Locked Out!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hello,

I was looking to modify OSX's main menu, y'know, top left, with the apple? I was trying to remove a button.

I had activated the root user account, and successfully modded the menu to add characters to one of the buttons. The file I edited was in here:

/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Resources/English.lproj/ (after this I get fuzzy)/SystemMenu/Objects.xml

I don' remember the exact name, nor do I have access to it... as once I had successfully modded the menu the first time, I tried commenting out the menu object altogether in the XML file, and when I rebooted, I couldn't log on!

Whenever I clicked a user and started typing in the password box, no *** password characters were displayed, and the computer would go back a step, and ask me to chose a user again! The keyboard was working, as I was able to go to the Boot manager and choose to boot off a CD.

I am reinstalling right now to fix the issue (the computer needs to be used ASAP), but I am curious as to what the problem may have been. It seems like with all the menu mods out there, this modification would not be unusual. What could have caused the problem?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    tarltarl Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cjosephson View Post

What could have caused the problem?

Changing files for which you don't have all the details for, to state the obvious.

Changing anything in /System is a recipe for disaster.

Your best bet is to ssh into the Mac and replace whatever file you changed with a working copy.

And what "button" are you referring to? The only thing in the menu bar that could be called a button is the Apple menu, and you really don't want to remove that.

Quote:

I had activated the root user account

I hope you mean you did a sudo command in Terminal and that you didn't use Netinfo Manager to really activate the root account. Making the root account active so you can log into it graphically is a REALLY BAD IDEA. Why? Because you can royally screw up your Mac. You have discovered this first-hand.

Quote:

successfully modded the menu to add characters to one of the buttons

Are you trying to change what the menu says? Or are you trying to change the command key shortcut? If it's the latter, you only need to use the Keyboard & Mouse system preference. Under the Keyboard Shortcuts tab, you can change the command key shortcut of almost any command in almost any application.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    tarltarl Posts: 41member
    After reading your post again, it looks like you are trying to modify the Apple menu itself. Never heard it referred to as the "main menu" before.

Are you trying to remove one of the commands? Are you doing this for your main user account or an account of a novice user? If you want to simplify the Apple menu for a novice user, you can try the Simple Finder option. It's available in the Accounts system preference.

For any other reasons, I'm at a lost to help. Or to know what when wrong. I've never attempted what you've done and wouldn't have the slightest clue how to edit the files you're editing.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tarl View Post

After reading your post again, it looks like you are trying to modify the Apple menu itself. Never heard it referred to as the "main menu" before.

Are you trying to remove one of the commands? Are you doing this for your main user account or an account of a novice user? If you want to simplify the Apple menu for a novice user, you can try the Simple Finder option. It's available in the Accounts system preference.

For any other reasons, I'm at a lost to help. Or to know what when wrong. I've never attempted what you've done and wouldn't have the slightest clue how to edit the files you're editing.

Sorry, I am primarily a unix user, so my terminology is off.

I did find the simple finder option. My question was more of, well, I modified the menu options successfully once, why would modifying it again cause such a strange behavior? Did I mess up (possible), or are their programs apple runs with startup that check to make sure that the OSX interface looks the way its "supposed to", so I can NEVER mod the core interface like that?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    try using mac pilot to solve your problems
  • Reply 5 of 5
    datamodeldatamodel Posts: 126member
    I have this poster at home:

http://www.robbymac.org/images/mistakes.jpg

The OP's post really brought it to mind for me.

Good luck with it though, hope you get it sorted,

Cheers,

Martin.