Apple TV DVR interface revealed in patent filings

Comments

• Reply 81 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Apple should sell this device to the cable companies for them to provide as the cable box to their clients. If Motorola ca do it, Apple should be able to do it better.

This is the only way I can see this working.
  • Reply 82 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Yes, for playback of movies. And to your point, "include" would cover either Apple including the drive in the AppleTV or supporting an external drive (and there is no way they'd support an external drive and not offer to sell you an Apple branded one).

Either way, blu-ray player or DVR, you are asking Apple to support playback of content that you aren't buying from them. Which is why I find it interesting that people think Apple will put a DVR in AppleTV and at the same time think they'd never support blu-ray. In fact, a DVR would only serve to piss off everyone from the content owners to the cable providers (who provide our internet access). Including blu-ray would be a win for everyone.

Are their not two movie studios now that simply offer a free download from itunes by simply putting the DVD into your computer.... that means they bought it in a store and not on itunes... hmm I don't think Apple makes money on that deal but still allow this to happen because its what the people want. Just a thought.
  • Reply 83 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Texadian View Post

Are their not two movie studios now that simply offer a free download from itunes by simply putting the DVD into your computer.... that means they bought it in a store and not on itunes... hmm I don't think Apple makes money on that deal but still allow this to happen because its what the people want. Just a thought.

Actually, the movie is on the DVD itself. You don't need to download it from iTunes.
  • Reply 84 of 113
    Quote:

Yes, for playback of movies. And to your point, "include" would cover either Apple including the drive in the AppleTV or supporting an external drive (and there is no way they'd support an external drive and not offer to sell you an Apple branded one).

Either way, blu-ray player or DVR, you are asking Apple to support playback of content that you aren't buying from them. Which is why I find it interesting that people think Apple will put a DVR in AppleTV and at the same time think they'd never support blu-ray. In fact, a DVR would only serve to piss off everyone from the content owners to the cable providers (who provide our internet access). Including blu-ray would be a win for everyone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

Actually, the movie is on the DVD itself. You don't need to download it from iTunes.

Even better. Faster than the download and doesn't slow my internet during the process. If Apple supports this in such a way that it had the head of the studio come announce it at one of their (Apple) keynote address I think it would be safe to assume that they (Apple) would not be against DVR as it is the same principle. Your taking content purchased from a regular store or taking OTA/CableCard signals and putting it in your itunes account where you can then access it from your AppleTV. If there is a BlueRay drive and or a tuner (OTA/CableCard) in the AppleTV itself one could avoid the need for doing it on ones computer keeping the AppleTV a standalone product which it appears they (Apple) are trying to accomplish. The recent trends of Apple have shown they want to give as much to people for as low of a cost as they can while still maintaining a profit margin that can maintain their company and what must be an enormous R&D Department budget. Apple is becoming a very forward thinking company and enjoy watching them as they produce better and better end user products that are elegant and simple to use.

ps I am an Apple fan what can I say
  • Reply 85 of 113
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

hahahahahahahah!!!

Oh my sides hurt.

i know. getting cable to lose all encryption would be harder than getting movie studios to lose DRM.

But, the FCC already requires them to send local channels in the clear, and as such, many cable companies at least send their basic package in the clear - no help with HBO, et al, but can give you 25-30 channels + your local ATSC broadcasts just with an ATSC/QAM tuner.
  • Reply 86 of 113
    This is a very interesting topic and there are lots of good ideas. Ultimately the next few years will reinvent our TV watching paradigm - growing from the switch to Digital TV, popularity of HD, PPV models, cablecard standards, and IPTV. What Apple presents (IF they present) will be either their version of the future, or their version of a bridge to the future. I think, perhaps, the existing AppleTV is more their version of the future. Anyway - whatever they do next, some of us will say "why didn't they just add X!??"

I don't know what the future will be, of course. Ignoring Apple, I wonder if all cable companies will become 100% IP based in 10 years? - could all shows be on demand, sent to a dumb box in the home? Or will the box be incredibly smart, and put together your needs from multiple sources, while offering to either charge you $1 to watch the show or let it integrate 3 minutes of targeted ads (customised not just to your demographic - but to your particular interests and needs).

I agree FTA recording would annoy the networks, as they lose their ability to make money on the content - so any solution needs to incorporate the concept that SOMEHOW money will need to go to the providers (todays 18 mins/hr of general skimmable ads, or maybe 3mins/show of targeted forced-watch ads, or a $1 rental, or subscription). There are many ways of combining choice, rental & advertising. But also, any solution needs to try to convince the networks that it'd work AND understand that a multitude of contracts exist that restrict thinking outside the current box!!

As a progressive start, I'd like

1) FTA recording (in Australia we have low payTV uptake & no shows or movies sold or rented on iTunes).

2) An option to rent TV shows.

3) I want to subscribe to HBO etc (the AppleTV could easily simulate a PVR by listing the upcoming week of movies, and we select what we want to "record").

