I can't Cut anything

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ever since I've had my Mac (a month), I've never been able to cut... well, anything at all. I tried Edit+Cut, Command+X, everything I could think of, nothing worked.

I heard that there's a problem with a Logitech Remote Software. I'd gladly delete it from my computer, except I can't find it whatsoever. I also tried repairing my permissions to no avail.

Does anyone have any ideas or knowledge about the subject?

My drag function also sometimes stops working. I usually have to reset the application. This mainly occurs in iTunes, but it also occurs in finder every once in a while.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Make a new user and see if the same problem occurs when logged in as the new user...
  • Reply 2 of 9
    -nova--nova- Posts: 64member
    Nope, didn't solve anything. And yes, I tried both with and without admin options for them.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -Nova- View Post

Nope, didn't solve anything. And yes, I tried both with and without admin options for them.

Well, I'm still not sure what you mean by can't cut anything (Mac OS X does not "cut" files), but if it occurs with two separate accounts then the problem is in the System folder or the /Library folder.

Archive and Install will replace the /System folder, preserving all of your Home folder intact.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I won't lose any important data by doing that, right?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -Nova- View Post

I won't lose any important data by doing that, right?

Nope - everything in the System folder is saved in a Previous Systems folder, and a new System is installed. Everything else is left alone. In the rare case that you installed an app that put something in the System folder (which no app should do), you can always retrieve it from the Previous Systems folder.

Your Home folder with all the documents music etc, and the /Applications folder will not be touched.

Just be sure to choose Archive and Install when you go through the installer. Choose to preserve user and network settings.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Okay, I'm starting to get pissed right now. I did that, and it moved things to places I didn't want, gave me a new user, and it STILL won't let me use the god damn cut function! WTF?!

I think I'm going to get Apple on this, as this is starting to become ridiculous. I have AppleCare, so who do I call or what.

Thanks for your help so far, I know you tried... still... >:-(
  • Reply 7 of 9
    What did it move? And to where? I have done hundreds of Archive Installs and they never messed up once.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

What did it move? And to where? I have done hundreds of Archive Installs and they never messed up once.

My User Folder and what, to a Previous System folder. I have to move everything now (I've done it now, lost one or two Dashboard Applications, but oh well).
  • Reply 9 of 9
    you could try reinstalling the software