New Imacs Tues?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 124
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    The obsession with video cards is a gamer thing.

Since the bulk of the gamer market is now owned by the Wii, the PS3 and Xbox, Apple doesn't really care.
  • Reply 42 of 124
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

I'm a potential Apple customer sez why.

Choice. Guess I'm used to a market where you can select more than one mere gpu? :I

"You can buy any color of Porsche, as long as it's white, red, or black."

You can have any GPU in an iMac, as long as it's a Radeon X2600.

Alternatively, you can buy a computer that's not an iMac, or a car that's not a Porsche. Also, don't tell me this is a bad analogy, because, like with the iMac, there are a bazillion reasons to buy the Porsche that have nothing to do with it's performance as a car, and which cannot be matched by competing products.
  • Reply 43 of 124
    dpioldpiol Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

"You can buy any color of Porsche, as long as it's white, red, or black."

Alternatively, you can buy a computer that's not an iMac, or a car that's not a Porsche. Also, don't tell me this is a bad analogy, because, like with the iMac, there are a bazillion reasons to buy the Porsche that have nothing to do with it's performance as a car, and which cannot be matched by competing products.

You can buy a Porsche in any color you like... but that's another story. I don't think it's a matter of having a choice of GPU, most people would be happy having at least a decent GPU. The ATI Radeon 2600 is not.. not these days. And of course it is for occasional gaming, what else would you need a decent GPU for ?

Hey, it was Apple alowing to install Windows on Macs... Windows IS for gaming!
  • Reply 44 of 124
    copsecopse Posts: 64member
    It was Henry Ford who said:

Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black

• Reply 45 of 124
    Apple released the new Airport Express today. Either they have bigger fish to fry tomorrow, or the weekend leak on the Swiss site made it not worth waiting for Tuesday.
  • Reply 46 of 124
    Exactly what I was thinking
  • Reply 47 of 124
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    Do we have any idea which of the new chips will be used? I'm particularly interested in the low end (i.e. will it be the 2.1 Ghz chip or the 2.4).
  • Reply 48 of 124
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    Or, maybe Apple didn't want to share spotlight with Vista update.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Apple released the new Airport Express today. Either they have bigger fish to fry tomorrow, or the weekend leak on the Swiss site made it not worth waiting for Tuesday.

• Reply 49 of 124
    Another Tuesday shot to hell, oh well there's always next week.
  • Reply 50 of 124
    It's always interesting to watch Apple's PR moves.

Why not release the Airport Express and Safari on the same day? Neither will make big headlines.

Regarding the iMacs, there's still the "special-priced" refurbs of every model available at the Apple Store. Those are taking a long time to clear out. And I don't think we'll see new ones until they're gone.
  • Reply 51 of 124
    I noticed the current generation refurbs are cheaper than the previous generation. True, the previous generation is slightly faster (2.16ghz vs 2.0ghz) but it has slower ram and the old enclosure.

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to get one of them, but I'm not sure which. If the new one had a matte display, I'd take it.
  • Reply 52 of 124
    Anyone else have any news on the imac update? I'm all set to buy a 24" imac but don't want to buy the current version just to have the newer line come out the following Tuesday. This $$$ is burning a hole in my pocket!
  • Reply 53 of 124
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schmoopy.design View Post

Anyone else have any news on the imac update? I'm all set to buy a 24" imac but don't want to buy the current version just to have the newer line come out the following Tuesday. This $$$ is burning a hole in my pocket!

No news yet. They could appear now (in March of 2008) or as late as early June.
  • Reply 54 of 124
    Do we think the update will strictly be the processor or will it be a tweaked or revamped design?

I found an article here at http://www.macnr.com/ the imac section is under March 8th. The mockup looks pretty cool.
  • Reply 55 of 124
    Quote:

Do we think the update will strictly be the processor or will it be a tweaked or revamped design?

Look for a processor update?the enclosure is still first generation.
  • Reply 56 of 124
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    There really isn't any rush on the update, since it's going to be minor. The low end will probably take up the 2.1GHz processor. The higher end will take up the 2.5GHz processor. Pretty basic. The graphics will probably see a boost too. On the low end, I'd hope that Apple would introduce a model with Integrated Graphics to get an aluminized 20-inch unit in the market, at least for education, under $1,000. For education, as well, Apple should offer a unit without an optical drive for further cost savings. In the school district I work optical drives are rarely used.
  • Reply 57 of 124
    Quote:

What is it with Apple users and their car analogies?

:?

Lemon Bon Bon.

PS. Hey, I wonder, would it be asking too much of Apple to include an Nvidia 8800 GT series or any competitive card from last year in the iMac?

Anywhere near a GT or ATi 'GT' class.? And I may just plump for it while I await Neh'.

Cars.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 58 of 124
    Quote:

Wait to buy. At this point a speed bump will happen sooner rather than later.
  • Reply 59 of 124
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    All I have to say is this: Something's coming soon from Apple. That iPhone Developer Road Map spread on the front page of Apple.com is wicked stale.
  • Reply 60 of 124
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    I'm starting to think they should hurry up and refresh it so everyone will stop speculating about it.

It's obviously gonna happen soon. What's the next thread - new Mac Mini on Tuesday?