Smart Folder question...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I've been working on a lot of projects lately, and I've noticed that my files are getting scattered all over my HDD. I'm just not thinking about organization right now, I'm thinking about getting the projects done as quickly as possible. I have found the Smart Folder interesting because of this recently. My question is how can I tag my Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Cinema 4D, After Effects, JPEGs, PNGs, Final Cut, and any other file type to show up in the Smart Folder for the same project? This way I'll just be able to open the smart folder and bang, everything for the project is in that folder. Less worrying about organization, more focusing on work! Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    Someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I am wrong - but can't you click on Command-I and enter the project name as a Spotlight keyword for all your related files? Then you can create a smart folder using that keyword.

Cheers
  • Reply 2 of 4
    zoczoc Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tilt View Post

Someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I am wrong - but can't you click on Command-I and enter the project name as a Spotlight keyword for all your related files? Then you can create a smart folder using that keyword.

Cheers

Right.

You can also use other tools, like SpotMeta (don't know if this software works on 10.5) or Punakea. The first one can add custom attributes to files that spotlight can use. The second one uses the Spotlight "comment" attribute to store tags.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I will look into the spotlight comments when I get out of work tonight. I looks like the whole comment would have to match the search in order to come up though. That's not what I'm looking for because sometimes I want the same file to come up in multiple smart folders, I could be wrong though. The other tagging sounds like something I'll be able to use, but the apps seem a liitle odd to get used to. I found an other on TagBot, I'll look into these more and see which one will work for me. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Seems like automator is the way to go...I found this:

http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2...es_with_a.html

I'm going to try to play with this a little more and see if I can get it to show in a command click menu or something. The search can look for one word in the spotlight comment, it doesnt have to find the whole thing.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    nace33nace33 Posts: 94member
    Does anyone know how to sort a smart folder in leopard other than by Name, Kind, and Last Opened. All I want to do is sort by date created.