4) Make my (downloaded) TV shows "free" by integrating Apple/Google/Network ads targeted to my interests/needs

.... I think that could largely replace cable, with the exception of live sport and news. I'm not sure how to handle sport. Apple + ABC could make an amazing interactive news system - with short stories linking to longer ones, all downloaded on demand like the movie trailers.
  • Reply 87 of 113
    Quote:

Interesting how everyone dismisses the possibility of Apple including a blu-ray drive in Apple TV on the grounds that it would compete with their iTunes sales. And yet when the topic of DVR functionality comes up everyone thinks it's the best idea ever, and Apple will definitely need to do this. Doesn't the same argument apply that it would compete with their iTunes sales (don't they make more money off TV shows than movies)?

Just an observation...

I wouldn't overly generalise what "everyone" thinks but certainly the people responding in this AppleTV PVR thread seem to like the idea, in general.

I think a PVR can integrate reasonably seemlessly with an AppleTV. For example - instead of buying a season pass to Lost, you can tell the AppleTV to record it every week - and then you just wait for it to appear in your list (with ads, of course). An "upcoming movies" could show every movie showing on FTA this week AND the movies about to be released on iTunes - ready to preselect.

A DVD/BluRay model can't integrate so seemlessly (of course... I'm assuming Apple does a good job integrating a PVR). Also, the AppleTV can't support the decoding requirements of BluRay at present so it'd be another cost increase. I can see the benefit of integration, just not how it fits into the ongoing development of the online model.
  • Reply 88 of 113
    Just to change the subject for a moment, I hope they make the remote a bit more rugged that an iPod. Would you ever toss your iPod on the coffee table or let it fall off the sofa? TV remotes hold up to abuse.
  • Reply 89 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMinnesotan View Post

Just to change the subject for a moment, I hope they make the remote a bit more rugged that an iPod. Would you ever toss your iPod on the coffee table or let it fall off the sofa? TV remotes hold up to abuse.

Very good point.

Also... I have to say I don't really want ANOTHER remote for day to day use. I can program our Harmony remote to do everything (including AppleTV), so if Apple go for a full touch screen remote I hope they intend on controlling my TV settings and Amp volume (for starters).
  • Reply 90 of 113
    This is what the Apple TV should have been FROM THE START.
  • Reply 91 of 113
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

A little late for an obvious function, but welcome.

I might actually consider an Apple TV when this comes out.

For those saying using a computer to run your TV is a bit of overkill, isn't the AppleTV just a stripped down Mac?

As such wouldn't it be nice if Apple sneeked it into PC households as a capable OSX machine that would render their PC unnecessary when combined with their large flatscreen TV?

It's definitely not too late. We haven't even switched over to the 2009 cut off for Analog TVs.

Apple isn't late to this game.
  • Reply 92 of 113
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

My buddy has Tivo and its just kickass. But I would never, ever, EVER pay for the DVR and THEN pay a monthly fee for the privilige of having said box dial up from a phone line (or via the net) to download what is basically a freely available TV Guide.

For the Tivoted, this might not be a big deal, but folks, you're paying for a TV GUIDE by the month!

I too would not hesitate to drop $500 for a device that did all this with no monthly fee.

And if said device also linked up with my iPhone and dropped unwatched TV shows into it for me to view later?!?!

Pardon me, I need to visit the restroom so i can "comb my hair"...

Hmmm... TiVo has more than TV guide. It searches for actors/directors in movies I don't know about. It suggests programs. I get "TivoCasts". It follows changing schedules for tv programs so I don't miss new episodes....

I would like the capabilities this patent suggests. And I like EyeTV for some items too!
  • Reply 93 of 113
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

I sense a Apple TV 3.0 coming up in 2 years time

So let's be patient then?
  • Reply 94 of 113
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sho38 View Post

As much as I want to see the DVR function on the AppleTv, I don't think apple will ever roll it out UNLESS the TV networks decide to pull all their shows from the apple store. This is more like Apple's back up plan in case it happens...

It is nice to dream though. If this were to happen and the low-end version could be had for $149, I'd buy a couple of them.
  • Reply 95 of 113
    Yet another market for Apple to enter successfully. Most of today's DVRs bite the big one. Apple's getting pretty good at fixing up crappy products. Maybe they'll enter the auto industry. We could only dream, right? In my opinion, DeLorean was the Apple of the auto industry, only they were beaten down by British government. Anyways... I imagine Apple will work it's way into GPS navigation soon. Hm... what else currently sucks? The government? Steve Jobs for president? We could call his campaign "Mac US". Get it? Too cheesy? I'm sure there could be a play on "Jobs". Steve Jobs is such a good public speaker and so good at fixing things that suck, he really should be president. Come on, with friends like Al Gore and Ross Perot, he could do it. Could you imagine the campaign ads? Genius. I mean, the guy took Apple's stock from, what, $17 all the way up to about, what was it, near $200 last summer? From near death to billions in cash reserves. That's the kind of prosperity our country needs. I don't know why I'm writing this post. I'm just bored, I guess.
  • Reply 96 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

It will be interesting to see how much of this, if any, they put into production.

