Apple TV DVR interface revealed in patent filings

Comments

• Reply 21 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nace33 View Post

That is why this product should be OTA only. It doesn't depend on the cable companies changing standards. OTA isn't going anywhere (although analog is going bye bye). If there are shows you want that aren't on the major networks then buy them from iTunes.

Sorry that doesn't work. There is too much live programming (ie: sports) that is cable only these days and not available on iTunes or OTA.

I would love to cancel my cable subscription. But that means I can't watch the Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, and the few Patriots games that are on ESPN.

That is why I don't buy an Apple TV. Without access to live sports in HD, I cannot justify buying one.
  • Reply 22 of 113
    I think we'll see this released next February to coincide with the switch from Analogue to Digital TV here in the US. As some of you might know, the analogue signal will be switched off on February 17, 2009. Imagine the opportunity to market these new devices.

FYI

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/digitaltv.html
  • Reply 23 of 113
    js29js29 Posts: 44member
    While it looks great for cable customers, I just don't see this ever working with DirectTV. Although my current DirectTV HD-DVR does have an EtherNet port and a USB port. So maybe something could be done...
  • Reply 24 of 113
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

You're neglecting the obligate computer attached to the EyeTV. To talk about the functionality of an EyeTV, you kind of need to include its computer. And an Apple Mini might superficially look like an Apple TV, but the functionality is very different.

I have an EyeTV, and I like it. But its dependence on a computer has kept it from finding a spot under my TV. A device like what's in this patent would be different, I think.

Yeah, the functionality is different. The mini is much better.

But you missed the point. The EyeTV does everything the person asked for. It's just Apple refusal to allow anything to connect to it that makes the AppleTV pretty worthless. Hooking up an EyeTV to an AppleTV would be the best solution. And the fact you can't do that is all on Apple...
  • Reply 25 of 113
    nace33nace33 Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

But you missed the point. The EyeTV does everything the person asked for. It's just Apple refusal to allow anything to connect to it that makes the AppleTV pretty worthless. Hooking up an EyeTV to an AppleTV would be the best solution. And the fact you can't do that is all on Apple...

I would disagree. I have both the Mini/Eye TV setup as well as an Apple TV. The AppleTv works much better for viewing media in the living room. EyeTV on the AppleTv would be nice, but only if EyeTv fixed it's software.
  • Reply 26 of 113
    I'll buy one on those in a heartbeat
  • Reply 27 of 113
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    "Thereafter, a user of the remote control device can search programs that are to be broadcast and determine which programs to record. The recording settings can be programmed onto the remote control device, and then be provided to the video device when a data communication is established between the remote control device and the video device."

When I first read this, I was thinking that the train commuter brings his remote back to the house and sits in front of the TV to transfer his programming settings via IR. But notice that they said "when a data communication is established . . . " That could mean they are either contemplating a cell phone transmitter in the remote, or making the iPhone the/a remote. You could then send your programming choices back home from the train, or from Europe! You can sort of do this with TiVo, but it requires a computer, and Mac side version is problematic.
  • Reply 28 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

And therefore limit the product only to those who have good reception? Bad idea. OTA is an important feature, but for those who live the country or even for some who, like my parents, live in the city but in a valley with terrible TV reception, Cable is pretty much the only option for quality TV.

-Clive

Will that still be the case when everything is switched to digital broadcast?

With less than a year before analog broadcast halts, it would seem most logical to focus on digital broadcast and other options. Analog will be dead by the time they ship this (IF they ever shipped it, I'm not holding my breath).
  • Reply 29 of 113
    A little late for an obvious function, but welcome.

I might actually consider an Apple TV when this comes out.

For those saying using a computer to run your TV is a bit of overkill, isn't the AppleTV just a stripped down Mac?

As such wouldn't it be nice if Apple sneeked it into PC households as a capable OSX machine that would render their PC unnecessary when combined with their large flatscreen TV?
  • Reply 30 of 113
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Initial thoughts are "Bring it on!" but it will be a way off to release, 2 years IMO. IF it actually happens, i think to be honest that its just some back covering, from the patent wh()r3s in Texas.

I concur.
  • Reply 31 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrisgeleven View Post

Sorry that doesn't work. There is too much live programming (ie: sports) that is cable only these days and not available on iTunes or OTA.

I would love to cancel my cable subscription. But that means I can't watch the Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, and the few Patriots games that are on ESPN.

That is why I don't buy an Apple TV. Without access to live sports in HD, I cannot justify buying one.

I've cancelled my cable, get OTA HD channels for free, and supplement by subscribing to the CNN and other cable podcasts, and buying the few cable shows I enjoy.

