffice is free.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I just recently bought a macbook and installed MSOffice 08. I have been using word and excel without any problems. I transfer my files to my flash drive and then work on them on a windows pc also. Who told you MS Office 08 is buggy? Some people just like to talk

Also your question is about software... shouldn't this be moved to that forum? Or did you have a question about the macbook?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    instead of just saving it, just go to file then export. It will ask how do you want to export and you just choose .doc

and yea it can be viewed in Microsoft Word
  • Reply 9 of 11
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robi0024 View Post

Who told you MS Office 08 is buggy? Some people just like to talk

Yes, but in this case it is not just talk. I cannot say anything from my part since I dont' have it, but people out there tried Excel 08 and have huge performance issues.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skives View Post

How do you export your papers into .doc and does that allow them to view them using Microsoft word?

Pages can export as PDF, Word, RTF and Plain Text.

Numbers can export as PDF, Excel and CSV.

Keynote can export as a QuickTime movie, PowerPoint, PDF, JPG, Flash, HTML and iPod. Each of them has numerous options. For instance, the .mov option will allow you to play the movie on any PC, but it will still pause between slides and transitions.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    xdanielxdaniel Posts: 29member
    I have both iWork 08 (Pages [word processor and page layout], Numbers [spreadsheet], and Keynote [presentation]) and MS Office 2008. Being a university student, I received iWork for 40 dollars and a student licensed version of Office 2008 for 10 dollars.

Being a student, I type a lot of papers. I have found that I almost never use Office 2008. Pages is quicker, easier, and more to the point. It does basic papers well and in my opinion handles typography better -- especially if using Apple's AAT fonts or OpenType Pro fonts. Most of the time in college, you simply print your reports and hand them in, so it doesn't really matter about formats. Occasionally, a professor will allow you to send them files, but in my case, they have almost always preferred PDF files (which Pages handles brilliantly). Pages can also export to .doc and it does a pretty good job of this. Just be careful of what fonts you use to avoid cross-platform issues (since OS X can use windows truetype fonts, this makes it easier).

I only use Word 2008 once in a while. I really only use it when I need a feature of Word that Pages doesn't do or doesn't do well -- I am more accustomed to Word's Styles/Table of Contents functions. But even this is changing. Also, Word and Office in general feels slower, bloated, less intuitive, takes up much more screen space, doesn't look quite as good at on-screen rendering, and generally takes more hunting and trial & error than Pages. I also use Word (rarely) when I receive a large .doc file that I know is complex (and typically from Windows users).

As for Numbers -- it suits my purposes... I use a spreadsheet once in a while to make graphs or charts and this is where Numbers excels. It is easy, quick, and looks great. Excel 2008 for mac is almost unusable it is so slow. And for Keynote vs. Powerpoint: I personally prefer Keynote. I get things done faster and like the look and feel of it better. Powerpoint is fine, but for some reason it is a bit confusing and I have trouble making it do what I want.

I say go with iWork 08. You will love it. If you find you need Office, then go ahead and get it later.