Exposed: iPhone 2.0's parental controls, advanced calculator

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    gmon750gmon750 Posts: 39member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A single screenshot of the software published by the organization offered the first peek at a new set of controls that parents can use to restrict access to certain iPhone functions on their children's handset.

Honestly, what kind of parent would even consider giving their kid an iPhone? It's not an issue of having the money. I would not want my kid going around flashing a $400+ device in the face of other kids. It's just asking for trouble.

Every phone has parental controls on it. IT'S CALLED "TAKING THE PHONE AWAY!!!"

I guess if the kids whine enough, mommy and daddy will do pretty much anything to keep them quiet.

It's just wrong.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlashmanBurgess View Post

How many parents are buying their kids iPhones who are young enough to even need parental controls? "Oh, I don't want my 9 year old surfing naughty websites on his iPhone." COME ON!

If you are referring to my second paragraph, I am referring to parents okaying email and iChat contacts of their children's Macs with their iPhone/Touch, Since most parents use Windows computers at work they can't approve such a service until they get home. This is too limiting and makes the feature pretty pointless until there is a remote way of approving their request. Mobile OS X is a perfect solution.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmon750 View Post

Honestly, what kind of parent would even consider giving their kid an iPhone? It's not an issue of having the money. I would not want my kid going around flashing a $400+ device in the face of other kids. It's just asking for trouble.

I guess if the kids whine enough, mommy and daddy will do pretty much anything to keep them quiet.

It's just wrong.

I don't think you are looking at the long term. Mobile OS X will undoubtedly filter to other Apple devices. I forsee cheaper iPods running OS X and eventually larger touchscreen devices. While you can't see this being a good fit for your kids there are plenty of parents who might if the parental controls offered them a safer environment. Also, neither cell phones nor Mo3 players something children had at one time and now they are not only commonplace but you can find said devices designed specifically for younger age groups.
  • Reply 24 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't thin you are looking at the big picture. Mobile OS X will undoubtedly filter to other Apple devices. I forsee cheaper iPods running OS X and eventually larger touchscreen devices. While you can't see this being a good fit for your kids there are plenty of parents who might if the parental controls offered them a safer environment.

No disrespect intended, but I am looking at the big picture. Kids in general have no business going around flashing expensive toys like that. It's not an issue of my personally not seeing this as inappropriate for my kids or whether they want email access or whatever type of function. This is about personal safety and sending the wrong message to their kids and other kids. It's reality.

A parent (regardless of income level) has major issues to rationalize giving their kid such an expensive phone. Will their parents wonder why their kid gets robbed walking home from school or in a shopping mall?
  • Reply 25 of 54
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

It's just wrong.

This feature is probably targeting the iPod Touch not the iPhone.
  • Reply 26 of 54
    Quote:

No disrespect intended, but I am looking at the big picture.

A parent (regardless of income level) has major issues to rationalize giving their kid such an expensive phone.

That is my point. You assume that it will be used only as a phone and only with expensive item. I see no reason why mobileSafari will not be added to other iPods besides the Touch and that prices will fall to a point that devices running Mobile OS X will be easily obtainable like other PMP/MIDs. Apple seems to be making a move toward the PSP and DS market as much as RiM''s market. Are these handheld gaming devices not expensive items used by the young? Do they not have access to web browsers? An elite product one day will be commonplace the next.
  • Reply 27 of 54
    Quote:

That is my point. You assume that it will be used only as a phone and only with expensive item. I see no reason why mobileSafari will not be added to other iPods besides the Touch and that prices will fall to a point that devices running Mobile OS X will be easily obtainable like other PMP/MIDs. Apple seems to be making a move toward the PSP and DS market as much as RiM''s market. Are these handheld gaming devices not expensive items used by the young? Do they not have access to web browsers? An elite product one day will be commonplace the next.

Very well said and I understand your point entirely. However, as this article pertains mainly to adding the parental controls to a $400 phone, I am staying within those bounds. Parents have no business giving their kids a "mug me/steal me/beat-me-up/I'm better than you" device to begin with. I don't have a problem with Apple putting these controls on devices.

I know Apple is looking at the bigger picture of using the power of OSX into future devices and I hope they do. It's exciting stuff that Apple is doing. I have no problem with them putting it in a future $50 widget for kids with controls. But having parents giving kids multi-hundred-dollar devices is just wrong.
  • Reply 28 of 54
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polar315 View Post

Wonder if that will be ported over to the iTouch as well ?