I have verizon FIOS now and I don't care for the on screen guide and its lag and I *hate* the on-demand interface. I haven't yet ventured into the DVR world, but if Apple could come up with something that does everything WELL then I would be very interested indeed.

If they could do for the human/TV interface what they seem to be doing for the human/cell phone interface, well, that would be a good thing.

agreed. even conventional cable television programming guides are horrible interactive experiences.

here's an improvement:

http://www.jorgefino.com/reduction_vs_addition.html
  • Reply 97 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

It will be interesting to see how much of this, if any, they put into production.

I have verizon FIOS now and I don't care for the on screen guide and its lag and I *hate* the on-demand interface. I haven't yet ventured into the DVR world, but if Apple could come up with something that does everything WELL then I would be very interested indeed.

If they could do for the human/TV interface what they seem to be doing for the human/cell phone interface, well, that would be a good thing.

i have a tivo hd on my verizon fios service. great stuff. i'd probably like an apple solution as well but tivo rocks.
  • Reply 98 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UbiquitousGeek View Post

Yet another market for Apple to enter successfully. Most of today's DVRs bite the big one.

Since most DVR's are TiVo units, I take issue with your assertion. As many others have iterated, TiVo is a great device. The interface works well and is quite intuitive. The guide interface looks a bit dated, but it does look better after the refresh a while back then it did when I first got it. It's also rock solid when it comes to stability (as opposed to my non-DVR cable box that I had to literally pull the plug on twice the other day while trying to access On Demand content).

One big issue I see is that from the pictures it looks like Apple is trying to shoehorn all the functionality of a remote into the iPod control scheme (okay, that is a step up from the really crappy Apple Remote). I can't imagine trying to browse through the TV listings that way, being forced to always scroll through the list as opposed to a regular remote where I would just type in a channel number and jump forward in the guide. Maybe if this DVR only supports OTA content where I'd imagine most people could only expect to get at most 10-15 channels (and I think even that number would be quite generous unless they have a full-sized antenna mounted on the roof). But imagine the 300+ channels of cable or satellite and having no numeric input on the remote would be inexcusable (it would be amusing to see Jobs spin the BS as he attempted to justify only supporting OTA content).

The one thing that did get me excited was the last image showing "Mallrats" available for download but not from iTunes. The source was listed as CinemaNow. If Apple actually partnered with other content providers instead of the iTunes Store being the only option, that would pique my interest. I know it would never happen, but I'd be interested in seeing Amazon's Unbox available on the device; their movie prices are often cheaper than iTunes (and even sometimes cheaper than an iTunes rental to own) plus their TV subscriptions are a flexible pay-as-you-go/stop anytime system instead of iTunes pay-everything-upfront lock-in.
  • Reply 99 of 113
    randyrandy Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

I'll take one.

Now.

I'll take 4. One for the living room, one for the bedroom and one for each of the kids rooms (and maybe even one for Grandma's room for when she comes to visit...... and a second mortgage please! And here is to not only hoping that this will see the light of day (preferably soon!!), but that when it does that recordings and movies can be shared between units in household with more than one! And possibly an option to record two shows at the same time (but I imagine figuring that one out for universal compatibility with all cable and satellite TV systems would be next to impossible!!)

I have been very reluctant to buy an AppleTV, but it wouldn't take me very long before I ordered at least a few of these (if I could afford more than 1). Add a DVD or better yet a blueray player for already purchased discs and a recorder option (to back up purchased movies), full HD (2.1 megapixel) 16:9 video output, surround sound, a remote that lets me skip scenes and as a 30 sec skip option, a hard drive big enough to hold two weeks worth of TV shows and a lot of my movies that I would finally buy from Apple or an external HD option, and some good games, and I'll sell mine and my wife's organs to get it!!! Well, definitely the mother-in-laws organs!
  • Reply 100 of 113
    randyrandy Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

One big issue I see is that from the pictures it looks like Apple is trying to shoehorn all the functionality of a remote into the iPod control scheme (okay, that is a step up from the really crappy Apple Remote). I can't imagine trying to browse through the TV listings that way, being forced to always scroll through the list as opposed to a regular remote where I would just type in a channel number and jump forward in the guide. Maybe if this DVR only supports OTA content where I'd imagine most people could only expect to get at most 10-15 channels (and I think even that number would be quite generous unless they have a full-sized antenna mounted on the roof). But imagine the 300+ channels of cable or satellite and having no numeric input on the remote would be inexcusable (it would be amusing to see Jobs spin the BS as he attempted to justify only supporting OTA content).

I agree with the scrolling through channels to find what to watch or record would be a poor implementation, maybe it will have a good search option and let us scroll through the alphabet for typing! That would be faster than the left, right, up down arrow option that most DVRs make you use now. A number pad would still be nice!