More evidence of Apple's iPhone eventually going Intel

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    I've never read so much dribble on a AI thread!
  • Reply 22 of 40
    sachxnsachxn Posts: 21member
    Everything that happens happens for the good.

Sachin
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

No, Apple can go to AMD for laptop chips. Jobs make all sorts of statements, all marketingspeak. The only interest he's aligned to is his shareholders. But if you believe the drivel dolled out by AppleInsider, I guess you'd believe anything.

Sure, they could go to AMD... but is it worth jeopardizing the wonderful partnership they have with Intel?
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sCreeD View Post

Flux Capacitor comes as a 3rd party accessory from Griffin Technology.

(BttF, awesome).

If I shake my iPhone 88 times can I travel through time?
  • Reply 25 of 40
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

Second gen iPhone should have Nvidia apx 2500. It has alot of great features that fit well into apple's multimedia focus including:

Maybe. But will safari run faster?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

I've never read so much dribble on a AI thread!

You haven't been here long, then. (Oh, and I think you mean 'drivel'. Well, maybe 'dribble' is accurate, too, come to think of it).
  • Reply 26 of 40
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

Are you saying this thing is NUCLEAR??

I can't wait for it to split.

Seriously, I don't think a slide from an Intel presentation means much. It could, but it's easy to just copy and paste an image of a very recognized device to make the point.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

No, Apple can go to AMD for laptop chips.

Why would they want to do that?

Apple doesn't just throw random chips in their products like Dell or any other crap box company. Apple builds the platform around a chip line and optimizes for it.

There's also the fact that Intel has had trouble keeping up with Apple's demand for specific lines of chips. Do you really think that AMD can keep up with that kind of supply?
  • Reply 28 of 40
    I can be wrong, but Intel have their own ARM processors line too, right?

So even if Apple is planning on cuting one suplier, switching to Intel, they can still use ARM processors from Intel, there is no reason to switch to another processor that doesn't show any advantage over the ARM platform.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:

No no no. It's electrical.

It just needs a thermonuclear reaction to charge the battery to run the platform.

ahhh these bttf refs never get old
  • Reply 30 of 40
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:

Why would they want to do that?

Apple doesn't just throw random chips in their products like Dell or any other crap box company. Apple builds the platform around a chip line and optimizes for it.

There's also the fact that Intel has had trouble keeping up with Apple's demand for specific lines of chips. Do you really think that AMD can keep up with that kind of supply?

You spout marketing drivel like a pro. Apple take standard Intel processors and use the standard chipset with a few of their own features thrown in (camera, FireWire, etc). It's the least important part of Apple's design, the most important being the industrial design and the software. And the marketing. They could switch processors and chipsets to AMD with little effort. It's all packaged and integrated by the processor vendors these days. OEM's do little in terms of hard chip design.

Apple isn't that large compared to the rest of the market. Remember they have about 2% or 3% market share. I'm sure AMD would make a special effort to accommodate them.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fabianoarruda View Post

So even if Apple is planning on cuting one suplier, switching to Intel, they can still use ARM processors from Intel, there is no reason to switch to another processor that doesn't show any advantage over the ARM platform.

Nope, they sold them off a little while ago.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Sure, they could go to AMD... but is it worth jeopardizing the wonderful partnership they have with Intel?

I think Intel needs Apple more than Apple needs Intel. They can use AMD, who have better designs and are catching up in the process stakes, where Intel has an advantage.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Sold to Marvell for $600M
  • Reply 34 of 40
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

There might still be some dealing involved. At least for a while, Intel still made the chips for Marvell.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

There might still be some dealing involved. At least for a while, Intel still made the chips for Marvell.

IIRC Marvell are fabless so they'd have to get them made somewhere.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

yeah I just forgot that...

by the way, I thing it was just stupid what intel did...

ARM is still the leading processor architecture in smartphones and these kind of devices, its a huge market that intel bypassed. And as it seems this Atom architecture is far away behind ARM...
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Quote:

yeah I just forgot that...

by the way, I thing it was just stupid what intel did...

ARM is still the leading processor architecture in smartphones and these kind of devices, its a huge market that intel bypassed. And as it seems this Atom architecture is far away behind ARM...

I presume they're betting that $600M fills the gap between their existing ARM sales and the introduction of Atom although it seems to me that Atom doesn't quite go low-end/low-power enough to be in quite the same market.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

I think the point is, if Apple ever found itself in a position where Intel was unable to meet Apple's requirements (that is, Intel was the one jeopardizing the relationship, and Apple was simply in a position of retaliating), there is a second source (AMD) which would require a minimal (if any) software re-spin in order to incorporate into their products.

Intel knows this, and therefore, this ever-present threat from a high-profile PR customer hopefully keeps focused on satisfying said customer.

In fact, I'd be shocked if Apple didn't have AMD-based Macs sitting in a lab somewhere right now, lying in wait just a few steps of refinement short of a sell-able product, just in case the need ever arises.

The AMD card is definitely one that stacks the deck in Apple's favour. Yet another example of the benefits of open competition.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    thttht Posts: 5,605member
    As part of Intel's sale of the StrongArm IP to Marvell, Intel continues to fab StrongArm CPUs for Marvell. I don't know when or if Intel will stop manufacturing StrongArm CPUs.

AMD is dead and buried as far as I'm concerned. They'll never come back. The economics to get to the next fab node is pretty much beyond their reach now. They may rely on some other fab company (IBM) to fab CPUs at smaller nodes, but they'll always be a year, or years, behind.

Intel Atom won't make it into an iPhone or iPod touch form factor until 2010, maybe. If Apple builds a Moorestown device, it'll be a much bigger device. Something between the iPhone and a MIDs you'll see with Menlow, er Centrino Atom, devices.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kjgienapp View Post

If I shake my iPhone 88 times can I travel through time?

not in a public place, could get arrested for exposure.