I do miss the sports from time to time, but I'm not a sports junkie. If there's a good game I really want to see, I'll head down the street to the bar and have a good time.
  • Reply 32 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macintel4me View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

you can buy movies and TV shows from EyeTV? I did not know that!

No, but that's not what the the person was asking for. EyeTV can send its recordings to an AppleTV.

Yes, it is what the person was asking for...

Quote:

Sing me up to buy several of these things. This is exactly what I have been looking for. A Tivo with no monthly billing that can buy all of the content I desire A'la carte.

Clearly he wants a single device attached to his TV which can record OTA or buy content, not a Rube Goldberg scheme with an Apple TV, a computer, and an EyeTV unit. You couldn't schedule recordings from the sofa, you'd have to go to the computer for that.

Now if the EyeTV (or other tuner device) could plug directly into that handy USB port on the back of the AppleTV... that would be the smart way for Apple to go. Then they don't have to worry about what kind of tuners to build into the box.
  • Reply 33 of 113
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

That is why this product should be OTA only. It doesn't depend on the cable companies changing standards. OTA isn't going anywhere (although analog is going bye bye). If there are shows you want that aren't on the major networks then buy them from iTunes.

I've thought about that in the past, ever since the new TiVo HD boxes came out and now include OTA tuners (in addition to CableCard support). I figured about half my TV watching was OTA that I could receive (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, WGN, UPN). About another 15% I could get on iTunes (25% if/when NBC comes back...for the shows they produce that are broadcast on other channels). That still leaves over 25% unavailable. And 50% not available in HD, since iTunes doesn't have HD TV shows.

As much as I hate Comcast, that just ain't gonna cut it.
  • Reply 34 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Will that still be the case when everything is switched to digital broadcast?

With less than a year before analog broadcast halts, it would seem most logical to focus on digital broadcast and other options. Analog will be dead by the time they ship this (IF they ever shipped it, I'm not holding my breath).

My parents' TV has digital reception (yes, they've entered the 21st century... please welcome them, everyone). Local stations are crystal clear. A few former UHF stations are still pretty crappy. Not that my parents watch the CW or myTV... hahaha.

-Clive
  • Reply 35 of 113
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:

I currently use EyeTV 3.0 from Elgato. EyeTV is some of the worst software around. Just try and delete any recording from your remote. You have to start watching another program in order to delete the one you just watched. Not to mention you have to go through several menus to do all of this. I am confident an Apple interface wouldn't be so idiotic. I think you get my point.

EyeTV is not meant to be a set top box completely controlled from the remote - it's for using a Mac to watch TV. There are lots of shareware and freeware software to turn your Mac into a set top box if that's what you want.

Anyway, why do you need to delete a recording from the remote? Just do it when you are back at the computer keyboard.
  • Reply 36 of 113
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

OTA?

You seriously think that any manufacturer is going to market a product geared to an infrastructure that gives you about a dozen channels, most of them network pap? (Not to mention that OTA doesn't reach everyone.)

I'd love to consolidate to one box, but have to think hard about giving up HBO.

Take the John Adams biopic starting this weekend. (Or Six Feet Under, Sopranos, Rome etc etc.) This has been some of the best content available anywhere, including in theatres.

Cablecards are a joke, so if you want premium content, its pretty much cable or nothing. (or wait a year for the boxed sets or rentals, but I want to watch this stuff, not own it.)

the math comes down to,

Comcast HD DVR: ~$15/mo

HBO... haven't looked recently... $15/mo?

vs...

cost of ATV

At least $20/mo in HD rentals

I'd love to see a good analysis of the math for someone who likes some Premium content.
  • Reply 37 of 113
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    I sense a Apple TV 3.0 coming up in 2 years time
  • Reply 38 of 113
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShavenYak View Post

Yes, it is what the person was asking for...

Thanks for the backup!
  • Reply 39 of 113
    nace33nace33 Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

EyeTV is not meant to be a set top box completely controlled from the remote - it's for using a Mac to watch TV. There are lots of shareware and freeware software to turn your Mac into a set top box if that's what you want.

Anyway, why do you need to delete a recording from the remote? Just do it when you are back at the computer keyboard.

Because my mac mini is connected to my plasma and it is a pain in the butt to have to get my keyboard and mouse out every time I want to delete something.
  • Reply 40 of 113
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Nothing but an appliance will succeed in the living room.

Apple is spot on with the AppleTV. I've re-wired for HDMI and am buying ATV as soon as I get over my AAPL/DOW depression and get on with my life.

But geeks who enjoy this stuff totally don't get the degree to which even the simplest technical hoops just won't fly for 99% of consumers. Remember the flashing "00:00"?

Even most appliances are too complex for most consumers.