Exposed: iPhone 2.0's parental controls, advanced calculator

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Leaked copies of Apple's iPhone software version 2.0, not due for public consumption until June, reveal a glimpse at upcoming features such as parental controls and a redesigned version of the handset's embedded calculator application.

Earlier this week, the unofficial iPhoneDevTeam managed to get their hands on a copy of the beta software, which Apple seeded to select enterprise partners in order to afford them a head start on integrating the iPhone into their corporate networks and developing proprietary applications for employees.

A single screenshot of the software published by the organization offered the first peek at a new set of controls that parents can use to restrict access to certain iPhone functions on their children's handset. Among them are four toggle switches that can be used to deactivate Safari, YouTube, the mobile iTunes Store, and the App Store.

The "Enable Parental Controls" preference panel also includes a fifth toggle switch that will prohibit playback of any audio album or track that has be flagged for explicit or inappropriate language.

On Thursday, a few more images of the iPhone 2.0 software (in addition to a YouTube video) surfaced by way of hackint0sh, this time in the form of digital photos that show an actual iPhone running the software. While not particularly revealing in themselves, they do provide a glimpse at a redesigned version of the iPhone's calculator application that had previously gone unmentioned.

According to hackint0sh, the beta version of the software seeded to enterprise partners does not include the contact search icon spotted during Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller's presentation last week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    What's with the green teakettle?
  • Reply 2 of 54
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Calculator looks different but doesn't seem to sport any new features over existing 1.1.4.
  • Reply 3 of 54
    petermacpetermac Posts: 115member
    Somebody, has been a very naughty boy
  • Reply 4 of 54
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

Calculator looks different but doesn't seem to sport any new features over existing 1.1.4.

Nope. According to the picture*, it went from 5 rows by 4 columns to 6 rows by 4 columns. The extra four button spaces are for a double sized equals and zero button, a separation of the MC/MR button into two, and the inclusion of a ± button.

PS: I'm trying my hand at creating a more robust calculator that has the three modes of the OS X calculator. With the three modes (Basic/Scientific/Programmer) that can be changed by a simple swipe. I'm also trying to include an option to have the values carry over to each one or have them separate so you essentially have three calculators at once. I doubt it will see the light of day before someone else creates a better one long before me.**

* By referring to the posted pic I'm not violating any NDA.

** Neither is talking about what I'm doing.
  • Reply 5 of 54
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

I believe they are showing the Open GL (3D) capabilities on the phone.
  • Reply 6 of 54
    Wonderful! Apple finds the time to add parental controls to the iPhone (how many people are really going to find this useful??), but not a To Do app that synchs with iCal/Mail.

WTF?

Does Steve Jobs have some irrational hatred of To Dos? I can't think of any other reason why there would *still* be no sign of them.
  • Reply 7 of 54
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 698member
    RLM software has done a great job of putting sims of these into OS X - the iPhone iPT is just RIPE for these...
  • Reply 8 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2director View Post

Wonderful! Apple finds the time to add parental controls to the iPhone (how many people are really going to find this useful??), but not a To Do app that synchs with iCal/Mail.

This is odd. I figured that this would been tied to the iPhone once Leopard was released. It's beyond me why this isn't included.

Yesterday checked to see if parentally controlled emails and iChat can be approved through Mobile OS X or through the .Mac mail interface. They cannot. I was surprised about the webmail option, but was about the Mobile OS X option. This really need to be rectified.
  • Reply 9 of 54
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Most likely... the teapot is an OpenGL primitive-- it's an arbitrary complex shape that tests a lot of different rendering cases. It's thus the default standard model used to test any basic OpenGL implementation.
  • Reply 10 of 54
    Wonder if that will be ported over to the iTouch as well ?
  • Reply 11 of 54
    banalltvbanalltv Posts: 238member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

What's the squiggle to the right of the kettle?

Is it a sketchpad like the one on the little Nintendo?
  • Reply 12 of 54
    Quote:

Dude!

It's got SIGN CHANGE in it now!

I was getting all excited, but then my hopes were dashed. No trig functions? Total bullshit -- that's a deal-breaker! I want to be able to carry around my co-secants with me at all time. Screw 3G -- give me a decent scientific calculator (RPN would be cool.)
  • Reply 13 of 54
    The too limited calculator (no 1/x, sqroot) was always strange to me on such a high performance device like the iphone/itouch. Now with the SDK there is no reason to worry since a great 3rd party app is certain to appear. Although I have Ti Titanium, the best calc I EVER used was on a PALM, and that remains the only reason I miss Palm. (I used it on treo 650) I can still use it, but why carry 2 devices everywhere. In case any one is interested in a great calculator they are from infinitysw.com ( I have no relation with this company, but after years of trying all the rest - this one is better than my dedicated calculator
  • Reply 14 of 54
    A very interesting little detail on the screens...
  • Reply 15 of 54
    Hey, guys, the following message is for you programmers out there :

Can someone PLEASE create a TI-89 style graphing calculator program? It would simply be AWESMOME if i could use the iphone to make 3D graphs and be able to pan/rotate/zoom at a single swipe of the finger.

PLEASEEEEEEEEEE? Thx!
  • Reply 16 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by logic368 View Post

Hey, guys, the following message is for you programmers out there :

Can someone PLEASE create a TI-89 style graphing calculator program? It would simply be AWESMOME if i could use the iphone to make 3D graphs and be able to pan/rotate/zoom at a single swipe of the finger.

PLEASEEEEEEEEEE? Thx!

I imagine that will come, though not in June, and be very successful at a much lower rate and have more features than dedicated graphing calculators. There will be tradeoffs: the battery life will be lower, it will be nice if there is an option to save all your keystrokes when you sync to you PC/Mac.
  • Reply 17 of 54
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SonomaCider View Post

A very interesting little detail on the screens...

Maybe - but it could be a German phone.
  • Reply 18 of 54
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Nope. According to the picture*, it went from 5 rows by 4 columns to 6 rows by 4 columns. The extra four button spaces are for a double sized equals and zero button, a separation of the MC/MR button into two, and the inclusion of a ± button.

So ± button is an advanced feature?
  • Reply 19 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This is odd. I figured that this would been tied to the iPhone once Leopard was released. It's beyond me why this isn't included.

Yesterday checked to see if parentally controlled emails and iChat can be approved through Mobile OS X or through the .Mac mail interface. They cannot. I was surprised about the webmail option, but was about the Mobile OS X option. This really need to be rectified.

How many parents are buying their kids iPhones who are young enough to even need parental controls? "Oh, I don't want my 9 year old surfing naughty websites on his iPhone." COME ON!
  • Reply 20 of 54
    Quote:

So ± button is an advanced feature?

Who said it was advanced?