Of course it will be. Imagine the lawsuits if a child was molested via their iTouch.

Everyone pounced on me on Feb 6th when I mentioned this was needed (afte the facebook iPhone add) and here you are.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Nope. According to the picture*, it went from 5 rows by 4 columns to 6 rows by 4 columns. The extra four button spaces are for a double sized equals and zero button, a separation of the MC/MR button into two, and the inclusion of a ± button.

PS: I'm trying my hand at creating a more robust calculator that has the three modes of the OS X calculator. With the three modes (Basic/Scientific/Programmer) that can be changed by a simple swipe. I'm also trying to include an option to have the values carry over to each one or have them separate so you essentially have three calculators at once. I doubt it will see the light of day before someone else creates a better one long before me.**

* By referring to the posted pic I'm not violating any NDA.

** Neither is talking about what I'm doing.

They may have changed the calculator design to avoid a lawsuit from the German design it was clearly stolen from.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2director View Post

Wonderful! Apple finds the time to add parental controls to the iPhone (how many people are really going to find this useful??), but not a To Do app that synchs with iCal/Mail.

WTF?

Does Steve Jobs have some irrational hatred of To Dos? I can't think of any other reason why there would *still* be no sign of them.

Don't worry. There will be plenty of exciting new apps from developers... "to do lists" would be one of 'em.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member

Do I smell a cool eBook reader?
  • Reply 32 of 54
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Dude!

It's got SIGN CHANGE in it now!

I was getting all excited, but then my hopes were dashed. No trig functions? Total bullshit -- that's a deal-breaker! I want to be able to carry around my co-secants with me at all time. Screw 3G -- give me a decent scientific calculator (RPN would be cool.)

There's an SDK now. Shout loud enough to the right people and you might get your wish

Omnigroup has made some fantastic apps for the Mac. I'd love to see what they could do for the iPhone...
  • Reply 33 of 54
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2director View Post

Wonderful! Apple finds the time to add parental controls to the iPhone (how many people are really going to find this useful??), but not a To Do app that synchs with iCal/Mail.

WTF?

Does Steve Jobs have some irrational hatred of To Dos? I can't think of any other reason why there would *still* be no sign of them.

Amen. I do want 3G but the lack of a To Do application is the big reason keeping me away. With all of the recent focus to enterprise functionality I can't bvelieve no mention of this has been made.

--Dave
  • Reply 34 of 54
    iPhone 2.0 due in June 2008 should sport a 32GB flash memory, 3G technology, 5MP Camera, Outlook Exchange comparibility with more software at $500 with cheeper models with less features.

Apple really needs to pull this off to gain market share.
  • Reply 35 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Amen. I do want 3G but the lack of a To Do application is the big reason keeping me away. With all of the recent focus to enterprise functionality I can't bvelieve no mention of this has been made.

--Dave

Have you tried Noter by dBelement? It's really good actually.
  • Reply 36 of 54
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Quote:

Who said it was advanced?

The article originally said advanced calculator (when I read it). As you can see, the discussion topic title still reads "Exposed: iPhone 2.0's parental controls, advanced calculator".
  • Reply 37 of 54
    tri3tri3 Posts: 20member
    Now if they made the calculator a RPN Reverse Polish Notation calculator it would have been sweet. Once you use one of those you don't go back to a regular one.
  • Reply 38 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

The article originally said advanced calculator (when I read it). As you can see, the discussion topic title still reads "Exposed: iPhone 2.0's parental controls, advanced calculator".

Gotcha. I was confused because you quoted my post.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    The iPhone has the potential to run incredible graphing calculator software with its specs—imagine full-sized colorful charts and 3D graphs, all touch-based.

Not that I don't appreciate the ± button (just a few weeks ago I had to use my iPhone in my math class. It was a little obnoxious.)
  • Reply 40 of 54
    rhowarthrhowarth Posts: 144member
    Quote:

Honestly, what kind of parent would even consider giving their kid an iPhone?

Of course I wouldn't give my 9 year old son his own iPhone to flash around, but he does like playing with mine around the house. There are plenty of videos on YouTube which he enjoys and which are quite suitable for him - Harry Potter and Dr Who and Lego Star Wars and stuff. That doesn't mean he should have unrestricted access though, so parental controls are a good idea. For example, I might download an R-rated film which I obviously don't want him to see, but I can't necessarily stand over him constantly monitoring exactly what he does. Parental controls need to be much finer grained than turning entire applications on and off though.